Sponsored by:

Video of Clutch Pop - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 12:51 AM
porscheconvert
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Video of Clutch Pop - Please Help

From my research, looks like this could be Clutch Master Cylinder, Slave, or even Throwout Bearing. Attaching video.

Symptoms:
-2/3 down, distinctive click or pop sound.
-no affect on gears or clutch performance
-intermittent...as it happened for 2 days few months back and went away....now it's back
-same click no matter gear, engine off, and weather independent

I welcome opinions! I don't track and car has 30k miles.

Last edited by porscheconvert; 04-15-2018 at 01:10 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:01 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 166 Posts

Hmm. Not sure. Do you have any clutch slip or vibration in the pedal?

First guess is something it going on with your slave cylinder and release arm. Second guess is pressure plate. Third is the throwout bearing, but you have too low miles for that to be significantly worn.

The rubber sleeve on the slave cylinder piston tends to get brittle over time and break. This causes the metal piston to push directly on the metal release arm, which can put gouges in the release arm. If the piston is riding on these gouges that could theoretically be causing a noise.

I had to replace my clutch at 50k because a finger on the pressure plate cracked after hitting a pothole. I would hear a noise when I pressed the clutch in but it was more of a creaking noise vs pop. It was also associated with a slight vibration on the pedal so I knew something was wrong.

You can pull the slave out to check if the rubber sleeve has cracked but unfortunately you need to pull the transmission to replace the arm. So...I think you are likely going to need to do a clutch job to really figure out whats going on.

Hopefully some other guys on here will have better ideas for you.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:24 PM
porscheconvert
Racer

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Hmm. Not sure. Do you have any clutch slip or vibration in the pedal?

First guess is something it going on with your slave cylinder and release arm. Second guess is pressure plate. Third is the throwout bearing, but you have too low miles for that to be significantly worn.

The rubber sleeve on the slave cylinder piston tends to get brittle over time and break. This causes the metal piston to push directly on the metal release arm, which can put gouges in the release arm. If the piston is riding on these gouges that could theoretically be causing a noise.

I had to replace my clutch at 50k because a finger on the pressure plate cracked after hitting a pothole. I would hear a noise when I pressed the clutch in but it was more of a creaking noise vs pop. It was also associated with a slight vibration on the pedal so I knew something was wrong.

You can pull the slave out to check if the rubber sleeve has cracked but unfortunately you need to pull the transmission to replace the arm. So...I think you are likely going to need to do a clutch job to really figure out whats going on.

Hopefully some other guys on here will have better ideas for you.
Thanks! No slip or vibration in pedal.

Any reason why you wouldn't think clutch master cylinder? Hard to say, but noise seems to come from frunk area...
Old 04-15-2018, 05:43 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 166 Posts

Maybe. Just don’t have enough knowledge of it
to speak intelligently. Others on here likely do.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:03 PM
jz1976
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before you do anything else, have your shop lube the heck out of the springs up in the pedal box. I had the same sort of click/pop coming from the pedal box and felt it in the pedal. My indy lubed up the helper spring and it went away.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:50 PM
billybill
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey porscheconvert. did you ever find out the cause? my 997 is doing the exact same thing.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:26 PM
porscheconvert
Racer

Nope. Now that it’s turned hot, it hasn’t done it. It was worse when we were at tail end of winter and weather couldn’t determine whether it was hot or cold.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:21 AM
westgate997
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sure it's not your knee?
Old 07-13-2018, 02:13 PM
porscheconvert
Racer

Haha! While 43 yrs old, I’m still in shape bro. Side note, I have thought about adding an 80s 911 to my stable. How long you had yours? Do you wrench yourself?
Old 07-22-2018, 01:34 PM
westgate997
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porscheconvert
Haha! While 43 yrs old, I’m still in shape bro. Side note, I have thought about adding an 80s 911 to my stable. How long you had yours? Do you wrench yourself?
Pops bought her new in '87. Completely stock down to the original stickers. Haven't wrenched on her myself although I could. One clutch replacement and also had to replace the engine compartment soundproofing while the motor was out. Love her!
Old 11-19-2022, 05:37 AM
997.one
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 35 Posts

Bringing up an older thread since this video perfectly illiterates a recent problem I encountered. I also had a problem with the clutch pedal sticking and not fully disengaging. Luckily, it hasn’t come back but it’s now on my radar.

1) I am curious if there has a commonly known fix? Clutch slave cylinder?

2) Is there a common upgrade? Is there a difference in clutch slave cylinders between models? (Besides turbos)

Old 11-19-2022, 08:09 AM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 684 Likes on 325 Posts

I bet it’s the slave pivot plastic piece has broken off and worn a hole in the fork and it’s popping on that.

Quick Reply: Video of Clutch Pop - Please Help