Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Is the 911 a Sports Car?
Yes
91.13%
No
8.87%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Is a 911 a sports car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 12:51 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Haven't seen you post in years when you had your supercharged (?) 964.

What is the point in that I don't even listen to music when driving a sports car on the road I save that for my dedicated stereo or DD (IMO Burmester is so overrated and overpriced) That is the beauty of a sports car If I wanted A/C and all that stuff I would buy a 991.2 Turbo S, amazingly capable cars but do nothing to thrill or excite me like the air cooled cars do, They drive themselves and do nothing to challenge me. It isn't about being the fastest if you're not racing it is about enjoying the experience and I extract no pleasure from driving a car like a TurboS other than it is fast. It just feels numb to me.

To each their own.
Hey, you ought to try a DB11. My wife bought me 2017 for my 50th birthday last March. Love the sound, the coach work, the feel . . . and the Bang & Olufsen . . . The new 2018 V8 is even better with the 180 pound weight loss in the front end. The DB11 just might make you forget about those old stinky cars with lameo performance your drive! You'll feel like Bond rather than smell like a grease monkey from an oil field.

Oh come on, you have to remember some of my crazy McIntosh class A sound systems I put in my old air cooled cars and I still thing the Burmester is just fine for a car, but then again I am getting old and perhaps I am going tone death in my old age as well and just don't know it.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:57 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

I am sorry, but this thread shows how irrelevant and frivolous RL is turning into. Last week a thread on the 'requirement' to being a paying member and now this.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:38 AM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

It's a minivan.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:26 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ADias
I am sorry, but this thread shows how irrelevant and frivolous RL is turning into. Last week a thread on the 'requirement' to being a paying member and now this.
Nah, this whole 911 is no longer a sports car thingy is just the air cooled guys still trying to feel relevant given that today's Hundais out perform the old air cooled Porsches.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:41 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,224 Likes on 1,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Hey, you ought to try a DB11. My wife bought me 2017 for my 50th birthday last March. Love the sound, the coach work, the feel . . . and the Bang & Olufsen . . . The new 2018 V8 is even better with the 180 pound weight loss in the front end. The DB11 just might make you forget about those old stinky cars with lameo performance your drive! You'll feel like Bond rather than smell like a grease monkey from an oil field.

Oh come on, you have to remember some of my crazy McIntosh class A sound systems I put in my old air cooled cars and I still thing the Burmester is just fine for a car, but then again I am getting old and perhaps I am going tone death in my old age as well and just don't know it.
Congrats you have a keeper there. I got an old fart T shirt for my 50th. LOL

The DB11 is a great ride. Looks mean as can be when in your rear view mirror although I hate to say I don't consider it a sports car though. I have friends with Vanquish S's and they are quite cool you have to love the lines and the sound is so intoxicating. But for some reason I still keep coming back to the old school 964's as my favorite cars for the weekend drive. As prices keep getting stronger and the condition of my cars so clean I am having a hard time letting go of them. Sound to me is such an important part of the experience and the AM's are fantastic in that department but I have my C2 making a sound that everyone comes up to me and raves about.

I hear you on speed and power. I built a twin turbo 964 3.8RSR tribute for the track. It is as fast (maybe faster) as a 991 GT3RS in a straight line and once i get the car and driver sorted will keep up with them in the turns. Car currently has no aids at all not even ABS or power steering although I think for safety reasons that will change. I can't tell you how much of a thrill and challenge I find it offers on track and have driven some of the newer more capable cars and felt as though I was cheating and don't derive half the thrill form them. I have had some friends drive it that have only experienced the newer cars and it scared the crap out of them. They admitted after taking it for a spin they need to learn more to master a car like this as the newer cars made it far to easy in comparison.

Although for the street at least around me a tweaked 964 is all I need otherwise I need a get out of Jail free card to drive these newer cars and extract a similar experience. I am definitely getting older (I wish last year was my 50th) and I find less enjoyment from driving fast on the street. A nice spirited drive is all I need and find it keeps up nicely with my friends in their RS's and latest TT's through the twisty's.

