Sponsored by:

2007 997S - killing batteries

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 09:38 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by alwayswantedone
But...I'm now wondering if perhaps the passenger window microswitch that controls the slight lowering when you open the door... is toast. The PPI a year ago noted it was going south, but I've never had it fail or be rattly or anything. I just came in from the garage though...and noted that when I opened/closed that door, the window did not lower/raise. It is in the lowered position. Maybe it has something to do with it...but I gotta be honest, I've been through so many permutations of conditions with the car that I can't think straight at the moment. Maybe the window won't raise that half inch if the hood is open but car double clicked on remote? I have frunk and rear lights removed. My brain is mush.
I know how it is. Electricity is still voodoo magic to me. It took me a few days of testing until I would get consistent results, or results that made sense.

As far as the window controller, thats more likely a symptom of a dead battery/disconnected battery. You can see that for a couple cycles after you disconnect the battery. I was able to reset mine just by opening/closing the door a couple times and manually raising the window. It finally went back to normal. Another time it was out of sync and I disconnected the battery again and it was fine after that.

You will also get a "PSM failure" warning which will clear once you drive down the street. Another random thing I found was your heated seats can stop working. I found a couple posts on RL about this as well. The easiest solution to all is to have RAC use PIWIS to set the car back to "delivery mode". That functionally resets the ECU and clears out the errors. That fixed my heated seat issue.

Ps - At RAC they also have a guy that can restore any of your worn interior bits while your there. He can respray your AC switches but you will lose the stenciling. I would recommend getting those from MACarbon for the best results.

Good luck.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:54 PM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks guys...yep would surprise me too on the window thing but then again.... a few days ago I could *touch* the car and both of my meters would go from .050 to over 2.0A, then back down, well above 2.0A, or you name it, then in the middle, then ... you get the point. Literally I could look at it wrong and it'd spike up and down for no reason for which I can explain. Took the aftermarket Dension unit out of circuit and still same result. I have been humbled into recognizing I have no idea what's going on my car..... I call defeat and taking it to someone who hopefully does know. Really want it fixed.

TheBruce - yep on the PSM failure. Am familiar with that. Sorts itself out after a bit of driving. RE: interior stuff, I'm going the MACarbon route on the AC switches for sure. Also going to replace the round volume and tuning ***** on the PCM as they're getting a bit sticky. Doubt I'll have RAC address any of that but will have them do a once-over on everything.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:57 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

I was looking through Suncoast, saw this and remembered y
this thread. I'm not sure if you found the issue but perhaps check this part out

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU997HARNESS.html
Old 03-06-2018, 01:42 PM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

Thanks everyone. I dropped it off at RAC Performance this morning. Hoping they can track things down to a faulty component(s) without too much trouble. Also hoping the warranty will cover!

-Bill
Old 03-06-2018, 02:13 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

Good luck! I had a 86 Integra that was eating batteries, turns out the wiring loom that went from the alternator to the battery had a bad wire, that from the outside looked fine. But inside it had been corroded through and no longer worked. So electrical issues are not always obvious.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:50 PM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

As an update, the diagnosis is uncertain. Something they did over the past day or two - plugging/unplugging stuff, etc.... now the car has been stable with normal current draw the whole day. I've been hoping it could be isolated definitively as a bad something or another and remedied. But as of now they don't know what they did to get it "normal". Makes me nervous that it could crop up again at any time.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:03 PM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

Car is back home. The battery drain problem is not manifesting at this time, and still undetermined. However, another problem the car had intermittently was a "visit workshop" message in the cluster. This turned out to be a front control module. RAC replaced it. I'm very much hoping the issues were related, but there's no certainty there according to the folks there. Anyway, the car is back and is behaving normally as of this afternoon. RAC guys were great...just crossing my fingers.

Quick Reply: 2007 997S - killing batteries