Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: The Italian Tune-Up: Fact or Fiction?
Fact
81.13%
Fiction
18.87%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

The Italian Tune-Up: Fact or Fiction?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 08:10 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
More fiction than fact, in my opinion.

Modern cars are designed to run efficiently over a very wide range of environmental and driving conditions as well as variations in the grades of fuel.

Back in the carbonated days or even early fuel injector days, "blowing out the carbon" really was true. Not so much today, but it's a lot of fun to try!
Bingo. Total nonsense for a modern car.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:04 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 254 Posts

Since I got into motorcycle racing, I've always broke in my cars and motos via the MotoTune method. If you have any opportunity to do an Italian Tune-Up, do it and let her rip!

Old 03-27-2018, 11:01 PM
larrysb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

I'd love to see a before and after dyno test.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:28 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
Since I got into motorcycle racing, I've always broke in my cars and motos via the MotoTune method. If you have any opportunity to do an Italian Tune-Up, do it and let her rip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T444D7IRnmY
Now there's a DME report I wanna see!
Old 03-28-2018, 01:04 AM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Skwerl
Now there's a DME report I wanna see!
Haha! The MKIV Supra was one over engineered car. Each cylinder has its own oil squirters and an iron block is very strong. I have a TT 6 speed.

Last edited by DesmoSD; 03-28-2018 at 01:31 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:53 AM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Bingo. Total nonsense for a modern car.
Modern engines are far better at metering and vaporing fuel. This means that little unburned HC remains and the Italian tuneup does nothing.

Now is it fun to do, YES.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:09 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by ecostellodo
Modern engines are far better at metering and vaporing fuel. This means that little unburned HC remains and the Italian tuneup does nothing.

Now is it fun to do, YES.
agreed. now if you do nothing but lug the car at 1500rpm or do exclusively super short (1 mile) trips, then an italian tune up may have some minor benefit, but realistically, the difference won't be substantial. Anything to the contrary on a modern fuel injected car is placebo.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:21 AM
matt997
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

First, I voted Fact, I do believe hitting red line on occasion is important to a healthy engine. DI or not.

I base that on this observation. A couple years back my wife and I both had BMWs with N55 DI motors. I drove mine hard, hitting redline frequently (which isn't that exciting in a sterile feeling BMW) while my wife mostly babied her car, rarely going above 4k rpms based on my observations riding with her.

I noticed, when in auto mode in my car and I floor it the downshift would cause a big jump in RPM, obviously, but looking in the rear view mirror there was never a hint of black exhaust. I'd try to take my wifes car out once ever few months and do the same and that thing would release a huge cloud of black smoke, border line rolling coal when it downshifted and hit redline. That alone is enough to convince me tickling redline on occasion is important to blowing some carbon out.

Both vehicles performed the same, in fact my wife has close to 100k miles on her N55 and it's still running strong but like clock work, when I take her car out and floor it I can see black cloud of exhaust. I often wonder, if I daily drove her car and hit redline more frequently if those black clouds would subside. Unfortunately, I don't see myself DDing her car anytime soon.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:42 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

So in conclusion, those who own Porsche's, an Italian Tune Up=huge grin on your face
Old 03-29-2018, 01:22 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by matt997
First, I voted Fact, I do believe hitting red line on occasion is important to a healthy engine. DI or not.

I base that on this observation. A couple years back my wife and I both had BMWs with N55 DI motors. I drove mine hard, hitting redline frequently (which isn't that exciting in a sterile feeling BMW) while my wife mostly babied her car, rarely going above 4k rpms based on my observations riding with her.

I noticed, when in auto mode in my car and I floor it the downshift would cause a big jump in RPM, obviously, but looking in the rear view mirror there was never a hint of black exhaust. I'd try to take my wifes car out once ever few months and do the same and that thing would release a huge cloud of black smoke, border line rolling coal when it downshifted and hit redline. That alone is enough to convince me tickling redline on occasion is important to blowing some carbon out.

Both vehicles performed the same, in fact my wife has close to 100k miles on her N55 and it's still running strong but like clock work, when I take her car out and floor it I can see black cloud of exhaust. I often wonder, if I daily drove her car and hit redline more frequently if those black clouds would subside. Unfortunately, I don't see myself DDing her car anytime soon.
That soot is from a buildup in your exhaust system, not your engine.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:31 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

It's funny how old ways stay with us. Mazny years ago carbureted motorcycles had unstable idles and could easily stall. Riders would need to keep blipping their throttle to keep the engine running at stop light. Today, you still here them doing it even though there is no need ( assuming no extreme cam setup or poor condition). Thje same with "revving it up to clean it out" with cars. That was necessary for many older or poorly tuned or designed engines ( think many cars from the 1950s,60s,70s) but the myths live on.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:38 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

When I perform the hard acceleration to redline, I picture the rings in my relatively low 15K mileage car flexing and seating themselves against the cylinder walls better over time. Who knows, but GOD I love 2nd gear!
Old 03-29-2018, 01:44 PM
matt997
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fahrer
That soot is from a buildup in your exhaust system, not your engine.
Not sure I can confirm or deny that based on the information available to me. But, soot in exhaust could imply soot / carbon build up further up stream.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:56 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by matt997
Not sure I can confirm or deny that based on the information available to me. But, soot in exhaust could imply soot / carbon build up further up stream.
The soot leaves the engine through the exhaust valves and gets caught in the nooks and crannies of the exhaust system, mostly the muffler and perhaps some in the catalytic converter. Any soot that forms on the intake areas, unfortunately, stays there until serviced. If it did come dislodged, it would enter and exit the cylinder in larger particles. Revving the car up to blow soot out of the exhaust has the same effect in improving the performance of the car as washing the car it does ( it "seems" better).
Old 03-29-2018, 04:22 PM
matt997
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fahrer
The soot leaves the engine through the exhaust valves and gets caught in the nooks and crannies of the exhaust system, mostly the muffler and perhaps some in the catalytic converter. Any soot that forms on the intake areas, unfortunately, stays there until serviced. If it did come dislodged, it would enter and exit the cylinder in larger particles. Revving the car up to blow soot out of the exhaust has the same effect in improving the performance of the car as washing the car it does ( it "seems" better).
If we are assuming soot build up in the cats can be purged via WOT pulls I think that's a solid vote FOR doing an Italian tune up right? Clogged honeycombs in a cat can wreak havoc on downstream o2 readings and in turn impact fuel/air ratios.

Do I think I'm restoring a 10% HP loss by flooring it? No, of course not but again I do think there is value in touching the entire rev range from time to time. Especially on cars that never see that kind of use. Besides, it's really fun to do!!

I do agree you aren't impacting any carbon plaque that may have built on the top of the intake valves.

Quick Reply: The Italian Tune-Up: Fact or Fiction?