I just spent the weekend with a friend who has an extensive diverse car collection and his own side business to keep them running and customers cars. He was asked to bring his 83 Holbert built March Red Lobster car to the Amelia Island Concours for a GTP reunion. My friend Dan had his 962 there as well and I am currently helping a friend rebuild a Dauer 962 for the street. His sentiment is similar to yours although slightly different and finds he likes cars at each end of the spectrum and not much in between. Driving a ground effects car is another world all together and these cars carried speeds of up to 200+ MPH on tracks like the Glen back in 83 with modern rubber should be even faster. Although he likes Analog cars best like his Lola T70's (he has Dan Gurney's and Mark Donahue's) and surprisingly admitted that the cars that challenge him the most are his vintage 74 RSR and 79 930 he modified pumping out nearly 600 HP.

His mechanic gave me grief for driving the old school Porsche's and said I need to branch out. So sadly I happened to stumble upon a 74 Pantera project I might involve myself with. Think I am going in the wrong direction. BTW he also has an AM vanquishS as a DD and loves it.

So although I appreciate what modern cars can do so effortlessly unless I am on track with them they serve little purpose other than looking great on the street. I honestly found my base 981 boxster I had for 6 months to be a lot of fun for the street although the GTS is a better ride I don't have to drive the car as much and can be less engaging on the street than the underpowered base. BTW all my weekend cars are still manuals. I appreciate the PDK I have it in my Macan GTS but I need to shift gears to get the best experience out of any car.

So I am still form the school of driving a slow car fast vs driving a fast car slow. As cars like the 718 become more capable they move farther away from the sports car experience and are more focused on speed and although capable are not that well rounded package. I would gladly give up HP and speed for engaging ride and sounds.

My issue with the Burmeister was their home systems. My friend was selling them for a while and although nice I could put together an equally good sounding system for less than half the cost. I don't really listen to music on the road even in my DD. It is more background sound than anything but appreciate a good sounding system. Too bad Ken Shindo passed away I should have purchased more of his home equipment when it was still built by him.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:19 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

BTW, my post are meant to be about as silly as this debate about what is and is not a sports car. Who cares! Drive what makes one happy.

The yard-stick should be “What would Grand Ma say?” If Grand Ma saw my 991.2 turbo cab speeding down the street she would say. “There goes another arsehole in one them fancy “sports cars . . .”
Old 03-15-2018, 11:12 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cobalt
Congrats you have a keeper there. I got an old fart T shirt for my 50th. LOL

The DB11 is a great ride. Looks mean as can be when in your rear view mirror although I hate to say I don't consider it a sports car though. I have friends with Vanquish S's and they are quite cool you have to love the lines and the sound is so intoxicating. But for some reason I still keep coming back to the old school 964's as my favorite cars for the weekend drive. As prices keep getting stronger and the condition of my cars so clean I am having a hard time letting go of them. Sound to me is such an important part of the experience and the AM's are fantastic in that department but I have my C2 making a sound that everyone comes up to me and raves about.

I hear you on speed and power. I built a twin turbo 964 3.8RSR tribute for the track. It is as fast (maybe faster) as a 991 GT3RS in a straight line and once i get the car and driver sorted will keep up with them in the turns. Car currently has no aids at all not even ABS or power steering although I think for safety reasons that will change. I can't tell you how much of a thrill and challenge I find it offers on track and have driven some of the newer more capable cars and felt as though I was cheating and don't derive half the thrill form them. I have had some friends drive it that have only experienced the newer cars and it scared the crap out of them. They admitted after taking it for a spin they need to learn more to master a car like this as the newer cars made it far to easy in comparison.

Although for the street at least around me a tweaked 964 is all I need otherwise I need a get out of Jail free card to drive these newer cars and extract a similar experience. I am definitely getting older (I wish last year was my 50th) and I find less enjoyment from driving fast on the street. A nice spirited drive is all I need and find it keeps up nicely with my friends in their RS's and latest TT's through the twisty's.

I just spent the weekend with a friend who has an extensive diverse car collection and his own side business to keep them running and customers cars. He was asked to bring his 83 Holbert built March Red Lobster car to the Amelia Island Concours for a GTP reunion. My friend Dan had his 962 there as well and I am currently helping a friend rebuild a Dauer 962 for the street. His sentiment is similar to yours although slightly different and finds he likes cars at each end of the spectrum and not much in between. Driving a ground effects car is another world all together and these cars carried speeds of up to 200+ MPH on tracks like the Glen back in 83 with modern rubber should be even faster. Although he likes Analog cars best like his Lola T70's (he has Dan Gurney's and Mark Donahue's) and surprisingly admitted that the cars that challenge him the most are his vintage 74 RSR and 79 930 he modified pumping out nearly 600 HP.

