Sponsored by:

New 997.1 C4S Owner in FL

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 12:07 PM
flvraptor
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 997.1 C4S Owner in FL

Hi everyone! I was a proud owner of a 1997 993 before a lapse in judgement 15 years ago made me trade it in for another vehicle. After cycling through several other vehicles, the 911 itch came back in full force. I've been trolling these forums for a few months while searching for a used 996 or 997. Well, I've recently pulled the trigger on a one owner 2008 C4S so I thought I should introduce myself and thank everyone for the great insights provided so far. I'm sure I will be more active in this forum.

She's a stock 2008 Meteor Grey 997.1 C4S with matching lobster claw wheels. Sports Chrono Plus, Bose, Nav, Stainless Steel Exhaust. Sadly, it is a Tip, but it's the one concession I had to make to my SO since she does not drive a stick. I doubt she will be using it very much, but she said it would be "nice". Having just gotten stuck in an hour traffic jam, I am starting to appreciate the Tip.

Just having put about 1k miles on the car, I have to say that I love it! Power delivery is smooth, pulls hard, handling is tight, no weird noises around tight corners, etc. And, the air conditioner works perfectly - I live close to Jacksonville, FL so this is very important.

I think the first thing I'm going to tackle is replacing the stock headunit with something that supports CarPlay. The stock Nav is horrible and the maps go back to the stone age. I'm not an audiophile by any stretch so I'll be looking for the simplest solution to provide basic functionality with nav and hands-free phone. I've already seen a few posts about this topic, but haven't decided which direction to go yet. Will definitely need to review the DIYs and other info on this more closely now.

Another thing that happened recently was a weird glitch with the auto locking function. I used to be able to turn off the car, remove the key, open the door and get out car without any issues. I could lock it with the remote or leave it unlocked if I'm just in the immediate vicinity. Now, when I turn off the car and remove the key, the horn sounds and the car tries to lock itself immediately. It doesn't really give a lot of time. I can't even get out of the car and walk around to the gas filler door without the car trying to lock itself. I have to press the fob to unlock the car so I can get the filler door open. Weird. I will be doing some searching on this, but just haven't had the time. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Anyway, thanks again to the community!
Old 07-13-2018, 10:54 PM
SF997S
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Congrats and welcome! Post some pics.

And I'd dig through the PCM manual for more on the door locking. Perhaps there is a simple setting you can adjust.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:01 PM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Welcome. Sounds like an awesome car. Congratulations.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:09 PM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Congratulations! Post some photos - sounds like a nice car.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:54 AM
E368
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flvraptor
I am starting to appreciate the Tip....

I think the first thing I'm going to tackle is replacing the stock headunit with something that supports CarPlay.
Nothing wrong with a Tip. The magic of these cars for me is in the steering/handling.

I just installed this Pioneer Apple Car Play in mine and I love it:

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...rs/MVH-1400NEX

Huge improvement in my opinion.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:42 AM
IPabon
Intermediate

Congratulation. I live near Jacksonville. I live inSaint Marys GA right in the other side of the bridge on 95 Ga exit 1. I will be very interested in your head unit replacement project. I recently purchased a 2009 CS2 cab.

I just became a member of the Local PCA. The local group is active and has activity’s pretty regularly.

Hope we meet soon.

Ivan
Old 07-14-2018, 09:44 AM
IPabon
Intermediate

Congratulation. I live near Jacksonville. I live inSaint Marys GA right in the other side of the bridge on I95 Ga exit 1. I will be very interested in your head unit replacement project. I recently purchased a 2009 CS2 cab.

I just became a member of the Local PCA. The local group is active and has activity’s pretty regularly.

Hope we meet soon.

Ivan
Old 07-14-2018, 09:44 AM
karl1672
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats and welcome from SE FL
Old 07-14-2018, 06:20 PM
flvraptor
AutoX

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Been raining a lot in the Jacksonville area. I'll wash the car one of these days and will take some pics to post.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:21 PM
flvraptor
AutoX

Originally Posted by E368
Nothing wrong with a Tip. The magic of these cars for me is in the steering/handling.

I just installed this Pioneer Apple Car Play in mine and I love it:

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...rs/MVH-1400NEX

Huge improvement in my opinion.
Looks like a decent unit at a good price. Thanks!

Quick Reply: New 997.1 C4S Owner in FL