Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Protection for the track...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 01:15 PM
swartzzz
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Headlight Protection for the track...

I am interested in a pair of FRP or Carbon Fiber headlight covers. I want the type that is removable. Does anyone else have these for the track? I would love to know a preferred brand (Considering Getty), but would love to converse with someone first!

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:55 PM
GSXR750
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I’m going to the track next weekend with the POC at the streets of willow.
On motorcycles I use blue painters tape for the head and tail lights, so I’ll try the same with my base 997.2.
I figure for as many times I go to the track painters tape is easy and another thing I won’t forget to pack or leave at the track.
I’ll let you know if it works on a pcar
Mike
Old 06-17-2018, 09:58 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,102 Posts

Put blue painters tape, or I would personally use XPEL Tracwrap. It is clear so you could drive home with it.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:06 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

If you don't mind me asking, why do you want headlight covers for a track day? Getty has a set as well as GT Racing. I've looked at Getty's 997 corner light cover that has a brake duct.

http://www.gt-racing.com/997-headlig...pair-part-822/
Old 06-18-2018, 06:34 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
If you don't mind me asking, why do you want headlight covers for a track day? Getty has a set as well as GT Racing. I've looked at Getty's 997 corner light cover that has a brake duct.

http://www.gt-racing.com/997-headlig...pair-part-822/
Protection from rocks/pebbles scratching or cracking the plastic. However, if you are going to track the car, you just need to accept what could happen. With that said, everyone has there own tolerance of protecting the vehicle, just like they do protecting the driver.
FWIW, I track with a guy that runs a 991.1 GT3 RS, one of his headlights has a crack/crazing from tracking. You have to replace the whole headlight if you want to get the car back to pristine condition. Hopefully the light assembly is the same as other 991's but since it's Porsche it probably has a spoiler on it and it costs 5x times as much since it's a RS....
Old 06-18-2018, 09:23 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
Protection from rocks/pebbles scratching or cracking the plastic. However, if you are going to track the car, you just need to accept what could happen. With that said, everyone has there own tolerance of protecting the vehicle, just like they do protecting the driver.
FWIW, I track with a guy that runs a 991.1 GT3 RS, one of his headlights has a crack/crazing from tracking. You have to replace the whole headlight if you want to get the car back to pristine condition. Hopefully the light assembly is the same as other 991's but since it's Porsche it probably has a spoiler on it and it costs 5x times as much since it's a RS....
Ducati offered headlight blanks for their track kit so I know people use them. At HPDE in CA, I don't see many 911's with headlight covers. I would think that there other things that would get scratched from debris like the front bumper.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:32 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 326 Posts

Quick Reply: Headlight Protection for the track...