Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 base with BB center muffler bypass only

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018 | 11:59 AM
jrthe1
Intermediate

Default 997.2 base with BB center muffler bypass only

I've been reading exhaust threads for 997.2 now for quite a while but most comments and video clips are about the S model and with PSE and or Gundo or Fister.

Please, anyone with 3.6 and BB, Sharkwerks, or AWE, etc. ONLY with no further exhaust or intake mods please chime in and provide sound clips if possible.

BTW, I have a cab with PDK so with top down, believe it or not, the stock exhaust does gurgle and pop on downshifts if you listen carefully..

Thanks. Sorry for yet another exhaust thread
Old 07-03-2018 | 01:15 PM
E368
Rennlist Member

Great timing as I was getting ready to make an identical thread.

Trying to decide between the mid pipe delete or Fister mod, but do not want to do both at first for fear that it will be too loud leaving my condo at 5am...
Old 07-03-2018 | 03:33 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Just a bypass alone was very minimal for me. Between the bypass and the FD, I'd guess that the bypass contributes maybe 15-20% of the sound/loudness. I don't like overly loud cars so thought a bypass would be fine, but on a 997.2 base ... it wasn't.
Old 07-03-2018 | 11:00 PM
jrthe1
Intermediate

Any one else??
Old 07-04-2018 | 12:09 AM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Bypass on its own hardly does anything, aurally speaking. Unless you're planning to do Gundo (or have PSE), save your money as the two should be done in conjunction with one another.

And if you're worried about the car being too loud, buy a Prius.
Old 07-04-2018 | 07:16 AM
LISsailor
Rennlist Member

I have a .2 coupe and only have the Fister bypass. It’s sounds pretty great and is a good compromise between civility and aural pleasure. There are times I want to add the center bypass but I don’t want my car to be overly loud. Go with the Fister alone. I think you’ll be disappointed with the center bypass. At least that’s what my research told me.
Old 07-04-2018 | 08:21 AM
E368
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WantA997
And if you're worried about the car being too loud, buy a Prius.
Haha, that's cute. For me personally, it is about having respect for my neighbors as mine gets driven everyday and I don't want to be "that guy" leaving at 5 in the morning with some obnoxious exhaust.

Originally Posted by LISsailor
I have a .2 coupe and only have the Fister bypass. It’s sounds pretty great and is a good compromise between civility and aural pleasure.
This is what I am thinking of starting off with.

Last edited by E368; 07-04-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-04-2018 | 12:33 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Starting with the Fisters is a good choice. If you think they are too quiet then you can add the center muffler bypass.

If if you go the other way around, the change won’t be as noticeable as the stock mufflers will still keep your car too quiet.

I also did the Fisters first, and then added the center muffler bypass from AWE Tuning shortly after. BTW, I don’t think that your neighbors will be annoyed even with the Fisters + bypass.
Old 07-04-2018 | 02:19 PM
jrthe1
Intermediate

Wanta997-I have a Harley with drag pipes so I'm not shy about making noise!
Old 07-04-2018 | 05:06 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

I have an '09 C2 Coupe with PDK which I bought a couple of years ago which was (and is today) pristine with only 11K miles to boot. The first mod I did was to rip out the center muffler, replace it with Billy Boat cross pipes and while at it, removed the side mufflers and had a 2" Gundo hack done.

Net result: Yes, it's at bit louder but not overly but above 3K RPM, it's what a Porsche should sound like. So if you're worried about your neighbors, keep it below 3,000 around the neighborhood. Then after that it's all smiles and nods from those around you.
Old 07-04-2018 | 05:55 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Astur
I have an '09 C2 Coupe with PDK which I bought a couple of years ago which was (and is today) pristine with only 11K miles to boot. The first mod I did was to rip out the center muffler, replace it with Billy Boat cross pipes and while at it, removed the side mufflers and had a 2" Gundo hack done.

Net result: Yes, it's at bit louder but not overly but above 3K RPM, it's what a Porsche should sound like. So if you're worried about your neighbors, keep it below 3,000 around the neighborhood. Then after that it's all smiles and nods from those around you.
And this opens the discussion ... not all gundo hacks are equivalent. Pipe size matters!!!

I got the standard Fister with 1.5 inch (I believe) pipes. Sounds nice but the 2 inch could be nicer. I've been thinking center bypass but not sure I need it. My ears don't work as well as they used to and the coupe deadens a lot of the sound.

Larger sway bars, semi solid motor mounts, and a center radiator trump the exhaust.
Old 07-05-2018 | 06:49 AM
adnan76
Instructor

Originally Posted by jrthe1
I've been reading exhaust threads for 997.2 now for quite a while but most comments and video clips are about the S model and with PSE and or Gundo or Fister.

Please, anyone with 3.6 and BB, Sharkwerks, or AWE, etc. ONLY with no further exhaust or intake mods please chime in and provide sound clips if possible.

BTW, I have a cab with PDK so with top down, believe it or not, the stock exhaust does gurgle and pop on downshifts if you listen carefully..

Thanks. Sorry for yet another exhaust thread

Here's my car with the Fabspeed cross-over, *just* idling. For the first time, I actually heard my car driving away (by a valet) last week, and I thought to myself "whoa, I never realized my car sounded nice!".

Old 07-05-2018 | 09:06 AM
cgaites
Rennlist Member

I have a 2010 base Carrera with just the Sharkwerks center bypass. From inside the car you cannot hear a difference from stock below ~6K rpm. As you near redline you hear a nice sound, but it is still quiet. Outside the car it sounds fantastic, and not at all loud. Just more “exotic” I guess. I do plan on picking up some Fisters soon though as just the bypass is simply to quiet inside the cabin.
Old 07-05-2018 | 01:10 PM
E368
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgaites
I have a 2010 base Carrera with just the Sharkwerks center bypass. From inside the car you cannot hear a difference from stock below ~6K rpm. As you near redline you hear a nice sound, but it is still quiet. Outside the car it sounds fantastic, and not at all loud. Just more “exotic” I guess. I do plan on picking up some Fisters soon though as just the bypass is simply to quiet inside the cabin.
Great, now I am back on the fence...haha
Old 07-05-2018 | 04:05 PM
jrthe1
Intermediate

cgaites-Don't forget I have a cab and put the top down whenever possible.

Quick Reply: 997.2 base with BB center muffler bypass only