Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild - What else should be done?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 10:09 PM
TheRealStig
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild - What else should be done?

As some of you may have seen, my 2007 C4S has been diagnosed with bore score. Thankfully it happened while still under Porsche warranty and they are starting the dismantling next week.
While the engine is out, I've asked them to see if the clutch needs doing (120,000kms) as hopefully it'd be a parts only cost seeing as the engine etc is out.

I began thinking is there anything I could do at this point to future proof the car?

Any thoughts folks?
Old 05-25-2018, 10:23 PM
sober_owl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get better sleeves than stock..ln nickies or darton steel liners..ims solution instead of stock bearing.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F173318197603

if its a dealer doing rebuild they might not allow aftermarket stuff..
Old 05-26-2018, 02:33 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If a dealer is doing this they may or may not be amenable to upgrading it with aftermarket parts, which is a pity because unless they go to Nickies you end up with the same risk/probability of repeat bore scoring, and perhaps much sooner than another 120KKm. Regardless, as long as the engine is out I would do the clutch, clutch release fork, DM flywheel, AOS and all associated hoses/tubes, fuel injectors, coil packs and plug wires. If they are amenable to internal upgrades, check out rndengines.com list of what they equip their remanufactured crate engines with and ask for as much or all of that as possible. Personally I would go with and IMS Solution also.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:22 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,201 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by sober_owl
get better sleeves than stock..ln nickies or darton steel liners..ims solution instead of stock bearing.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F173318197603

if its a dealer doing rebuild they might not allow aftermarket stuff..
We've sleeved blocks for dealerships plenty of times over the years. Many dealerships also install LN Retrofit and IMS Solution products, just depends on the dealership. If you are dead set on having a dealer do the job, best to ask if they have done this work before so you aren't their guinea pig.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:29 PM
TheRealStig
Track Day

Thanks for replies guys.
Only reason I'm getting the rebuild done in the dealer is that it's warranty work and free! Is the IMS still an issue in the 2007 3.8s? For some reason I thought they had sorted it out by then.
Thankfully the guy doing the rebuild has been a Porsche mechanic for 15 years and has done rebuilds previously.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:16 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,060 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRealStig
Thanks for replies guys.
Only reason I'm getting the rebuild done in the dealer is that it's warranty work and free! Is the IMS still an issue in the 2007 3.8s? For some reason I thought they had sorted it out by then.
Thankfully the guy doing the rebuild has been a Porsche mechanic for 15 years and has done rebuilds previously.
Links to two documented IMS failures on 07's below. And that's just on this forum. Failures of the upgraded bearing are rare but they do happen and I would have them look into that too while they have everything torn apart anyway. There's a reason they did away with the IMS bearing altogether with the 9A1 engine starting with the 2009 cars.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ml#post8924078

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ml#post9677220
Old 05-27-2018, 11:25 AM
TheRealStig
Track Day

Thanks Sandwedge. Calling in to them tomorrow to discuss what we can do while engine is out, will mention that.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:36 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

IMS failure for 2006-2008 is very rare. I have asked several techs that I trusted with years of experience working at Porsche dealerships full time to give me the honest truth. I told them I am willing to pay to have the motor cracked open and a new ims solution installed. They told me not to worry and enjoy the car! This coming from one of the busiest dealerships here in Los Angeles, that over 15 years they saw maybe a couple of the earlier 2001-2005 with an engine failure due to ims. They told me that they had not seen any failures with model years 2006-2008, including the Cayman/boxster 3.4 engines.

with that said, by all means, if the engine is being cracked open make sure a fresh bearing is installed. If they are not willing to do the ims solution, then at least make sure they replace your old ims bearing with a brand new one that has that latest/greatest part #
I would +1 any of the suggestions that some of the engine rebuilders have listed as far as cylinder liners, pistons, rings etc.

