Sponsored by:

Installing Sparco Evo seats - Can't swap over seat belt recepticle

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 08:33 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Installing Sparco Evo seats - Can't swap over seat belt recepticle

Hey guys, posting in the 997 section as there is way more traffic here than the 99TT or HPDE forums. I'm installing Sparco Evo seats in my 997.1TT for HPDE. I have 18 way adaptive sport seats as standard.

I've run into a road block with swapping the seat belt receptacle over to the Sparco seat. The receptacle has the sensor hard wired inside the case, and the other end of the sensor wire terminates inside the wiring harness for the seat along with a bunch of other functions. There does not seem to be a way to remove the receptacle from the seat without cutting ALL the wires going into the yellow harness, and then attaching quick connects for reconnection when I put the stock seat back in between DE days. The yellow/blue wire I'm holding with my fingers below is the receptacle wire. The other wires go to other areas of the seat, and INTO the seat so they're not possible to disconnect from the other end.

There has to be tons of people out there with buckets in 997's that still use the factory 3 point belt for the street. Am I missing something obvious here? How do I get the receptacle swapped over to the race seat without hacking up the wiring underneath the oem seat?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Cheers

Old 07-14-2018, 04:24 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 100 Posts

Problem solved: the seat belt connector inside the yellow harness connector actually separates and comes out. Quite the design...

Old 07-15-2018, 10:25 AM
cnr2003
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm installing the same seats and have a similar question. I decided not to use the factory receptacles so I didn't have to mess with the seats. Instead I purchased new ones which should be the GT2 part numbers that are longer than the current ones (997-803-183-03 & 997-803-183-10). One of them came with the wire attached, but the other does not have a wire.

Does the passenger seat not have to be plugged in? Will the airbags still work properly? Or do I need to just pull the receptable off the original seat, which does have a wire attached?
Old 08-26-2018, 08:40 PM
MJFDDS
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Reviving this thread. I am swapping from adaptives to aftermarket buckets. Can the receptacle from the adaptives be used on the buckets (specifically the Sparco SPX)? AndI'm assuming that connector cannot be plugged into the harness going to the car separately.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:05 AM
apextheorem
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cnr2003
I'm installing the same seats and have a similar question. I decided not to use the factory receptacles so I didn't have to mess with the seats. Instead I purchased new ones which should be the GT2 part numbers that are longer than the current ones (997-803-183-03 & 997-803-183-10). One of them came with the wire attached, but the other does not have a wire.

Does the passenger seat not have to be plugged in? Will the airbags still work properly? Or do I need to just pull the receptable off the original seat, which does have a wire attached?
Reviving this thread again. Does anyone have a solution to the fact that the passenger side receptacle doesn't have the wire? Does the regular 997 passenger side receptacle not have the wire either?
Old 12-03-2018, 12:45 PM
MJFDDS
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Can't comment on the receptacles for the buckets, but all other 997 seats have a wire attached.
Originally Posted by apextheorem
Reviving this thread again. Does anyone have a solution to the fact that the passenger side receptacle doesn't have the wire? Does the regular 997 passenger side receptacle not have the wire either?
Old 01-01-2024, 09:46 AM
KrisA
Racer

Received 223 Likes on 129 Posts

@cstyles I know this is an old thread, it's a long shot to get an answer, but thanks in advance for any help you can give.

I'm in the (long) process of mounting some Recaro Pole Positions in my Cayman, the car is currently in storage away from home so I'm not able to tear into it right now, but I'm getting my ducks in a row. My question is around the seatbelt receptacle you showed above, once the grey plug on the receptacle is free from the yellow harness does it simply plug into the car? Or do you need a separate yellow harness to accept the grey plug and then plug both into the car?

I already need the coding done to code out the thorax airbags and passenger seat weight sensor, I'm wondering if I'm better off just asking for the seatbelt to be coded out as well?

Quick Reply: Installing Sparco Evo seats - Can't swap over seat belt recepticle