Sponsored by:

Mystery USB port??? 997.2 PCM3.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 05:41 AM
larrysb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Mystery USB port??? 997.2 PCM3.0

So, it isn't in the manuals and it doesn't appear to be active if something is plugged into it, just wondering if about this USB port I have on my new-to-me 2011 C2S-Cabrio. Any guesses?

Old 02-17-2018, 07:30 AM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aftermarket add on. I don't have one, but I do have a remote radar detector mounted in that slot.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:52 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 103 Posts

Definitely aftermarket addition. Does the car have a hidden radar detection system?
Old 02-17-2018, 01:38 PM
larrysb
Racer

No radar detector that I've found, but there's a backup camera on the rear license frame that isn't active. I found a thin cable dangling under the front when I had it on a lift yesterday, that I presumed was related to the camera. It could have had a remote radar system in it.

Guess I'll need to pull some stuff out to explore....
Old 02-17-2018, 04:02 PM
Kipp
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Could be power supply. Look for a wires coming from your fuse box to power it. Otherwise it might be an auxiliary audio input for an android device.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:52 AM
larrysb
Racer

Did some more poking around this morning and pulled the side panel on the radio stack for a peak. Looks like one of the prior owners had a different head unit in the car and returned the PCM 3.0 back to the stack when they sold it. Pulled out some wires that were bundled up there.

The USB port is just an extension, ie, there's a cable and a USB plug on it that would likely just plug into an aftermarket head unit. I have to say, the box it is mounted in was very nicely made and fitted perfectly to the storage tray. Whoever did that did a great job on it. I'm half-tempted to just leave it and find a USB high-power charger to connect into switched power.

I found what I'm pretty sure is the backup camera cable (Boyo VTL375) and an unknown mini coax with a green plastic connector shell on it. It looks to be the same kind of wire I found dangling down under the nose. I suspect it may have been an XM antenna, put under the front bumper cover for reception.

Not sure if the second photo is a bundle of factory wiring that's unused, or aftermarket radio installation left overs.

Not sure if this unused bundle is factory or part of an aftermarket head unit install.

Back up cam wire? Unknown green plastic coax.

Quick Reply: Mystery USB port??? 997.2 PCM3.0