Sponsored by:

Are there exhaust gains?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 09:07 PM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Are there exhaust gains?

is it worth going to aftermarket pieces? Are there any real power gains to be had? I was going with Fister just for sound, but is it worth a bit more to go aftermarket? I do have the evoms intake (also for the sound)
Old 06-29-2018, 10:17 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

you get very little hp from hardware. only when you add the ecu tune do you get benefits from the hardware. If you get more intake and exhaust air flow, the engine doesnt utilize it unless you have a tune that tells the engine to utilize it
Old 06-29-2018, 10:25 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by okbarnett
you get very little hp from hardware. only when you add the ecu tune do you get benefits from the hardware. If you get more intake and exhaust air flow, the engine doesnt utilize it unless you have a tune that tells the engine to utilize it
the ecu uses closed loop fueling so it has a pretty wide range of stft and ltft ability upwards of 25% or much more than an exhaust would require. But yeah actually hardware and software have relatively minimal gains so do it for sound.

mike
Old 06-30-2018, 08:52 AM
FZP
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've installed a Tubi exhaust approx 12 months ago and did it purely for sound. The manufacturer claim 20bhp, which equates to a 5% increase in bhp. The bum dyno says something has changed but it's negligible.
Do if for noise only otherwise you're going to be disappointed.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:28 PM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
the ecu uses closed loop fueling so it has a pretty wide range of stft and ltft ability upwards of 25% or much more than an exhaust would require. But yeah actually hardware and software have relatively minimal gains so do it for sound.

mike
You are correct, however, okbarnet has a point also. At wide open throttle or somewhere near it, the ecu resorts back to open loop and the engine is fueled and timed only by its pre-programmed tables. The question is does Porsche have any allowance written into the factory tables when addition airflow over factory max is measured via the mass air flow sensor?
Old 06-30-2018, 06:41 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Originally Posted by Wolfk
You are correct, however, okbarnet has a point also. At wide open throttle or somewhere near it, the ecu resorts back to open loop and the engine is fueled and timed only by its pre-programmed tables. The question is does Porsche have any allowance written into the factory tables when addition airflow over factory max is measured via the mass air flow sensor?
That is the case with a lot of Japanese cars in tuning but the Bosh and the simos German tuning does closed loop feeling anywhere except cold start. Literally as soon as you touch the throttle you enter closed loop feeling and you will stay that way under wide open throttle.

mike
Old 06-30-2018, 07:27 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 861 Posts

Depends.... what year/model is your car?

If you have a 997.2, like I do, Sharkwerks claims 12HP 14TQ and have dyno plots..... I am pretty sure they used to claim 18HP no? hmmmm.

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=193

Anywho.... I can't tell the difference. Sounds nicer without being loud.

Peace
Bruce in Peacy

Trending Topics

Old 07-01-2018, 06:33 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Can’t say, but my 991.1 has a Sharkwerks X Pipe (just a replacement of the large center muffler) and when researching various brands who make said X Pipes, I saw gains claimed as high as 35 crank HP. Lol. I’d be happy if it gives 5. But in reality it’s all about freeing up that addictively glorious sound. And in that sense, it’s beyond worth it.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:39 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hazeltine
is it worth going to aftermarket pieces? Are there any real power gains to be had?

There are limited gains to be found either with software or hardware on a naturally aspirated 997. But it also will depend on which model you have. The engine is mostly just a vacuum pump so improving how easy it is for the engine to breathe (intakes, headers, exhaust) can help make more power. Porsche has choked down some of the engines more than others. It would be easier to find power from I/H/E changes on a base model Carrera than a Carrera GTS, for example. The base models are more restricted when it comes to the headers and intake. For example the Carrera GTS comes with a larger throttle body in the first place, but this is something you can buy and mod in the aftermarket for a Carrera or Carrera S.

Either way if modding for power gains there are much better cars to do it with.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:55 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

I know this is not exactly on topic, but aren't aftermarket exhausts typically a bit lighter weight?
Old 07-02-2018, 07:56 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
I know this is not exactly on topic, but aren't aftermarket exhausts typically a bit lighter weight?
you can save 20-25lbs with some of them
Old 07-02-2018, 09:50 PM
love2drive
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i second that, but don't forget..Sharkwerks center muffler bypass saves about 15lbs.
Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Depends.... what year/model is your car?

If you have a 997.2, like I do, Sharkwerks claims 12HP 14TQ and have dyno plots..... I am pretty sure they used to claim 18HP no? hmmmm.

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=193

Anywho.... I can't tell the difference. Sounds nicer without being loud.

Peace
Bruce in Peacy
Old 07-02-2018, 09:57 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

No offense but the sharkworks performance page is full of so much bs its hard to count it all. And unfortunately because of that trusting their dynos is hard for me especially when you know you can strap your car down for 10 runs and see 20-30 hp differences without changing a single thing.

mike
Old 07-02-2018, 10:36 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
No offense but the sharkworks performance page is full of so much bs its hard to count it all. And unfortunately because of that trusting their dynos is hard for me especially when you know you can strap your car down for 10 runs and see 20-30 hp differences without changing a single thing.
Any opinions on the Fabspeed headers and air intakes (plus the rest of their hardware and yes ECU changes) for the NA Carreras? Their sites claim a 40+ HP boast, but it comes at a pretty steep price.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:53 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by love2drive
i second that, but don't forget..Sharkwerks center muffler bypass saves about 15lbs.
Heyy, thst equates to 1.5 HP, so there’s always that.

Quick Reply: Are there exhaust gains?