Sponsored by:

Heel and Toe - OEM Pedals

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 03:26 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Heel and Toe - OEM Pedals

So is it me or is it really hard with stock pedals to perform heel and toe. Starting to hit entry harder and noticing downshifts are unsettling the chassis a tad. I can see where I need to learn how to heel and toe soon.

Anyone doing this successfuly on the stock pedals or do I need something like the rennline pedal set.

For me the brake is way too high. If I am hard breaking I can sometime blip 500rpm but that's not enough and doesn't work at all with lower braking force.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:41 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have any problem heel and toe-ing in mine, I believe that is because I'm short and my feet are really vertical. This allows me to be at the very top of the gas pedal when blipping.

That said, it doesn't matter one bit that I don't have a problem and you do. In racing, that's the first thing you have to do as a good driver. Make yourself comfortable. Look around in their cars and you will find the pedal configs of some of the fastest drivers are ridiculous.

Buy new pedals, bend yours, whatever, put them how you like them. Don't worry about resale to a new owner because you can inform them that they should do the same.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:52 PM
cgegs
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I rotate my heel far enough towards the gas pedal before rolling my foot, then it is not an issue. I have been considering the Rennline throttle pedal with the side extensions so I don't need to rotate, but I have read that sometimes people accidentally hit the extensions under heavy braking.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:58 PM
jeffleept
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Brake pedal bites more and earlier with sports cars, and the brake has to be further down to get a good purchase of the accelerator. In other words, you have to brake harder in order to have good throttle control. So naturally, you have to be driving harder in order to heel and toe more comfortably.

In contrast, I had a Fiat 500 abarth, where the brake and throttle sat at the same levels at rest. I could heel toe comfortably in traffic, but in the canyons the brake pedal was way too far in.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:06 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

BTW, I'll just leave this pic of my ride here. Seems appropriate...

Old 05-17-2018, 04:29 PM
gtvr6
Advanced

Default Coming from a BMW.....

......I felt that it was harder initially to heel and toe. I've gotten use to it but still find it easier in my BMW.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:14 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

brake pedal in our cars is oriented such that heel/toe is perfect at threshold braking like on track... not when you're at 50% like on the street.
to counter, get a throttle spacer or adjustable pedal set like from rennline.
this has been discussed ad nauseum in a couple other threads here too if you're looking for more info.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:47 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,420 Likes on 862 Posts

2009 C2S 125K miles

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...gas-pedal.html

The stock config is not good.... see my thread above where I installed a Rennline pedal and no I heel toe with mad abandon.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-17-2018, 06:15 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

^^^ That's one of the better ones here.
Plus, if it pissess off Bruce, it'll likely pisses off everyone. He has a high tolerance.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:18 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Oddly enough, there was a pedal extension on my throttle when I bought the car. I didn't like it. Went back to normal so I could heel toe like normal (I roll my foot side to side, not "true" heel-toeing).

I admit, you have to be pretty deliberate with your blipping to get the rev's up, but isn't that the point of H-Ting? If you're not driving hard enough to need to brake that hard... chances are a simple regular blip of the throttle to rev match should suffice. I learned to H-T & double-clutch back in my Comanche days; gutless 2.5 and a 4spd with tired syncros.

Or maybe I just drive like a total a$$hole on the street.

(I do.)

Cheers
Old 05-17-2018, 07:25 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

No issues here. Sounds like you just need to hit the pedal harder.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:52 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

Good stuff.. thanks for the info.

So is everyone just running the pedals and maybe the lifter kit and extensions?

What's the point of the full assembly they sell. Mentions weak stock setup.. anyone had issues with stock pedal assembly breaking?
Old 05-18-2018, 07:52 AM
MFGJR
Instructor

Brake pedal height is adjustable--see post #8 here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...justments.html
Old 05-18-2018, 09:13 AM
FZP
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I heel/toe on every gear change to limit the wear on the clutch. You may think....bah, but on the other car we are currently on 125k miles on the original clutch and no signs of throwing the towel in.
I don't have any issues with the factory set up of the pedals. In fact I was on a blast with some fellas and they were convinced by my exhaust note that I had a PDK gearbox.
I'd say save your money and work on your technique OP
Old 05-18-2018, 10:39 AM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FZP
I heel/toe on every gear change to limit the wear on the clutch. You may think....bah, but on the other car we are currently on 125k miles on the original clutch and no signs of throwing the towel in.
I don't have any issues with the factory set up of the pedals. In fact I was on a blast with some fellas and they were convinced by my exhaust note that I had a PDK gearbox.
I'd say save your money and work on your technique OP
Me too.

Only time a clutch wears is when its going in, coming out and slipping. If you aint slippin it, it'll go forever. I've driven manual cars (and race cars) for 35 years and have never replaced a clutch due to wear. Knock on wood...

Quick Reply: Heel and Toe - OEM Pedals