Sponsored by:

navigation software incompatible

Old 06-07-2018, 02:07 PM
JABowders
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default navigation software incompatible

Asking for some help...

I installed the NAV module (DVD unit) into my 2005 997 and it worked without issue for about 6 to 8 months without issue, then a few weeks ago when I jumped in to drive to Mid-Ohio it gave me the "Navigation Software Incompatible" error. I have not changed anything since it was installed and it was working.
The map still shows up, but it doesn't update position and direction, but I did notice that over time when I would check the position of the car was different.
Dealer says I have the wrong module and the correct one is $2800.00 ... hopefully you can understand my misgivings, the point I keep making is, IT WORKED, so why is it not working now?
Sorry, just frustrated because the Dealer has had the car for two weeks and they still need it for another week before they will finish the work I asked for them to do... Not very good at contacting me.

I have the center radiator and smile grill to install and I'm biting at the bit to get that started, I'll try re-initiating the NAV DVD when I get the car back. But I'm open to any helpful information.

Thanks.

Latest UPDATE: Re-seated some cabling and connectors the NAV is working again but still shows "Navigation Software Incompatible" but this may be due to the connectors/cabling is still an issue. Also thinking of doing the Firmware Update e.g., Current: PCM: 04202JD1 / 3004 (Model Level A) update to 05024xxx (Model Level B).

And will try to find the PIWIS coding tool to register the items to the PCM to clear the "Warning Triangles". If I can find someone with the PIWIS tools..

Last edited by JABowders; 06-19-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:52 AM
JABowders
Instructor

Just completed the Firmware Update, this weekend. The "Navigation Software Incompatible" error is gone. But I can not get the 2015 Map DVD to load, I have reached out to the supplier to see if there is some way of checking it to see if it is a faulty disk.

I still need to do the PIWIS coding to register the NAV and Phone to the PCM.

Still... be nice if I could just get it all sorted out.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:02 PM
ronvanr
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I also have a 2005 nav system. It is only accurate about half the time. I'll get the same error message, but typically that happens when the car has been sitting outside on a hot day. Best of luck with yours, I've given up on mine.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:27 AM
JABowders
Instructor

Funny thing this morning... my 2015 NAV DVD loaded without issue this morning. So it is all updated and working at the moment. I still need to get the PIWIS coding done, but I will find a shop that is willing to do it verses wanting to replace the car because a light bulb is burnt out.

I do most the work myself because I know it is done correctly and that I replace the parts that required to be replaced, but with the ongoing battle with Proprietary Software and the Right to Repair... Manufacturers are going to have rethink their attitudes, or the public will start rethinking theirs.

AFTERNOON FOLLOW UP: Really hot today, and after work when I started up the car to go home the DVD failed to load I tried the 148 reset but still failed to load. So still having issues. All I can do is smile and shake my head. <shake, shake>

Last edited by JABowders; 07-17-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:19 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by JABowders
I do most the work myself because I know it is done correctly and that I replace the parts that required to be replaced, but with the ongoing battle with Proprietary Software and the Right to Repair... Manufacturers are going to have rethink their attitudes, or the public will start rethinking theirs.
I am like you and do everything myself as much as possible. As far as re-thinking the attitudes of manufacturers, we will have no luck. Young people are not eager to buy a car, even less to maintain it. There is a huge network of dealerships that need to stay in fatty and wealthy business and manufacturers are not going to displease them by offering cars that are easy to repair and maintain. You can see that today in the changing of a battery: what took ten minutes in the past, now requires computers and re-programming.

Yves
Old 07-16-2018, 03:03 PM
RadRacer
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my car, and it's great. Just outdated, but after reading all the nightmares likes these I think I'm going to just give in and go aftermarket. Call it a day. I would like to use Carplay anyway and have a decent backup camera. If i'm not mistaken these aftermarket units don't display anything in the center dash right? Like current radio station, etc? That's the only thing that has me on the fence.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:47 AM
JABowders
Instructor

So... If anyone has a 2015 version of the NAV DVD that is just laying around.... I would be will to give it a shot and see if it works in my system.

I have to question the copy I have, I'm open to ideas of of how to test/check the DVD I have to ensure it is OK. Push come to shove, I'll see if anyone in the next Porscheplatz can test it to see if it errors in their system.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:12 PM
JABowders
Instructor

Well here is another UPDATE:

Oh, Porsche, du so lustig oder einfach nur verrückt! (Oh, Porsche, you so funny or just crazy!)

My Navigation system is working with the 2015 MAP DVD... BUT only when it wants to. I have not been able to discover why it acts up I am at the point when I just accept the fact the I have a very MOODY car, hence the Vanity Plate "MOODSWG"

Verdammte Elektronik, ich alle wollen, ist ein Auto, das funktioniert, gal?
Old 08-04-2018, 03:30 PM
Marshal_Mercer
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to try some Freeze Spray (or other) on your DVD player when it fails. If the Nav works after spraying, you have a part which fails when hot. At least you'll know where is the problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: navigation software incompatible