Sponsored by:

New user, selling my CTS-V for a 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 04:54 PM
zdeckich
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New user, selling my CTS-V for a 997.1

Hello all, so im new to the forum and new to Porsche's. I currently have a 2011 CTS-V coupe slightly modded making close to 620rwhp. I have been in the market for a clean 997 base or S in a manual. I know if i sell my V i for sure will miss the raw power and low end torque. But i miss having a light weight manual sports car that fun on back roads and occasional track days. I have had a C5 Z06 corvette a few years ago and loved and miss how i could throw that car around tuns and shifting gears with the man pedal. But really have my eye set on a 997 c2 or cs2. So my question is, any big reason why to go with a C2S over a C2 and any major problems to look out for besides the IMS? Im looking for a 997.1 just because it more in my price range. Id like to stay under 50-60k miles and less than $40k. Thank you all for the help.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:10 PM
GT3_ISH
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is my opinion, although it may be a little unpopular, there is no reason to go for an S over a base. Keep it 07 or newer to not have near the IMS issues of the earlier 997s. I know you're coming from a 620whp car, and many will say that should steer you towards the S, but neither car is going to be 620, or even close for that matter. That 30-40hp difference can almost be made up with bolt ons, 93, and a tune if we're really counting ponies.

I've owned cars from 800whp, to 120whp, and I enjoy the hell out of my C4. I understand why you're asking, but you'll be happy with either.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:23 PM
zdeckich
Instructor

Originally Posted by GT3_ISH
I know this is my opinion, although it may be a little unpopular, there is no reason to go for an S over a base. Keep it 07 or newer to not have near the IMS issues of the earlier 997s. I know you're coming from a 620whp car, and many will say that should steer you towards the S, but neither car is going to be 620, or even close for that matter. That 30-40hp difference can almost be made up with bolt ons, 93, and a tune if we're really counting ponies.

I've owned cars from 800whp, to 120whp, and I enjoy the hell out of my C4. I understand why you're asking, but you'll be happy with either.
Yea im not to concerned with the power difference but it would always be in the back of my mind. Biggest option i do want is the Sport Chrono. I do plan on a few mods like exhaust, intake and tune, and i would like to lower it and wheels and tires. But im with you, i have owned several high HP cars and i know this would never be close but i think the pure fun of driving it makes up for alot. Thank you so much for your input.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:11 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Take what you read on this forum with a grain of salt. Over time you may well note a direct correlation between the car folks drive and the car they think makes the most sense. Very little objectivity. "I bought a base car and that's all you need"... or "I have a turbo and everything else is boring"

In my mind it depends on your use case and how you like to enjoy your car hobby. If you plan to drive it like a Camry.. or you love to mod things yourself.. starting with less equipment may be a good fit. I got a little mod crazy with my TTRS before I bought this car, and I didn't want to start out modding it.. so I bought a top spec Carrera (GTS). Better brakes, better suspension, LSD, widebody... figured I'd enjoy it better to start out with all that.

Not one single right way to enjoy a 911. That's where there are umpteen versions.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:20 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

I took a quick glance on AT (with your criteria of <60K miles and <40K) coupe and manual. I saw a few 997.1 Base and S models that were priced within several thousands of each other with color and condition trumping the listings. It's not like the 997.2 Base and S that have a 5-10K price delta. I say go for the S. You'll get PASM, bigger brakes, bigger wheels, bigger displacement, Xenon, white gauges, sport steering wheel
Old 06-15-2018, 01:31 AM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I came from a C5 Z06 as well to a 997.1 4S. You definitely want the S model as youlll notice an immediate drop in torque and hp with the 911s. However these cars makeup for it with their driving dynamics and overall handling. Given your looking for a 997.1 its definitely worth paying more for the S model given all you get...
Old 06-15-2018, 02:24 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

No reason you won't find a good S within your budget and mileage requirements. But if you want to do wheels, tires, exhaust, suspension, and other mods and stay within that 40K budget, a standard model might be the way to go.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:05 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
I took a quick glance on AT (with your criteria of <60K miles and <40K) coupe and manual. I saw a few 997.1 Base and S models that were priced within several thousands of each other with color and condition trumping the listings. It's not like the 997.2 Base and S that have a 5-10K price delta. I say go for the S. You'll get PASM, bigger brakes, bigger wheels, bigger displacement, Xenon, white gauges, sport steering wheel
By the time you are into a low mileage 2007 to 2008 S price point (which mostly of gets you out of the IMS issues, but not necessarily the bore scoring issues), you might as well get a base 997.2. The 997.2's base specs are nearly identical to a 997.1 S's.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:15 PM
zdeckich
Instructor

Originally Posted by OnlineAlias
By the time you are into a low mileage 2007 to 2008 S price point (which mostly of gets you out of the IMS issues, but not necessarily the bore scoring issues), you might as well get a base 997.2. The 997.2's base specs are nearly identical to a 997.1 S's.

Is the power level close in the 997.2 base as the 997.1 S? The .2 are also direct injection as well correct? Sorry still learning these cars lol.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:24 PM
jad4ca
Intermediate

I also went from a tuned CTS-V (2011 sedan w/intake, tune and eibachs) to my 997.2 C2S. You will miss the torque but it's such a different and more rewarding driving experience. My caddy was a rocket but felt a little disconnected from the road in comparison to my 911 (as a ~1k lbs weight difference would do). The 911 I bought had my required options (.2, manual with sport chrono) and some bolt-ons (Sharkwerks bypass and BMC filters) and not much else. I enjoyed driving the car stock and learning the dynamics of the car and have enjoyed making subtle changes to the car (eibachs, spacers, lamin-x, Fister-style mod, SSK, etc.). I still have future mods planned but I like spacing them out because it keeps the experience fresh. The longer I own it, the more I love it. I wouldn't change a thing in my experience but as I look back, knowing what I know now, I would be less hesitant to go with a .1 C2S or .2 C2 and the acceleration difference between these three isn't much at all. I'm sure even a .1 C2 would be awesome.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:59 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

I have a friend with a 2013 CTS/V that I have driven many times. I have a 997.2 C2S with mods and I really notice the difference in low end power. I hope I get used to it.

Quick Reply: New user, selling my CTS-V for a 997.1