Sponsored by:

How to sell a 997?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 10:26 PM
Ghost Ryder
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default How to sell a 997?

I'm going to list my 997 for sale. How to you go about doing it and not get scammed or avoid the tire kickers or people that just want to take your car for a drive without any intention of buying it?

Do you ask them to show proofs of funds first?
Old 05-24-2018, 11:28 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could meet at a public place to get a sense of the buyers interest, knowledge, and means before offering a test ride or drive. You could also consign the car at one of those boutique car salons--they will have little trouble screening potential buyers and generally do not suffer fools gladly.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:48 PM
Oneday997
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 133 Posts

I’ve had good luck selling via the local PCA chapter (ads via Facebook and/or the site/publication). Knowlegable buyers and no bs. Sold a couple of normal cars on Craigslist and it was a huge pain. Would never sell a high end / special car on it. Bring A Trailer looks to be a pretty slick set up too if you’d be open to the auction route.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:55 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,312 Posts

You should seriously consider Bring a Trailer. That is a place that fetches good money for good cars. It used to be a place for deals for the buyer, but not so much anymore. Also, don't assume people are going to come out of the woodwork to look at your car or kick your tires. They are not. You'll be able to tell those with real interest vs. those without, assuming you have even a rudimentary radar on human behavior. No matter what, you will have those certain few ******** who call and offer to help you sell it for a fee. Be rude and hang up on them, and they do go away.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:00 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The smart buyer will always prefer that you drive the car first in a test drive. He can make a lot more observations and you can set the standard for how to treat the car. Make that point clear to them, no hot rodding, no abuse. I think you can ferret out how interested they are by the quality of their questions.

e.g " How many cylinders does this 911 have?"

Hang up and block their number.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:51 AM
mfonseca
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghost Ryder
I'm going to list my 997 for sale. How to you go about doing it and not get scammed or avoid the tire kickers or people that just want to take your car for a drive without any intention of buying it?

I am looking for a 997. What are the details on the one you are selling? Where are you located?
Old 05-25-2018, 09:59 AM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

You might review how you acquired this car, then go in reverse. In other words, what kind of research did you do and where did you go to look at cars for sale. If you want some more help here, put up some pictures of your car here with description of mileage, condition, maintenance etc. For me, Craigslist is out for trying to sell a Porsche. As far as test drives go, I wouldn't let anybody take the car out by themselves. For a test drive I'm behind the wheel first so I can let the prospect observe as I drive and describe features - and also ask some questions. Only if I get some correct answers am I going to switch seats and let prospect drive it. No solo rides.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:34 AM
Ghost Ryder
Instructor

Originally Posted by swingwing
You might review how you acquired this car, then go in reverse. In other words, what kind of research did you do and where did you go to look at cars for sale. If you want some more help here, put up some pictures of your car here with description of mileage, condition, maintenance etc. For me, Craigslist is out for trying to sell a Porsche. As far as test drives go, I wouldn't let anybody take the car out by themselves. For a test drive I'm behind the wheel first so I can let the prospect observe as I drive and describe features - and also ask some questions. Only if I get some correct answers am I going to switch seats and let prospect drive it. No solo rides.
Thanks,

I bought it from a "boutique" dealer that deals with higher end cars, the 997 was probably the lowest end car he had for sale. So it went pretty smoothly.

thanks for the input.

Its a 2010 C2. Guards red with about 52k miles. Service is uptodate including belts and plugs. Didn't do the PDK yet, but that's next on the list. Car otherwise in great condition.

The past few times that I sold cars, I had great luck with autotrader, but they weren't 911's I figure I'll list it on the typical online sites except for craigslist and see what happens.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:41 AM
Ghost Ryder
Instructor

How do you handle the actual transaction before signing over the title?

Do you go to their bank and have them issue a cashier check then cash it right away?

