Sponsored by:

Driver's Door Electrics T-shooting Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 03:53 PM
sbbarnett
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Driver's Door Electrics T-shooting Help

Greetings: I need some advice troubleshooting an electrics issue in the driver’s side door of my 2005 997 Carrera S Cab. I recently purchased the vehicle. The PPI showed that the driver’s side door lock had a mechanical issue.Turning the key does nothing.The electric locking worked fine. To repair this issue, I removed the door internal panel and the door carrier unit according to the service manual. This required disconnecting the battery, removing both the head airbag unit and the window regulator.I was then able to see with an inspection mirror that the white plastic flat-ended shaft from the lock cylinder mechanism was not in its proper slot in the lock unit.I removed the door handle mechanism and reassembled with the flat properly installed. I then reinstalled all the parts removed to gain access, and reconnected the battery. Now the mechanical lock works, but all of the electrics in the door are inoperative. This includes the driver’s side mirror, the window switches, and the light in the lower corner.
I opened the door back up, thinking that I had missed a connection somewhere, but I couldn’t find anything amiss. I don’t have the electrical schematics, so narrowing down where in the system the culprit could be will be a nightmare.

I’d like to know if anyone can offer any troubleshooting advice.

TIA - Steve

Last edited by sbbarnett; 07-06-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:06 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 861 Posts

Good job, that was not easy... really fidley work to get that handle out... I did it to replace the micro-switch.

I can offer only what you already know..... break and reconnect the plugs, check for pinches, and check fuse box. If you have a Durametric, that is really good and showing these Porsche deep codes .... those things are pretty amazing at ID'ng this stuff.

What about the window drop? Is that working? Does it drop with the outside key? Half pulling the handle on the outside? Half pulling the handle on the inside? I think there is a third sensor too... not sure where.

Sounds like a pinch causing a fuse pop. if all not getting power.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-07-2018, 12:30 PM
sbbarnett
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Issue resolved. The main connector between the door outer panel and the window regulator has an orange locking clip. If you don't open that orange clip all the way forward when you reconnect it is possible to close the clip without fully engaging the pins. Reseated properly and everything is good.

Whew. I was beating myself up over this.

Quick Reply: Driver's Door Electrics T-shooting Help