Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the deal with these tires...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 01:29 PM
ScootsS
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What's the deal with these tires...?

I have a 2009 997S Cab that I purchased from the original owner 9 months ago. The car had low mileage and the owner took good care of it.

The rear tires are the original Michelin Pilot Sports that came with the car and they need to be replaced. The fronts are Michelin Pilot Super Sports that were replaced a few years ago due to a bad flat.

This was a bad idea, right? I thought fronts and rears should be the same and N numbers should match...

Regardless, now I need to purchase Super Sports for the rears...but can't seem to find an N number on the fronts...and I don't see an N number for this model on tire rack (despite the original Sports having N numbers).

Can I order these from tire rack with confidence?

thanks!
-S

Old 03-13-2018, 01:41 PM
Shred
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

No need N rated.
Michelin Super Sports is great for streets. Get them again for the back or the new Pilot 4S.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:02 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Michelin Super Sports were never N rated but became the de facto go to tire until the 4S.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:50 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ogun228
Michelin Super Sports were never N rated in 997 sizes but became the de facto go to tire until the 4S.
FYI

N-rated isn't really special in its own right. It's just the designation for the particular specifications that Porsche requests in order to meet their design goals. These specs could comprise a slightly different rubber compound, but from my research N-spec frequently have a tread pattern with more grooves and a deeper tread depth. I've read Porsche has a higher requirement for wet performance than other vehicles, thus they don't frequently fit their cars with a "cheater"-tire that is nearly slick.

Compare a TPC (Chevrolet) spec Pilot Sport Cup2 to a N-spec Pilot Spot Cup2 and you'll see immediately how much different they are.

This doesn't necessarily mean that one tire is better or worse than the other. Pilot Super Sports are great tires (from what I hear) and you would be well off to put a pair on the rear. The previous owner likely replaced the front with non-matching Super Sports because they are much cheaper than the N-spec Pilot Sport PS2, not to mention they have a higher tread-wear rating, supposedly superior grip, etc.

Quick Reply: What's the deal with these tires...?