"Budget" 19" All-Season Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 01:41 PM
orange260z
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default "Budget" 19" All-Season Tires

Hey all...

I live in Ottawa, Canada where we can have a very long shoulder season, particularly in the spring. Additionally, spring roads are a little dicey until early June by when the potholes have all been filled.

I own two sets of wheels for my 997.2 C2S, both 19" - a freshly refinished set of Carrera Sports, and my original Carrera S II. I have a much newer set of Michelin PS2s on the CSports ("summer set"); and an old set on the CSII, which I have been using for winter storage and driving in the spring until end of May ("storage set").

I need to replace the storage set right away, largely due to age - they are 2011 dated and are like hockey pucks from the unheated winter storage (my newer sets are stored in the basement, away from the furnace). I'm thinking that given the use (4-6 weeks of spring driving, 4-6 weeks of fall driving, and unheated winter storage) a set of all-season tires would be appropriate. The car won't be driven in snow, but may be used in morning temperatures as low as -10C.

Unfortunately, I will also have to replace my summer set either late this season or early next season, and will be purchasing the Michelin 4S or the Continental SuperEXXXtreme SportContact Extreme Sport or whatever they call it this year. That is my priority set, and I will spend the necessary money to get the best tires available.

For the storage set, the only AS tires I've found in a 235/35R19 & 295/30R19 pair is the Bridgestone RE970AS, which are a premium tire with a premium price. I was wondering if there are cheaper alternatives that I can use in a slightly smaller size but on my existing 19x8.5/11' wheels, like in a 285/30R19 or 275/30R19? Should I also be dropping a size (to 225/35R19) for the matching fronts to maintain "balance"?

I'm not looking for advice on winter tires vs all-season tires. I'm also not looking for people to tell me that summer tires are fine for my application. What I am looking for is some guidance on all-season tire models and sizes I can safely use with my existing wheels. Maybe the only answer is BS RE970AS in the original size, and that's ok... but I figured I'd ask around before I spent money I'd rather keep for my summer set... thanks in advance!
Old 04-14-2018, 03:02 PM
NC3Pedal
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I've heard good things about the Continental DWS (Dry/Wet/Snow) but I don't think they come in a Porsche fitment.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:30 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

https://www.onlinetires.com/user/vehicle/tires/allbrands.html

This is the site you want for really hard to find tires. You'll notice they have at least 3 or 4 all season tires in our fitment. These are total budget tires so just like you're looking for there not necessarily gonna compete with a michelin or Bridgestone

mike
Old 04-14-2018, 03:58 PM
orange260z
Instructor

Originally Posted by NC3Pedal
I've heard good things about the Continental DWS (Dry/Wet/Snow) but I don't think they come in a Porsche fitment.
Yeah, that's what I found out too.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:09 PM
orange260z
Instructor

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
https://www.onlinetires.com/user/vehicle/tires/allbrands.html

This is the site you want for really hard to find tires. You'll notice they have at least 3 or 4 all season tires in our fitment. These are total budget tires so just like you're looking for there not necessarily gonna compete with a michelin or Bridgestone

mike
Thanks Mike. They seem to only have "Winrun", "Saffiro" and then a huge leap up to the Bridgestones.

I don't have confidence buying a Chinese-brand tire - there is little information on any of them, and the few that have been properly tested have fared very poorly. What I'm hoping for is maybe something in a second-tier brand, like a Sumitomo, Cooper, Nexen, Fuzion etc that may not be cutting-edge but still has some engineering and quality control behind it. I'm not too fussed if it's manufactured in China by a major brand.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:19 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 105 Posts

I currently have a set of Toyo Proxes 4 Plus on my 997.. cheaper than the Bridgestone..
I wish I saw this site with the Bridgestone RE970AS! That is exactly what I wanted
Old 04-15-2018, 01:33 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

When we still had our Cayenne, I ran Conti DWS as my “summer” tire, and Michelin Latitide Alpins as my winter tire.

