Sponsored by:

2012 C2S - Avoid Island Cars??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 02:05 AM
i<3wheat
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2012 C2S - Avoid Island Cars??

What do people think about this: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ink=true&Log=0

It's been at that lot since December with the price creeping down ever so slowly.

Carfax shows the clutch start switch was replaced and the car spent a little over 18 months in Hawaii. Either of those worrisome? I've heard island cars get rust quickly. Is that something a ppi would reveal?
Old 03-08-2018, 11:02 AM
mpath
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by i<3wheat
What do people think about this: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ink=true&Log=0

It's been at that lot since December with the price creeping down ever so slowly.

Carfax shows the clutch start switch was replaced and the car spent a little over 18 months in Hawaii. Either of those worrisome? I've heard island cars get rust quickly. Is that something a ppi would reveal?
Fake news. Have you even been to Hawaii? I go there twice a year and have not notice cars worse for wear than anywhere else. There was even a reddit post of a Lamborghini Centenario in Hawaii. I'd be more concerned about purchasing cars from the Northeast as there's probably more salt on the roads than in Hawaii.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:55 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 449 Likes on 163 Posts

That color, 997.2, 6sp...definitely sweet. I cant comment on the price. Seems high but I know 997.1s better.

Prices are soft in the winter. You typically can expect a 15%+ discount so don't by shy about haggling.

The clutch switch is a non-issue. Its a $50 part that tends to go in some cars. It causes a slight delay when starting the car, or wont allow you to start if it goes completely. It sits under the clutch pedal to sense when the pedal is depressed.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:57 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

I grew up 3 miles from the Pacific Ocean and pre galvanized cars had more rust from the salt in the air. I doubt this car has any major rust.

When that car was listed, it was at 69,995 last summer. This shop is obviously trying to maximize this sale but since it's been on the market for such a long time, it's worth a gander.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:34 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a great looking car. Love the black wheels. I keep reading that 6MT cars are hard to find. Super low miles. I think the price is pretty good and includes warranty? I paid 53 for mine in November , with CPO and 50K miles on it .
Old 03-10-2018, 04:05 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Clutch Switch is actually $19 part and typically throw ABS/PSM or no brake lights warning light. it is 5 min to replace or just repair. Pretty common. There is a newer 02 version now.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:20 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Easy fix: have them take some photos of the underbody. I grew up 2 miles from the Pacific and none of our cars ever had rust; the Pacific was on the other side of the hill. Go over that hill and, and some cars would get rusted bolts, but nothing serious. I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless photos say otherwise.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:10 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

'Its not the heat....its the humidity.' If the air has a high humidity content, it will have a higher corrosive content when mixed with saline. So Cal is relatively low humidity, so the salt air content is low. Now go to the islands in the South Pacific or the Caribbean, rust buckets everywhere. By the carfax, It looks like it was driven sparingly in NJ, and did a year or two in Hawaii. Not perfect, but not a deal breaker. The cars overall condition and how it was treated trumps location. A good PPI would reveal any flaws.

FWIW, Ive been to this dealer looking at another car. They offered to let us take the car for the weekend to see if we liked it. Not an endorsement, but the salesman came off as better than most independent dealers.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:34 PM
KingPinLasVegas
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That car is overpriced. The original sticker was only $99,000. Almost no options. After tax you're over $70,000 on a six year old car. I didn't see anything listed that said CPO or warranty. I'm sure you can find a better car with more options for the price. Take your time and don't buy something you will regret. I would pass.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:31 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 761 Posts

Just as an aside, how many trips can you make in Hawaii that are long enough to heat the oil?
Old 03-11-2018, 10:34 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 2,101 Posts

Wouldnt be super concerned about that. Although many of these cars do live in warm climates, or the ones that are in cold climates with salt are garaged during the winter I would say there are quite a few that are driven year round, through salt, snow, etc. Finding one that has the options, mileage, and has never seen salt is going to be a difficult thing but it can be done I suppose. I do think this car is priced slightly high though due to not having CPO.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:55 AM
Ditchhanger
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Just because it was in Hawaii doesn't mean there are salt air and humidity corrosion issues. I've lived here all my life, and I live on the North Shore of Oahu (known for some of the best surfing in the world). Salt spray during the winter months is pretty ridiculous, but that is isolated to those areas where the surf is big. As long as the car's exterior is cared for, it really shouldn't have any issues. The undercarriage won't have any of the salt or corrosion seen anywhere else in the country.

Quick Reply: 2012 C2S - Avoid Island Cars??