Sponsored by:

low oil pressure at idle , looking deeper

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 03:39 PM
Hectoy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low oil pressure at idle , looking deeper

Hi all, new to the forum thing but I've found so much useful info that I joined to ask a burning question about "low oil at warm idle", I tried most all remedies for my issue, from replacing the "oil pressure relief valve and spring", changing from M1 0w40 to Motul 5w40 to M15w50, and still after getting off freeway after a 20 minute ride to work at about 50 some degrees the oil pressure needle rest between .5 bar and 1.
I also thought that my cooling system might be causing this cause the oil is cooled by the coolant in the exchanger, so, and thats a big so, I replaced coolant tank, water pump, and installed a low temp T-stat, with new G40 coolant (pink). so there it is in a nut shell.
I don't have any clicking, tapping, vibrating noises of any kind, engine never sound so good, and it does have 120 k mile on the original engine
and I can still hit the 140 mph mark she is smooth as ice.
Only thing I could think of is the spring in the "oil relief " is exactly the same as the one I took out, and I can't find info on the size of the updated version spring to compare to.

thanx all

Hectoy
Old 03-27-2018, 03:54 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,442 Likes on 835 Posts

have you considered the sender may be inaccurate? Have you compared to a mechanical gauge?
Old 03-27-2018, 07:09 PM
Joehatz
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

GM vehicles have this problem.
The oil pressure will go to zero and the warnings to stop engine will come on.
The fix is first change oil and filter and if this does not work replace sender unit.
I have had this happen on 5 or 6 vehicles.
Have a Mechanic put a master oil pressure gauge on when car is warm and see what it reads.
If you have good pressure the change the sender.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:05 PM
Hectoy
Track Day

Back when I noticed my oil pressure needle bouncing around it was forwards the end of summer 2017 when we had those temps up in the 114's , thought it was just extreme heat in slow traffic, but it didn't change much even on cool days thats when I found one of the posts about the pressure sending device, changed it and the oil with fresh 0w40 and not much change and did more resarching and somewhere was mentioned the AOS, changed it, still nothing, then everyhing I did in the previous post, now I hear some say the scavenger pump might have a simular symptoms...
Old 03-27-2018, 08:44 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

You are not reading physical oil pressure at the instrument panel. It's an electrical signal from the oil pressure sensor on the engine. If you think you have low pressure you must verify with a mechanical gauge. Otherwise you're just guessing.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:04 PM
Hectoy
Track Day

Your absolutely right, it' very simular to the water temp gauge, it says it' 175 degrees but my OBD II shows temps to swing from 168 all the way up to around to 200 range pending driving style of the day.
I found a port I ientical to where the oil pressure sending device sits, it on the opposite side, I thing if the engine was a turbo it would have 2 oil sending units. I checked the oil circuits and found that oil is present at that point, only thing is that it' pretty close to the coolant tank and might be to difficult to setup a mechanical oil pressure guage.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:55 PM
Hectoy
Track Day

Originally Posted by Hectoy
Hi all, new to the forum thing but I've found so much useful info that I joined to ask a burning question about "low oil at warm idle", I tried most all remedies for my issue, from replacing the "oil pressure relief valve and spring", changing from M1 0w40 to Motul 5w40 to M15w50, and still after getting off freeway after a 20 minute ride to work at about 50 some degrees the oil pressure needle rest between .5 bar and 1.
I also thought that my cooling system might be causing this cause the oil is cooled by the coolant in the exchanger, so, and thats a big so, I replaced coolant tank, water pump, and installed a low temp T-stat, with new G40 coolant (pink). so there it is in a nut shell.
I don't have any clicking, tapping, vibrating noises of any kind, engine never sound so good, and it does have 120 k mile on the original engine
and I can still hit the 140 mph mark she is smooth as ice.
Only thing I could think of is the spring in the "oil relief " is exactly the same as the one I took out, and I can't find info on the size of the updated version spring to compare to.

thanx all

Hectoy
not sure if I did it right ( attaching pic's), here are 2 pic's, right side of my engine (simular) showing "oil sending device" . And the second showing the left side where a second "oil sending device" would be if the car was a factory turbo, this is where is had planned to put the mechanical gauge.
Attached Images   
Old 03-29-2018, 01:56 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The second picture is just showing where they plug off the oil pressure sender hole. They use the same casting for both bank cam covers and you only need one sensor so one side gets a plug. The 997 turbo of this generation used a completely different engine. Plugging a mechanical oil pressure gauge into that port will do the trick nicely.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:49 AM
Hectoy
Track Day

Originally Posted by PTEC
The second picture is just showing where they plug off the oil pressure sender hole. They use the same casting for both bank cam covers and you only need one sensor so one side gets a plug. The 997 turbo of this generation used a completely different engine. Plugging a mechanical oil pressure gauge into that port will do the trick nicely.
Great I'll figure out how to attach a oil hose and mount an actual high temp/ high pressure hose with a mechanical gauge so I could see it, thanx for the big boost of confidence...
Hectoy

Quick Reply: low oil pressure at idle , looking deeper