Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borescope - some odd findings

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018 | 12:59 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Flat_Six_

Is that a serious question? Also, your pivoting from the issue. No one is asking about a DFI .2 engine. This was .1 specific. (OP has a 2007 C4S Cab with a manual trans. 50k miles)

.1’s can burn some oil.
Sorry brother, I have never heard of such a thing. My only 997.1 was a Turbo and it did not burn any oil either. I had no idea the .1s were burning that much oil. My 996tts didn't burn oil and drove the **** out of those and put up to 80k miles on them.
Old 06-22-2018 | 06:32 AM
bhvrdr
Pro

Originally Posted by Doug H
Sorry brother, I have never heard of such a thing. My only 997.1 was a Turbo and it did not burn any oil either. I had no idea the .1s were burning that much oil. My 996tts didn't burn oil and drove the **** out of those and put up to 80k miles on them.
to be fair there is a big difference between what porsche find "acceptable" and what is "normal". Almost all manufacturers have this 1qt/1000 mile acceptability that gives them wiggle room for the variances in oil consumption a car can have from how it is driven, type of oil used, how it was broken in or is wearing, etc. It frees them from warranty repairs of pistons and rings on moderate to light oil burners

That doesnt mean most of us see 1qt usage every 1k miles. Id bet there is more like 1 in 100 of us burning that much oil on a non track car. Its also not a 997.1 vs 997.2 issue. The same "acceptability" from porsche is likely even in the 991 cars. I have a 997 with 70k miles and definitely dont burn a quart every 1k miles or even every 3k miles.

mike

Last edited by bhvrdr; 06-22-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-22-2018 | 08:28 AM
Flat_Six_
Racer

All good. Just wanted to reassure the OP that his levels were about the same as what I see in my .1, and within acceptable usage.

Last edited by Flat_Six_; 06-22-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-22-2018 | 11:31 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by geeky
It's not a joke. Porsche says it's within tolerance to lose 1qt per 1,000 miles which is crazy to me but mine does consume about 0.5-1qtper 1200-1500 miles.
Yup. The maximum permissible consumption is 1.5 liers per 622 mi per Porsche's TSB on consumption.

EDIT: Did not see the bulletin posted above :-) Someone beat me to it.
Old 06-22-2018 | 11:33 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rkellstrom
So as most of you know, some of our 997s end up with the dreaded bore scoring. I took it upon myself to do some scoping and investigate some of the symptoms I have been experiencing. So I have owned the car for 2 years now and runs great. Now keep in mind before I did this test I was parked on a hill overnight and some oil leaked into the cylinder which I think is pretty normal, in one of the photos you can see the oil resting on the bottom of the cylinder wall. The question is, there is no super obvious scoring. There is a lot of carbon build up. Could this be a faulty oil separator?

Symptoms
  • eats about 1qt roughly every 2k miles
  • never smokes unless on a hill
  • sooty driver side tips
  • its quiet, no tapping, runs smooth
  • visible carbon buildup on top of pistons
  • heavy carbon on valves visible when rotating the motor around

Do you have any ticking when the engine is hot. Would be worse above idle but below 3000 rpm? Is one tailpipe sootier than the other? Was this from bank 2?

You can't check for early signs of bore scoring unless you scope the cylinder with the piston at TDC and go in through the sump area to inspect the bottom of the bores.
Old 06-22-2018 | 02:41 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Do you have any ticking when the engine is hot. Would be worse above idle but below 3000 rpm? Is one tailpipe sootier than the other? Was this from bank 2?

You can't check for early signs of bore scoring unless you scope the cylinder with the piston at TDC and go in through the sump area to inspect the bottom of the bores.
Hey Charles, Appreciate your insight and input over the years from LN engineering.

Could you share some wisdom and elaborate just a bit more on why you ask about "ticking" above idle, but below 3000 rpm?? What mechanically are you looking to know or find out? Is it a constant ticking, sporadic, how loud, tell tale signs, or does oil brand or viscosity make a difference???? etc, etc. Any info is greatly appreciated to increase our awareness. Thanks!
Old 06-22-2018 | 06:47 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Hey Charles, Appreciate your insight and input over the years from LN engineering.

Could you share some wisdom and elaborate just a bit more on why you ask about "ticking" above idle, but below 3000 rpm?? What mechanically are you looking to know or find out? Is it a constant ticking, sporadic, how loud, tell tale signs, or does oil brand or viscosity make a difference???? etc, etc. Any info is greatly appreciated to increase our awareness. Thanks!
Where lifters or tensioner noise usually will quiet up as oil pressure increases above idle engine speeds, piston noise that comes with the increased piston to cylinder clearance resulting from scored bores will be most noticeable above idle and below 3000 rpm. It would sound very similar to a lifter tick and is often mistaken as bad lifters. Sounds similar to injector noise or an exhaust leak to the untrained ear. Piston slap will only get worse as the oil gets warmer and won't go away, where lifters usually will quiet up and can be more intermittent.

Thicker oil will mask the problem as it provides more cushion, but ring seal will eventually be compromised on those cylinders that are scored enough that you will get a CEL for misfires and you will typically see one tail pipe sootier than the other. That's usually the tell-tale sign, especially if it's the bank 2 tail pipe that is dirtier, as bank 2 is always the side to score first.
Old 06-22-2018 | 10:11 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Is this a joke?

The NA 997.2s we had burned Zero oil over 10k miles.
agreed. My 996.1 and 997.2 never burned any oil. I never had to add between oil changes and I drive my Porsche’s hard.
Old 06-23-2018 | 03:28 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Where lifters or tensioner noise usually will quiet up as oil pressure increases above idle engine speeds, piston noise that comes with the increased piston to cylinder clearance resulting from scored bores will be most noticeable above idle and below 3000 rpm. It would sound very similar to a lifter tick and is often mistaken as bad lifters. Sounds similar to injector noise or an exhaust leak to the untrained ear. Piston slap will only get worse as the oil gets warmer and won't go away, where lifters usually will quiet up and can be more intermittent.

Thicker oil will mask the problem as it provides more cushion, but ring seal will eventually be compromised on those cylinders that are scored enough that you will get a CEL for misfires and you will typically see one tail pipe sootier than the other. That's usually the tell-tale sign, especially if it's the bank 2 tail pipe that is dirtier, as bank 2 is always the side to score first.
Thanks Charles! Appreciate the insight and clarification about what to listen for and why. Hopefully none of us experience this and its always good to be well informed just in case.
Old 06-23-2018 | 10:23 AM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Interesting info, thanks for the reply Charles. My C4 has a tick at cold idle that disappears when warm so I assume it's lifters, but I'm still so intrigued about what's going on in those cylinders. I think I'll drop the pan at the next oil change and snake a camera in there.
Old 07-31-2018 | 10:05 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Debating dropping the pan with my next oil change to look around. Nothing is wrong or anything. I am just curious. Will I be able to see into the cylinders or will I need some type of camera snake to look around? This will be on a 997.2

Quick Reply: Borescope - some odd findings