Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Champion RF67 vs BBS CH-R

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018 | 12:49 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I had a set of BBS CH-R wheels on my 997 turbo. To me, the benefits of the BBS wheels are the appearance, as well as the quality. The downsides of the BBS wheels are the fact that they are cast vs. forged, and the weight compared to forged wheels. I’d have no issue buying another set of BBS wheels, but I’d really consider a set of forged Champions too. I think either choice is good. Get the one that you think looks the best.
Old 04-20-2018 | 01:20 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mickfluff
Champions look cheap and dated? Give me a break..... better, lighter, stronger = forged champions.
Originally Posted by brabuse430
well both of your posts didn't change my mind unfortunately... they still look cheap to me. but i know, to each his own. i just think those wheels look like knockoff wanna be volk CE28n.

and before you say i don't know what I'm talking about, i do!
That's just our option. They do look like CE28's and it's the devil in the details. Your front looks very narrow, no lip and your center cap is not even flushed with the rest of the wheel.
Old 04-20-2018 | 04:45 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

So my reply if I may. BBS a nice classic wheel no doubt that said on your car they
look like an afterthought or an addition to the car. I prefer to mod in a way that makes
the car unique and different but still very factory/Oem like. Those red center caps scream
”aftermarket” and just not a look I prefer. Also the chrome goes with nearly nothing on the
car except maybe your exhaust tips that can’t be seen but from the rear.
I like a car to flow and look unique and different but almost as if if could have come from
the factory that way.... The bbs wheels in this pic albeit nice doesn’t allow for that.
Add to that the champions are lighter weight, stronger, come with the perfect offset for
the 997 cars (no need for spacers) etc and no comparison.

Originally Posted by brabuse430
well both of your posts didn't change my mind unfortunately... they still look cheap to me. but i know, to each his own. i just think those wheels look like knockoff wanna be volk CE28n.

and before you say i don't know what I'm talking about, i do!

The following users liked this post:
oalvarez (06-16-2023)
Old 04-20-2018 | 04:54 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Ahahahaha if u want a deep dish wheel may suggest build a chevelle. It’s a completely different design then wheels with a deep lip and the sunken centers give the wheel a concave like design, A design aspect....
porsche not offering many wheels with a lip these days. For example one of the most iconic aftermarket wheel for Porsche are RUF and those have zero lip. Lips are dated and old school.... not suggesting that in a bad way but to even infer a wheel with lip is a newer design compared to the design of champions I think maybe a reach. Bbs is a classic dated old school
look. Amazing wheels and a great look but certainly an older looking design then the champions that’s for sure.

Again like bbs no doubt a great wheel. But heavier, not a strong and imo look to aftermarket. That said some of the champion wheels can look the same just IMO not these in question especially when matches with a Porsche center cap... look near factory.

Originally Posted by DesmoSD

That's just our option. They do look like CE28's and it's the devil in the details. Your front looks very narrow, no lip and your center cap is not even flushed with the rest of the wheel.
Old 04-20-2018 | 05:58 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Interesting to hear everyone’s opinions on wheels. Clearly a very subjective topic, like car colours or beer or donuts or whatever. To add my comments to the soup - I want my wheels to look aftermarket because they are. I prefer the BBS centre cap on my CHRs even though OE caps fit.

Re: lips - before I owned a set of wheels with a lip, I really wanted a set of wheels with a lip. Certainly when I got into cars in the mid to late 90s wheels with big lips were de rigeur. However I’ve now owned a set of forged, three piece OZ Superleggera IIIs on my Benz for a few years now and keeping the polished lip clean is a pain in the ***. Thus grey wheels blend in nicely with brake dust lol.

Also, for whatever reason, the forged OZs are actually quite heavy considering they are forged. Ditto for BBS LMs I understand, at least that was the case in my S2000 days. It’s a pity the Enkei RPF1 isn’t made in 5x130, that wheel was perfect in my eyes, ~pound per inch of diameter, good big brake caliper clearance, and relatively cheap, but still strong. Cast, not forged, but that helped keep the costs down, so if you buggered one up, it was maybe $3-500 to replace, not like $1,000+ per corner. Ironically (considering my comments on BBS vs OE centre caps above) I modified a set of Accord OE Honda ‘H’ centre caps to fit them.

Quick Reply: Champion RF67 vs BBS CH-R