Sponsored by:

Oil extractor use on 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 03:33 PM
Kipp
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Oil extractor use on 997.2

I'm considering an oil extractor for easier oil changes on my 997.2 4S. Has anyone used one successfully? My concern is the lack of a dipstick tube on these motors, so I'm hoping someone can confirm that it can be extracted from the oil fuller tube. Thorough Google searches turned up zilch. Cheers.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:56 PM
larrysb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Not possible on the 997.2 engine. There’s no place to run the suction probe as far as I can tell.

On in the other hand, it is quite easy to change oil. Even without a lift, a low profile drain pan will slide under with the car on rino ramps.

Youll also need need a tool to reset the oil life monitor. Porsche didn’t leave any means to reset it like most other cars.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:42 PM
Kipp
Intermediate

Thanks Larry. I just changed the oil via drain plug a couple of days ago, without lifting the car. Much easier than any other car I've done. But it always creates such a mess trying to transfer the old oil to another container. I figured an oil extractor eliminates this extra step. I guess at my age I'm trying to avoid laying on the ground. I'd pay for an oil change, but I'd rather put the money towards top tier oil and more frequent changes.

Another question for anyone willing to chime in...how much oil is represented between the minimum and maximum bars on the oil level indicator? 1 quart?

I drained it and added 7 quarts. So I'm guessing that answers my question. I'll add a half quart and measure again once up to operating temperature.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:07 PM
E368
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kipp
Another question for anyone willing to chime in...how much oil is represented between the minimum and maximum bars on the oil level indicator? 1 quart?
1.3 qts for the 997.2 non-S. But the manual recommeneds only adding .5 qts at a time.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:18 PM
Kipp
Intermediate

Originally Posted by E368

1.3 qts for the 997.2 non-S. But the manual recommeneds only adding .5 qts at a time.
Love the efficiency of these forums. I'll do just that... Half quart and check the level again
Old 07-15-2018, 06:49 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

Oil change on a 997.2 is one of the easiest jobs I've seen on a car. You don't even need to lift the car to do it. I recommend using an open-top drain pan though, as the oil comes out fast. It'll easily overflow one of those enclosed style catch containers.

Quick Reply: Oil extractor use on 997.2