Sponsored by:

Front windshield rubber issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 12:24 PM
db997gts
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Front windshield rubber issues?

The top of my front windshield rubber seal is becoming deformed. Anyone have a fix shy of replacing the entire glass to get the rubber replaced? At this point it is just cosmetic, no leaks. It is the original glass as far as I know.
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2018, 12:43 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

My car had some crappy aftermarket windshield and gasket when I first bought it. A new gasket is $100 and you have to remove the windshield to replace it. All shops said it was a 50/50 the windshield would crack on removal and the price really wasn't much different than buying a new windshield. Luckily I got a rock chip a few months later and insurance replaced it...so problem solved :-)

You could ask a windshield shop if they could fix with a heat gun but I dont know if that would work.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:11 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
My car had some crappy aftermarket windshield and gasket when I first bought it. A new gasket is $100 and you have to remove the windshield to replace it. All shops said it was a 50/50 the windshield would crack on removal and the price really wasn't much different than buying a new windshield. Luckily I got a rock chip a few months later and insurance replaced it...so problem solved :-)

You could ask a windshield shop if they could fix with a heat gun but I dont know if that would work.
+1

The rubber is actually a pretty big thing that "L"s under the glass. Use a small pick and re-position the rubber. In the heat of summer, that should hold. Otherwise don't look at it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: Front windshield rubber issues?