Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS and respray question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 02:01 AM
J_D
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I never understood the buying of a car with respect to resale down the road. You can get creamed in an intersection or hit by a distracted soccer mom any day of the week.

Its a car.....not an investment! Drive the car that floats your boat. You can't predict the future. I would go with the respray, and if it doesn't look good, have them fix it until it does.

Body shops these days have done an amazing job matching stuff that in the 80's and 90's was a nightmare to even try. Technology in auto body paint, has come a long way.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:34 PM
Cmcdaniel993
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe take a before an after picture for evidence down the road if you end up selling it?

I bought a CPO car that had no accident history, but had the back quarter resprayed as noted by the dealer. No evidence of any damage. I would have liked to have known for sure what happened.

In the end the dealer had no problem certifying it, it looks great, and the car drives like a dream.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:02 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Cmcdaniel993
Maybe take a before an after picture for evidence down the road if you end up selling it?
definitely this. had my rear bumper cover resprayed after a tussle with a shopping cart. took quite a few before photos and added it to the history binder. If I were a prospective buyer, id have no problem with a resprayed hood that was done right and for the right reasons. this seems like the right reason.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:05 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,967 Likes on 2,045 Posts

Originally Posted by Cmcdaniel993

I bought a CPO car that had no accident history, but had the back quarter resprayed as noted by the dealer. No evidence of any damage. I would have liked to have known for sure what happened.

In the end the dealer had no problem certifying it, it looks great, and the car drives like a dream.
Did you find out by paint meter? If they just brought that up, when purchasing the car without asking, that is one super honest dealer and one that must have been great to do business with. If you want to confirm no evidence of damage, you can take the rear speaker cover off, unscrew the speaker and from there you can see the back of the rear quarter panel. I did this when buying my car. Rear quarter was resprayed, dealer actually didnt even notice it since it only metered slightly higher, but being able to see no damage to the back of the panel was good for me.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:40 PM
Cmcdaniel993
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Did you find out by paint meter? If they just brought that up, when purchasing the car without asking, that is one super honest dealer and one that must have been great to do business with. If you want to confirm no evidence of damage, you can take the rear speaker cover off, unscrew the speaker and from there you can see the back of the rear quarter panel. I did this when buying my car. Rear quarter was resprayed, dealer actually didn't even notice it since it only metered slightly higher, but being able to see no damage to the back of the panel was good for me.
Thanks... Park Place in Dallas told me about the repaint during the certification process. They noticed overspray when it was up on the lift. They convinced me after a better inspection that there was no damage underneath. After I purchased the car, but before it was shipped to MN, I was lucky enough to meet the previous owner, snake eyes, on Rennlist. He provided me with better info on the history and said it was repainted by Champion Motorsports under CPO due to some scratches before he took ownership, but it didn't affect the value.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:09 AM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
definitely this. had my rear bumper cover resprayed after a tussle with a shopping cart. took quite a few before photos and added it to the history binder. If I were a prospective buyer, id have no problem with a resprayed hood that was done right and for the right reasons. this seems like the right reason.
Great. I did get a video, so that certainly helps. They certified, in writing, that it had no accident history or evidence of respray, and showed me the inspection report, which showed nothing. I may get an independent PPI, but they also said they would be happy to let a tech come over and spend whatever time they needed to on the car.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:32 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

A respray on bumper cover that is documented as only cosmetic with a clean Carfax does not negatively impact value on older Porsches. Sure, some of us on here may bellyache (**** and too much time on our hands), but those on here don't necessarily reflect the market in general. Provided its done well, it certainly looks much better than a chipped up bumper cover.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:14 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 861 Posts

2009 C2S 125K miles

I bang my cars up... it happens if you drive them. I would take a free respray in a nanosecond.

I totally don;t get this resale issue.... why are you buying this car? An accessory to something you want to project about yourself and then sell it off to buy the next shiny gold neck chain? Or, are you buying a sports car because you love sports cars? If you love to drive, get it resprayed and then when it gets chipped and banged up, you respray it again. Done.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 05-23-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:52 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm with Bruce. I'd take the respray. But really? How many stone chips? I like a few stone chips, that way I don't notice the few more that I put inflict.
A paint pen, takes care of most of mine. Good from ten feet is my rule. Just like me.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:17 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 125K miles

I bang my cars up... it happens if you drive them. I would take a free respray in a nanosecond.

I totally don;t get this resale issue.... why are you buying this car? An accessory to something you want to project about yourself and then sell it off to buy the next shiny gold neck chain? Or, are you buying a sports car because you love sports cars? If you love to drive, get it resprayed and then when it gets chipped and banged up, you respray it again. Done.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Hi Bruce,

It doesn't bother me at all, but if it were a resale hit down the line (such as with a carfax blem) then I would ask (and probably not get) a discount. Really, a CPO'd manual GTS with this mileage at $70k is pretty reasonable, when people are asking low 80's for garage queens. Thanks again!
Old 05-23-2018, 03:10 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

What's wrong with respraying a bumper or hood if done well by a shop who does high-end cars and uses teh right paint? Most cars shown on Concours are painted regularly, even if thy say it is original paint.

It seems to be a local thing (paint) as well as the obsession with low mileage cars. Not so in Europe, where these cars are made.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:03 PM
blakecam
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Most car dealers do touch-up paint work on used cars to make them look better. I would let them respray the damaged area, but make the purchase subject to your final approval of the finished product. I wouldn't overthink this too much as long as it's a quality job. Like you said, it's tough to find a manual GTS, especially in your preferred color. Front-end resprays are common on 911s and likely won't significantly affect future prices.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:22 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Get it resprayed and enjoy it - dont listen to the **** elements here. The next buyer, if there is one, will prob think it looks great unless you get a Rennlist member in which case move to the next buyer 99% of purchasers will appreciate the respray
Old 05-24-2018, 08:35 AM
galaxy collision
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

when i bought my car, it was silver. right options, right price and right time. i hate silver, so i painted the whole car. ill probable change the color again when i get bored with it. i dont care about resale. i bought it cause it was my dream car growing up. resprays done correctly, in my opinion, are way better that a beat up rocked chipped car. just my opinion lol
Old 05-24-2018, 12:51 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I've owned my car 9 years. Had one door resprayed 8 years ago because a gardener at my office scraped it with a hedge trimmer. Had the rear bumper resprayed 3 years ago when someone backed into it. Had the front bumper, roof, and both rear quarters resprayed earlier this year because the clear coat was shot from 9 years of sun and heat. Still need to have the mirrors and rear bumperettes resprayed. I prefer not to drive it looking like crap, so I'm not worrying about the resale value.

I bought my Corvette even though there was an accident on the Autocheck report. It didn't say the airbags deployed. The accident was 6 years before I bought it, the car had one owner, and the repair was undedectable. I figured if the original owner kept it another 6 years, and the paintwork matched and wasn't failing, I needn't worry about anything. And I bought it from Carmax so there was no dickering over the price.

Quick Reply: GTS and respray question