These are all "while your in there" suggestions. Definitely freshen up all the clutch parts as someone listed above
-clutch
-dm flywheel
-throw out bearing
-clutch release fork
-pivot ball
-pilot bearing..
-new rear main seal
-clutch slave cylinder
-crankshaft position sensor
-AOS
-spark plugs
-coils
-injectors
-engine mounts
-water tank
-water pump
-coolant hoses
-new starter
-battery to starter cable (if not done already)
-Serpentine Belt
-transmission mount (inspect)

The list can go on and on, and those are just suggestions. Every part listed adds $$$$$
You will have to chose wisely, but I would seriously consider most of those parts be replaced if they have not been done yet on a car with 120k kilometers (75k miles)
Old 05-28-2018, 11:20 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

What is the warranty on the new engine from Porsche. 2 years?
I'm assuming that would start, from back on road.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:50 PM
TheRealStig
Track Day

Called down to them today to see what the progress is. They are starting the disassembly tomorrow. Requested the clutch change - parts only cost thankfully - €700.
I'll enquire about the warranty 'reset' on the engine, good call!
Old 05-28-2018, 05:58 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

2007 - 11 year Porsche warranty?
Or aftermarket warranty?
If it is aftermarket? Then it is really like insurance.
Someone is paying for this job, through insurance.
You should therefore get normal Porsche warranty on the repair.
On my BMW it was two years. Don't know what Dublin is.

-------------
Warranty Periods

The warranty period begins on the day of delivery to the customer or the date the vehicle was registered as a demo. The following coverage applies:
  • 4 years / 80,000 kms for all new vehicles whichever occurs first*;
  • 2 years warranty for genuine Porsche parts, remanufactured parts and accessories, which are used or sold outside of warranty work. The warranty period for Porsche parts which are used in connection with warranty work ends contemporaneously with the warranty period for the purchased item which has become defective;
  • 8 years / 130 000 kms Emission design and performance warranty
  • 10-year corrosion warranty against perforation in the bodyshell (please refer to the conditions in the Owner's Manual and Warranty and Maintenance handbook)
Porsche pre-owned Porsche Approved Warranty is up to a maximum of 2 years / 160 000 kms, once the vehicle is outside the original new vehicle warranty period. A total of 6 years or 160 000kms whichever comes first.

Warranty can be obtained from any Porsche dealership across the world.

*Applies for vehicles purchased and registered in the USA and Canada. (If bought outside the USA and Canada, warranty is 2 years / unlimited kilometres).

https://pfaffporsche.com/national/44...y-periods.html
Old 05-28-2018, 08:25 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by qikqbn
IMS failure for 2006-2008 is very rare. I have asked several techs that I trusted with years of experience working at Porsche dealerships full time to give me the honest truth. I told them I am willing to pay to have the motor cracked open and a new ims solution installed. They told me not to worry and enjoy the car! This coming from one of the busiest dealerships here in Los Angeles, that over 15 years they saw maybe a couple of the earlier 2001-2005 with an engine failure due to ims. They told me that they had not seen any failures with model years 2006-2008, including the Cayman/boxster 3.4 engines.

with that said, by all means, if the engine is being cracked open make sure a fresh bearing is installed. If they are not willing to do the ims solution, then at least make sure they replace your old ims bearing with a brand new one that has that latest/greatest part #
I would +1 any of the suggestions that some of the engine rebuilders have listed as far as cylinder liners, pistons, rings etc.

These are all "while your in there" suggestions. Definitely freshen up all the clutch parts as someone listed above
-clutch
-dm flywheel
-throw out bearing
-clutch release fork
-pivot ball
-pilot bearing..
-new rear main seal
-clutch slave cylinder
-crankshaft position sensor
-AOS
-spark plugs
-coils
-injectors
-engine mounts
-water tank
-water pump
-coolant hoses
-new starter
-battery to starter cable (if not done already)
-Serpentine Belt
-transmission mount (inspect)

The list can go on and on, and those are just suggestions. Every part listed adds $$$$$
You will have to chose wisely, but I would seriously consider most of those parts be replaced if they have not been done yet on a car with 120k kilometers (75k miles)
This would be my list as well. Most of these are parts only jobs since they are removing these items during the rebuild. Youll have a well sorted ride when all finished.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:08 AM
TheRealStig
Track Day

The current warranty that this work is being done under is the 2 year warranty I got with the Porsche Approved sale from the P Dealer. Thank jayzus that exists....
Option to extend (at a cost obviously!) By another 2 years when this expires subject to inspection / mileage etc.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:43 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

When do you have to buy this extended? Now? or before the expiration of the rebuild 2 years?
What is the cost now, vs 729 days from now? Is it transferable to a new owner. Is there cash back value if not used?
Old 05-29-2018, 11:16 AM
TheRealStig
Track Day

Had the rebuild not occurred, I would have had to renew before end of current warranty.
It is transferable to a new owner, but only on a private sale.
If I was to sell to a dealer, I can cash in the remainder of the warranty.

Quick Reply: Rebuild - What else should be done?