What if the have a loan from their bank? How does that work?
Old 05-25-2018, 11:41 AM
swingwing
Pro

GLWS. You might list it here on the forum.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:46 AM
Ghost Ryder
Instructor

Originally Posted by linderpat
You should seriously consider Bring a Trailer. That is a place that fetches good money for good cars. It used to be a place for deals for the buyer, but not so much anymore. Also, don't assume people are going to come out of the woodwork to look at your car or kick your tires. They are not. You'll be able to tell those with real interest vs. those without, assuming you have even a rudimentary radar on human behavior. No matter what, you will have those certain few ******** who call and offer to help you sell it for a fee. Be rude and hang up on them, and they do go away.
How does Bring a Trailer work?
How do test drives and PPI work with BaT?

How are the transaction handled? Does the Buyer pay BaT then BaT then pays the seller?
Old 05-25-2018, 11:50 AM
swingwing
Pro

How do you handle the actual transaction before signing over the title?
Do you go to their bank and have them issue a cashier check then cash it right away?
What if the have a loan from their bank? How does that work?
First of all, is your title clear? If so then my preference would be take a deposit (say $500-1000) to hold the car, then buyer does a Bank Wire into my account for the balance. Banks don't screw around - when I see the wire deposit the funds are mine and I'll sign over the title. Second option is to go to buyer's bank and have them issue you a Cashier's Check on the spot. It doesn't matter if buyer is getting a loan; if bank issues you the check that's all you need. Review your state's procedures for notifying them of the sale; you want to make sure buyer titles and registers the car in his name.

If there's a lien on your title you must pay that off first in order to get the title from the bank, then sign it over to your buyer. If that's the case then there's no way your buyer gets physical possession until that's done. If you have a deal, your car goes in the garage and not driven until you've got a clear title to sign over.

Last edited by swingwing; 05-25-2018 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Added sentences.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:56 AM
swingwing
Pro

How are the transaction handled? Does the Buyer pay BaT then BaT then pays the seller?
There's an explanation of the process on BaT's website. Seller pays a set fee for the listing; buyer pays BaT a percentage of sale price. As far as I know BaT is not involved in the actual sale (again, read the instructions). If you look at some ads on BaT along with the text conversations between seller and prospects you'll get a feel for what effective ads look like there. Good ads I've seen have lots of pictures, maintenance history, Carfax. The more work you put into it the better your chances of a fair price sale.

Test drives and PPIs would be arranged between seller and prospects. It could be that an out-of-state prospect might have a friend in your area who'd come look at your car.

Last edited by swingwing; 05-25-2018 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Added sentences.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:25 PM
swingwing
Pro

In my opinion "proof of funds" is putting the cart before the horse. What I would do is ask prospect to bring proof of auto insurance with him. Take a picture of that plus his driver's license. If prospect doesn't have current auto insurance then he might get a test drive, but not solo. I'm driving the car first with him as passenger, observing and asking questions. Only if I'm comfortable that he's not a joyrider then we'll switch seats. No solo rides regardless, ever.

Autotrader has good advice about how to handle a Private Party sale. Take a look at those, plus search internet and YouTube.

Last edited by swingwing; 05-25-2018 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Added sentences.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:54 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

I’ve listed 3 cars on Bring a Trailer. 2 of them sold and the other one didn’t meet reserve. Here’s how the process works:

- Fill out form with all the details of the car and submit your pictures.

- BaT will review and they will negotiate the reserve price with you if they like the car.

- If reserve price is agreed, you pay the listing fee ($99) and BaT will create a draft of the ad for you.

- Once the draft is done, they will send it to you for approval.

- Once you approve it, the car will go live on the site a couple of days later, and will be there for a week.

- It is CRUCIAL for the seller to stay involved (and be as nice as possible) in the comments during the week of the auction. There are a ton of very knowledgeable people posting questions and comments all the time.

- As the end of the auction approaches, you can lower the reserve price if you want.

- When there are 2 minutes left and somebody bids, the clock will reset back to 2 minutes to avoid last second sniping.

- If the car sells, the buyer will pay the auction fee directly to BaT (5%), and they will send you all the contact details.

- You have to create a bill of sale and send it to the buyer to get it signed.

- The buyer wires or deposits the money directly to your account and arranges shipping.

- Coordinate with the buyer and shipper for the pickup.

- Spend your money on another car.

Here are my 3 BaT listings:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-nissan-patrol/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...es-benz-190sl/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1981-suzuki-lj80/

Quick Reply: How to sell a 997?