Carrera S Brakes Lacking

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 01:58 PM
geeky
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Carrera S Brakes Lacking

Hi All,

Just picked up a new to my 997 Carrera S last week and I find the brakes to be very lacking.

Planning on upgrading the lines and the pads, but curious what everyone is running for their combination of pads and brake upgrades.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:05 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

What is lacking about them?
Old 04-12-2018, 02:06 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

There should be no reason you need new lines.

Can you describe what you are not liking about the brakes?

this is important to knowwhat issues you are having otherwise any recommendations would be pure speculation.

for example, if you are having problems with fade that would very different than if you were having poor bite which would be very different than if you were having soft pedal

mike
Old 04-12-2018, 02:08 PM
evo9
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The main complaint I've noticed folks make about brakes is excessive brake dust, not that braking performance is lacking in any way. Suggest you have brake fluid flushed and then re-evaluate, before swapping brake parts.

Good luck,

pEaceOut!
Old 04-12-2018, 02:21 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

I would repair what is wrong, not upgrade. The only thing people do not complain about is braking
Old 04-12-2018, 02:26 PM
geeky
Instructor

Pedal modulation/feel and brake balance is off and not what I would prefer to have setup on this vehicle. The initial bite of the current pads installed (not sure of what is installed by previous owner) is very lacking to say the least.

I've been daily driving a track prepped vehicle with a full brake setup and adjustable bias/master cylinders which is why Im very particular about my brakes.

At this very moment, I will most likely start playing with different compounds to mess with the brake balance of where I want the vehicle to be. I will initially try a Ferodo DS2500 all around as a base point and start messing with compounds from there. The lines I will swap out either way as I can swap out at low costs for a full braided stainless setup to atleast see if it affects my pedal feel.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:32 PM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On my 987 Cayman, I wasn't terribly pleased about the pedal feel. Some people in that model report dead feeling pedal without a lot of bite (stock pads and rotors).

When I bought the vehicle used, I had no service history on the brakes and the car was 10 years old. So, at least fluid was ready for a change. On my motorcycles, I always like to change out rubber brake lines for stainless braided. So, I got the Goodridge kit for my car and a GT3 master cylinder for improved volume/mm of travel. I wanted a full fluid flush since the clutch used a common loop, as well.

With these being done, even with stock pads and rotors, i get much nicer brake feel, stronger bite and just what I was looking for. YMMV.

Trending Topics

Old 04-12-2018, 02:47 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Originally Posted by geeky
Pedal modulation/feel and brake balance is off and not what I would prefer to have setup on this vehicle. The initial bite of the current pads installed (not sure of what is installed by previous owner) is very lacking to say the least.

I've been daily driving a track prepped vehicle with a full brake setup and adjustable bias/master cylinders which is why Im very particular about my brakes.

At this very moment, I will most likely start playing with different compounds to mess with the brake balance of where I want the vehicle to be. I will initially try a Ferodo DS2500 all around as a base point and start messing with compounds from there. The lines I will swap out either way as I can swap out at low costs for a full braided stainless setup to atleast see if it affects my pedal feel.
Ss lines would be a waste of money. They are more likely to fail than OEM lines and not necessarily going to offer Any more strength.

You are mentioning 2 different issues. One is bite and the 2nd is brake balance. For bite I tend to agree that a DS2500 is a better biting pad then the OEM Textars. The OEM pads are absolute fantastic for pedal modulation which is of course going to mean that they're not a high initial bite pad. As for brake balance can you explain what issue you're having?
The following users liked this post:
stevensivak (05-10-2020)
Old 04-12-2018, 03:08 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

You are not going to get the same performance out of ANY street car that you get out of a track set up like you described. I'd err on the side of not screwing up Porsche's engineering. They seem to know what they are doing.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:29 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

unless you can look at them and see something wrong, A 10 yr old car may need rotors and pads. You probably do. If you get them back like new there shouldnt be anything but praise
Old 04-12-2018, 03:40 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 861 Posts

I think you offended folks here by saying the car is "lacking" and in particular, the S with upgraded brakes.

Porsche brakes are some of the best in the business with a great balance of street vs track right off the showroom floor and totally capable of dissipating heat from hard track use.... of course, you don't have to agree with this. If you are one of those that love to "upgrade" knock yourself out, there are tons of options for these cars.

BTW, I "upgraded" my brake lines to StopTech stainless and I can't tell a difference......it was cheap, entertaining, and I learned something so I don't regret it, but I can't recommend anyone do this.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-12-2018, 03:45 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 604 Likes on 342 Posts

Geeky,

I saw your comments on track prep. If you decide to go that route with your 997, we have a fantastic brake package that may bolt right onto your car. We literally have a 997 arriving to today for a test fit. We believe the 997 brakes to be the same as the 987 Cayman. In that case, we have front and rear options for your car. There have been numerous posts about our kits on this forum. Our 991 GT3 and 981 GT4 kits start shipping next week, and we're just now really catching our stride in the Porsche market. Pretty soon you'll see a lot more Porsche customer feedback on these incredible systems that we are putting together. Porsche owners unfortunately just don't know that they haven't had the opportunity to get the good stuff yet! Our systems are as close as one can get to the AP Racing Radi-CAL system on the 911 RSR in IMSA:

Also, if you try the DS2500 and aren't crazy about them, the DS1.11 could be a potential option depending on wants/needs. We can help you sort that out though. Feel free to PM me at any time!

Brake Kits:

Front Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kit

Rear Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kit

Related Posts:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...on-cayman.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...t-finally.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/performa...brake-kit.html

You can see tons of owner feedback from other platforms on the Essex blog: https://www.essexparts.com/news-blog

Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 04-12-2018, 04:05 PM
geeky
Instructor

Originally Posted by okbarnett
unless you can look at them and see something wrong, A 10 yr old car may need rotors and pads. You probably do. If you get them back like new there shouldnt be anything but praise
Originally Posted by okbarnett
Car was just serviced with new pads and fluid a month ago with proof of maintenance from a local high esteemed PCA shop by the previous owner.

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I think you offended folks here by saying the car is "lacking" and in particular, the S with upgraded brakes.

Porsche brakes are some of the best in the business with a great balance of street vs track right off the showroom floor and totally capable of dissipating heat from hard track use.... of course, you don't have to agree with this. If you are one of those that love to "upgrade" knock yourself out, there are tons of options for these cars.

BTW, I "upgraded" my brake lines to StopTech stainless and I can't tell a difference......it was cheap, entertaining, and I learned something so I don't regret it, but I can't recommend anyone do this.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Ain't that the truth. I call it as I see it. The current brake setup is very lacking for performance even for daily use. So I guess I'll pioneer forward with this fine tuning and post my results incase anyone else is in my shoes later in the future.

​​​​​​​
Old 04-12-2018, 04:26 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Car was just serviced with new pads and fluid a month ago with proof of maintenance from a local high esteemed PCA shop by the previous owner.

Ain't that the truth. I call it as I see it. The current brake setup is very lacking for performance even for daily use. So I guess I'll pioneer forward with this fine tuning and post my results incase anyone else is in my shoes later in the future.

I actually don't see anything you've said as being offensive in any way. You mentioned that the brakes do not have the initial bite that you want which is a simple pad issue.

You can get a pad compound that'll put you through the windshield the second you touch the brakes if you want initial bite and you can get ones That make it feel like you have to push the pedal into the floor before they start biting and you can get ones anywhere in between

mike
Old 04-12-2018, 04:40 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

I'm sure it will be easy to do better than Weissach. These vehicle's brakes really lack.

Quick Reply: Carrera S Brakes Lacking