Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is your ideal 997.2 S worth vs. the market?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 09:13 AM
morefun
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

The LSD is included with Sport PASM. FWIW, the factory LSD won’t be noticeable on the street (min. lockup) and they have proven to be very short lived on the track. Finding a SPASM car without Sport Chrono will be about as difficult as finding a build with LSD and no SPASM. Good luck with hunt, it’s half the fun!
Old 03-09-2018, 09:26 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Black 997.2 GTS with sports chrono, sports exhaust, factory aero kit and mileage in mid 20k or less. Other options a plus including red dials, back interior with red stiching and heated and cooled seats.

I want to find one for $65k or less, but that car is more like upper $80k or even low $90k if CPO and loaded out.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:27 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by morefun
The LSD is included with Sport PASM. FWIW, the factory LSD won’t be noticeable on the street (min. lockup) and they have proven to be very short lived on the track. Finding a SPASM car without Sport Chrono will be about as difficult as finding a build with LSD and no SPASM. Good luck with hunt, it’s half the fun!
LSD means zilch to me. Just something else to possible break and, as you said, not needed for the street.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:55 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 139 Posts

I think the LSD improves the backroad fun factor. I can feel it kick in on some of the twisty roads and turns I go on as the rear outside wheel digs in and powers through the apex, that added with the AWD, makes for a fun time with a C4S. Then again, the posted limit is 30 or 35.....and I'm pretty far above that. I think the LSD is viscous and plates, so if it wears out it goes to open diff.....a fail, but its not going to strand you or anything. A helical diff can be added made by Quaife or Wavetrac, but it takes a good installer to get it all shimmed up properly. Its one mod I would never try myself.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:18 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DC911S
I think the LSD improves the backroad fun factor. I can feel it kick in on some of the twisty roads and turns I go on as the rear outside wheel digs in and powers through the apex, that added with the AWD, makes for a fun time with a C4S. Then again, the posted limit is 30 or 35.....and I'm pretty far above that. I think the LSD is viscous and plates, so if it wears out it goes to open diff.....a fail, but its not going to strand you or anything. A helical diff can be added made by Quaife or Wavetrac, but it takes a good installer to get it all shimmed up properly. Its one mod I would never try myself.
LSD good for heavy threshold braking, trail braking and controlling inside wheel spin coming out of hair pins or super tight decreasing radius. ZF good for threshold or trail braking stability, bad for turn in. Quaife squirely braking, but a bit better on turn in.

Should be on maintenance throttle going through apex so work on turn in, entry speed and balancing car with maintenance throttle if using enough throttle at going through apex to induce any wheel spin at or near apex. LSD also cool for all those drag strip days I suppose.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:49 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 85 Posts

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. You each make good points. I'm actually test driving a car later this afternoon that (on paper and in the photos) looks pretty close to what I want. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I hope its not a let down in-person/upon inspection. I will keep you guys posted.

Separately, "morefun" is correct that the LSD was bundled with SPASM and has pretty mild lock-up ratios. Reportedly (according to Guard and others) the factory LSDs lose their effectiveness relatively quickly in heavy use, too. These are all valid points but I'm in no rush and so I want to find a car that came from the factory they way I would have ordered it. That way I won't be spending my weekends (and money) swapping springs/seats, removing the SportChrono Wart and/or shopping for an aftermarket diff. I agree the build I'm looking for isn't necessarily a "high-dollar" build, but rather an uncommon one. Hence my question.

More to come I hope...
Old 03-09-2018, 05:01 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

997 Carrera LSD is completely different from the 997 GT3 LSD you guys are talking about because the transmissions are completely different.
Guards makes a point that the Aisin LSD in the carrera is robust and durable compared to the gt3s

Comment #16:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post13981436
Old 03-09-2018, 05:36 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by quickxotica
Interesting story. Thank you. Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you don't regret paying the extra $8.5k to get exactly the car you wanted? Right? If you had instead compromised year/options/etc in order to stay within your price target, do you think you would now be happier now? Or would you be kicking yourself for being stuck with the "wrong" 911 (for you), constantly searching for what you really wanted in the first place?

PS: Yes, for the forum-psychologists among you, this thread is a classic pre-rationalization for a financially irrational act. I get it. I know it. But somehow I'm still not immune!! LOL.
I would have paid a bit more if I had found a guards red car instead of the black, all else being the same. The 55K was my initial budget, but it's always easy to blow past that.
I don't regret paying $8.5K extra for a more perfect car.

Don't overthink. Finding a perfectly car may be super difficult. You almost always have to compromise on your wish list.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:47 AM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Default Mission accomplished!

Say hello to my new ride. Checks all the boxes I was looking for and a few more besides.
The following users liked this post:
MaksymKramarenko (08-13-2020)
Old 03-12-2018, 09:25 AM
morefun
Rennlist Member

nwGTS Great info here, thanks!

Originally Posted by nwGTS
997 Carrera LSD is completely different from the 997 GT3 LSD you guys are talking about because the transmissions are completely different.
Guards makes a point that the Aisin LSD in the carrera is robust and durable compared to the gt3s

Comment #16:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post13981436

Old 03-12-2018, 09:32 AM
morefun
Rennlist Member

quickxotica - Congratulations, good looking ride! What options?
Old 03-12-2018, 11:17 AM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats! I like the wheels!
Old 03-12-2018, 01:30 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Default Here's the build:

2012 C2S 6MT with 24k miles. Pretty stoked so far. I've had a number of P-cars over the past 20 years but I think this will be a 'forever' car. I searched every day for 6 months without luck. Every car was black, or a PDK, or a C4, or a Cab, or a GTS with centerlock wheels, or had a beige interior, or non-sport seats, or the #%*! sport-chrono wart on the dash. It became a Sisyphean ritual. I even began considering custom-ordering a new Carrera T! Then this one popped up out of nowhere, configured exactly how I wanted it, and only 90 miles away. When I showed up to see it, at first the dealer couldn't find it and I had this moment of panic. Had it just sold moments before my appointment? Had a tree fallen on it? Was the whole ad and all my conversations with them a bait-and-switch to try selling me that yellow boxster sitting out front? It was funny/not funny. Anyway, in the end it was all fine: the car had been moved to the back of the lot to make room for a crew working on some exterior lights. Once they found it, everything checked out. I'll do a proper new-member intro & post some better pictures when I get a chance, but for now here is the build:

Exterior: Platinum Silver Metallic
Interior: Black Sport Seats in Leather
Options:
030 Pasm Sport Suspension
176 Sports Exhaust System
1H Platinum Silver Metallic
220 Limit Slip Rear Different Lock
267 Self Dimming Mirrors
342 Heated Seats (Front)
375 Manual Sport Seat (left)
376 Manual Sport Seat (right)
672 Extend Navigation Mod-PCM 3.0
680 BOSE(R) Surround Sound System
686 SiriusXM(TM) Sat Radio Tuner
840 SportDesign Steering Wheel
AP Black Sport Seats in Leather
P17 Sports Suspension
P36 Infotainment Package
P77 Sport Seats in Leather
XSX Seat Belts in Guards Red
Old 03-12-2018, 07:00 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 577 Likes on 345 Posts

beautiful car + stance, s-pasm?

Originally Posted by quickxotica
Say hello to my new ride. Checks all the boxes I was looking for and a few more besides.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:13 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myw
beautiful car + stance, s-pasm?
Thanks!
Yup, it's got S-PASM. See full list in post #28.

Quick Reply: What is your ideal 997.2 S worth vs. the market?