Living with a P-car in Chicago?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 10:46 AM
Addictedmotorsc2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Living with a P-car in Chicago?

Good Morning gents,

In the coming months I may find myself needing to move to Chicago for work and was looking for some feedback from others in the area. Since this would not be my first choice for location maybe someone could convince me otherwise!

How is owning a Porsche in the windy city?

Is there any special car related expenses not found in other areas?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:51 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In a thread a few weeks ago I asked about salt and road conditions in Chicago and someone else chimed in that the Chicago roads have ruined his car(s) in short order. Bad streets, pot holes, salt and of course as everyone know - very bad valets.

Old 05-05-2018, 12:03 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 58 Posts

Potholes, ****ty weather, traffic, dumbass drivers and no drivers roads.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:40 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

If you are going to live in the far western or far northern suburbs you will be able to escape to Wisconsin or Iowa for weekends, and you will find some nice country roads. But, half the population of Illinois heads for Wisconsin on the weekends, so stay off the freeways and interstates. As has been mentioned, salt and horrible road surfaces are your biggest enemies... road repair is a close third. I would not drive a Porsche or any other car I wanted to keep in any metropolitan area around Chicago or Milwaukee in the winter. In the warm months, chose your streets carefully! I have spent a fortune for struts, shocks, ball joints, suspension components, wheels and tires, all due to road damage. 80% of the vehicles you see on the road around here are SUVs or pickup trucks for a very good reason.

I bought my 09 C2S in California and had it shipped. I don't drive it to work due to bad streets and I won't drive it in winter. I bought it in early March and had to wait until two weeks ago to drive it! On the plus side, it will probably last until I die with the mileage I'll be putting on it.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:13 PM
Addictedmotorsc2
Advanced

Originally Posted by cosm3os
Potholes, ****ty weather, traffic, dumbass drivers and no drivers roads.
^This I know haha. Most northern US cities suffer from conditions like this but is it especially bad in Chicago (philly is gawd awful)?

Any upsides? Bueller?
Old 05-05-2018, 02:29 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 176 Posts

For a lot the RL'rs, it's strictly a second car and almost always garaged
November and earlier for hibernation, mid April and later for wake-up
Plenty of good shops in decent locations for service
Not much in the way of great roads, but the tollways can be a source of fun
Old 05-05-2018, 02:47 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Move to the Kenosha area, MUCH cheaper than anything near Chicago. If you will be working downtown, take the train. If you will be working in the northern suburbs, it's not a bad commute from Kenosha and the roads are half-way decent.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:15 PM
Addictedmotorsc2
Advanced

^Ill check it out. Luckily I have the LC and would not think of driving it DT. As you may be able to ascertain, theres a chance I have my priorities backwards lol...
Old 05-05-2018, 05:06 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 158 Posts

Okay, first how will you use the car? Will you daily it? Can you own a 997 and a winter beater? Can you do your own maintenance? Do you track?
Do you have options on where you can and/or want to live? i.e. downtown vs burbs?

Need more info before anyone can give you any good advice.

I've literally done it all so can tell pretty well if you could entertain it or just not even bother.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:12 PM
Addictedmotorsc2
Advanced

Okay, first how will you use the car? - 2nd car.

Will you daily it? - Nope.

Can you own a 997 and a winter beater? - That is the plan also have the land cruiser and would possibly look into a third (beater) if parking allows (looking for a garage?)

Can you do your own maintenance? -Yes for the most part.

Do you track? - Yes, if possible.

Do you have options on where you can and/or want to live? i.e. downtown vs burbs? (I would be potentially be working somewhere on WW but would prefer to buy (small home/apt two car garage)

Need more info before anyone can give you any good advice.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:23 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

Get a C4S and a second set of winter rims and tires. Off you go. The AWD system in the .2 is seamless. I’ve had mine in snow squalls and sleet at 34 degrees on summer tires and had no issues. Note not on purpose, I had to get back home and the spring weather in the NE has been very unpredictable.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:53 PM
ronvanr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I live in Maryland, but my 997 came from the Chicago area. I'm not sure how much it was driven in the winter? The bolts/nuts connecting the exhaust system are rusty, but the rest are OK? If you can switch out the exhaust system nuts and bolts with something more rust resistance, you will thank yourself in the long run if you like to do DIY projects. Other then rust on the exhaust system nuts/bolts the cars been great, easy to work on and very reliable - knock on wood.

Porsche why did you use such cheap bolts here?
Old 05-05-2018, 08:04 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 158 Posts

Based on your response to my post you’ll have a blast in the 997 here. Plenty of great weather, car shows, jaunts to WI and tracks around here to enjoy a 997 as a second or third car. Just find someway to entertain yourself in the five months of winter and you’ll be good.

cosm3os points are all fact and would make dailying a 997 a tough sell.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:01 PM
Addictedmotorsc2
Advanced

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Based on your response to my post you’ll have a blast in the 997 here. Plenty of great weather, car shows, jaunts to WI and tracks around here to enjoy a 997 as a second or third car. Just find someway to entertain yourself in the five months of winter and you’ll be good.

cosm3os points are all fact and would make dailying a 997 a tough sell.
Thanks, thats more like it! I am trying to get more of a feel of the car culture up there (hopefully not as bleak as everyone seems to think). Whats the nearest track?
Old 05-05-2018, 09:06 PM
Addictedmotorsc2
Advanced

Originally Posted by DC911S
Get a C4S and a second set of winter rims and tires. Off you go. The AWD system in the .2 is seamless. I’ve had mine in snow squalls and sleet at 34 degrees on summer tires and had no issues. Note not on purpose, I had to get back home and the spring weather in the NE has been very unpredictable.
No need for AWD Porsche since I have the cruiser. I've driven a 997.2 C4S and found the handling and pedal feel slightly less responsive than my ol' base 997.1, different strokes I guess.

Quick Reply: Living with a P-car in Chicago?