His mechanic gave me grief for driving the old school Porsche's and said I need to branch out. So sadly I happened to stumble upon a 74 Pantera project I might involve myself with. Think I am going in the wrong direction. BTW he also has an AM vanquishS as a DD and loves it.

So although I appreciate what modern cars can do so effortlessly unless I am on track with them they serve little purpose other than looking great on the street. I honestly found my base 981 boxster I had for 6 months to be a lot of fun for the street although the GTS is a better ride I don't have to drive the car as much and can be less engaging on the street than the underpowered base. BTW all my weekend cars are still manuals. I appreciate the PDK I have it in my Macan GTS but I need to shift gears to get the best experience out of any car.

So I am still form the school of driving a slow car fast vs driving a fast car slow. As cars like the 718 become more capable they move farther away from the sports car experience and are more focused on speed and although capable are not that well rounded package. I would gladly give up HP and speed for engaging ride and sounds.

My issue with the Burmeister was their home systems. My friend was selling them for a while and although nice I could put together an equally good sounding system for less than half the cost. I don't really listen to music on the road even in my DD. It is more background sound than anything but appreciate a good sounding system. Too bad Ken Shindo passed away I should have purchased more of his home equipment when it was still built by him.
Very cool. I have always loved your Cobalt Blue 94 3.6T and the 3.6T may still be one of my favorite reasonably priced Porsches of all time. I really miss mine, but cannot justify the current price of reentry for that car. Mine was black with red interior.

yep, my wifey is a keeper, but the DB11 for me is not completely. I did the financially responsible thing and sold my 458 street after she purchased it for me to keep my monthly car budget in tact. I miss my 458 and would trade the DB11 for another 458 street right now if it would not hurt my wife’s feelings.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:33 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
BTW, my post are meant to be about as silly as this debate about what is and is not a sports car. Who cares! Drive what makes one happy.

The yard-stick should be “What would Grand Ma say?” If Grand Ma saw my 991.2 turbo cab speeding down the street she would say. “There goes another arsehole in one them fancy “sports cars . . .”
According to my wife all cabrios are sports cars

But she is amazing and drives the Porsche from time to time. She even drove it (actually we HAVE a cabrio) part of the 500 km road trip from the dealer to our house.

In the middle of the country roads I told her to shift down a gear, then another one and then I said: Floor it!

She did and after going through the gears she calmed down and said "NOW I understand what you mean with a sports car"

From that moment there is never any negative discussions about the car
Old 03-15-2018, 12:46 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,224 Likes on 1,327 Posts

I'm lucky I think. My wife drives all the cars (except the turbo She is afraid of damaging it) including the track car and I have to give her credit, it is a beast and a lot for most to handle and she does a darn decent job driving it fast.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:01 PM
BoxCam
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, had no idea this post would create such a discussion. I bought a 997.2 S M/T Cab in 2017 (my wife insisted as our boy was now 3 and I needed a car seat), before that I had a 986.2 Boxster S, before that I had 2 350Zs, one coupe, one convertible. And I gotta say I was shocked when I sold the Boxster and got the 911. My first thought was "this thing is too refined, this is really at GT car". It felt so much heavier than the Boxster, so much of that nimble feeling that I loved was gone. To me the 997 is like a cross between a GT car and a German muscle car, with too much luxury and refinement for my taste (I need at GT3!).

Then...I took it up to the Malibu canyons for a drive and was truly shocked at the performance. Turn in was amazing and the amount of grip and lack of understeer really blew me away. I really felt like a true sports car up in the canyons!

I love the comments on here, about how old school guys think a car has to be lightweight and a 2-seat convertible. But I also like the comments that times change, and those old strict rules on what makes a sports car may be outdated. Great discussion. I do LOVE my 997.2 S, but at times I definitely miss the more pure nimble sports car feeling of my Boxster S.

Quick Reply: Is a 911 a sports car?