As you would expect, all-season tires are a compromise compared to dedicated summer or winter tires. That said, they were pretty good during the transitional seasons of spring and autumn. They were marginal in hot conditions, and terrible in snow (even when the “S” was visible).
Old 04-15-2018, 11:23 AM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Just an idea for the op but have you thought about checking the classifieds for a used set of cayman or boxster wheels that are 10" in the rear?

This would open up a lot of possibilities to you. Josh It also could make a lot of sense financially. Let's say you find a full set of used wheels and tires for a $1000 used and then you use them for however long you want to keep them and then sell them for the same $1000.

mike
Old 04-15-2018, 05:57 PM
orange260z
Instructor

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
Just an idea for the op but have you thought about checking the classifieds for a used set of cayman or boxster wheels that are 10" in the rear?

This would open up a lot of possibilities to you. Josh It also could make a lot of sense financially. Let's say you find a full set of used wheels and tires for a $1000 used and then you use them for however long you want to keep them and then sell them for the same $1000.

mike
Thanks Mike, that's an idea. Is there any issue running the much narrower Boxster wheel & tire on the 911? Or is this a standard setup that most 911 guys run in the winter?

If it makes sense, I would like to use my Carrera S IIs given (a) I already own them and (b) I'd need to find space to store ANOTHER set of wheels (I'm running out of garage wall space for racks).
Old 04-07-2021, 03:19 AM
etom
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Just bumping this up from WAY, WAY back! How much has changed since then???!

Up in the Pacific NW, an all-season is very convenient if you just want to run one set all year--and I do. If it snows, we'll use the other car, and often the snow only lasts a couple of days. And of course it does rain now and then!
Now, I think it used to be the case that all season tires for the 997.2 S cars were a bit rare (305 on the rear).

Are the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season (305/35 R20 107Y ULTRA HIGH PERFORMANCE) a known quantity by anyone? Will they work? Or would you have to go to 325s? (325/30ZR19 (101Y) ZP BSW)
I seem to be getting some conflicting info from various sites.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:39 AM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by etom

Up in the Pacific NW, an all-season is very convenient if you just want to run one set all year--and I do. If it snows, we'll use the other car, and often the snow only lasts a couple of days. And of course it does rain now and then!
Now, I think it used to be the case that all season tires for the 997.2 S cars were a bit rare (305 on the rear).

Are the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season (305/35 R20 107Y ULTRA HIGH PERFORMANCE) a known quantity by anyone? Will they work? Or would you have to go to 325s? (325/30ZR19 (101Y) ZP BSW)
If you're not driving in the snow, just get the PS4S.
Old 04-07-2021, 01:29 PM
997ajk
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 153 Posts

Check out Quattrotire.com , great price on many of the tires.

My choice for budget would be 295 tire, that asymmetrical in design over directional which i found to be great in rain but tend to be noisy and cup easily.

Toyo could be a good choice. Michelin is great but 2x the money for very little. (all pricing in CAD - they do have a coupon for 7% off)

Old 04-07-2021, 01:31 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by etom

What do you mean "it does rain now and then!" - it rains here all the time.. there's usually a sunny week in August sometime that we call Summer
On my 997 (older post in this thread), I had the Toyo Proxes 4 Plus - those were decent tires. I then downsized to 18" (fake fuchs from TireRack in Cayman fitment).
I currently run Bridgestone RE980AS on them and am quite happy - car is a DD.
General advice is to downsize diameter and width for winter/rain setups - mine are 235/40 and 265/40 for the 18" set.
Old 04-07-2021, 03:46 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

S04 or proxies or contis. I dont buy mich$$$ or any other hi priced tires
Old 04-07-2021, 03:49 PM
michaelmoo22
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm running the Toyo Proxes 4 Plus on my 997.2 Cab. I've had them on since last Sept. So far they are good tires. No real complaints and its my daily driver (no track days, but some spirited mountain driving sometimes). Are they Michelin good? No, not at all. But for the money I think they are a great tire.

Quick Reply: "Budget" 19" All-Season Tires