Sponsored by:

Right Rear Wheel Bearing Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 08:41 PM
swartzzz
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Right Rear Wheel Bearing Issue

So I try my 997.2 Carrera S alot. This evening, I noticed classic signs that a right rear wheel bearing is starting to go bad. My question, should you replace both rear at the same time? You would think that the left rear would go first, right?
Old 07-18-2018, 09:45 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 861 Posts

My indy told me to just replace what was needed. One of my rear went first on my Boxster, but I had him replace both and give me the parts..... both bearings were worn with the ***** looking a bit pitted... one was worse than the other but there was clearly wear. Then when the front one went, again replaced both and both showed similar wear to the rears.

My rational for replacing both was that I planned to keep the car a long long time.... 197K miles on the chassis (and two engines)... so what the heck.

YMMV

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-18-2018, 10:04 PM
swartzzz
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

It is odd to me that the right rear went before the left rear. Alot of wear on the left on the US tracks. More right hand turns.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:38 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I recently had the left rear wheel bearing replaced and my indy said the same thing; no need to replace both. They should last the life of the car, or at least a lot longer then mine did. My car ('09 C2S) has only 36k miles. It sees a lot of track duty but the track it sees the most is counter-clockwise so more left turns. Not sure that has anything to do with it.

BTW - it's a laborious job (read - expensive). My indy recommended a full four wheel alignment after the bearing job, which the car needed anyway. All in was about $1500.

Quick Reply: Right Rear Wheel Bearing Issue