997 Sport Design Steering Wheel Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 06:08 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,105 Likes on 2,124 Posts
Default 997 Sport Design Steering Wheel Install

Hi Everyone,

My car currently has a multifunction and heated PDK steering wheel and I want to get the Sport Design one. I contacted Suncoast and they are on backorder currently. Just wondering if anyone has done the install and if it requires dealer programming of any sort? Suncoast seems to believe that it will require some dealer programming but they aren't sure what specifically. Just wondering how easy it is to DIY at home, my friend did it and he had no issue but only had a PDK wheel, no heat or multifunction. Not sure if I will be able to drive it to the dealer after install to get coding done, or if I should just have the dealer do everything. Anyone have experience ordering it from Suncoast? Seems to be fair pricing at $900 or so. Was going to order from them because they seem to have everything figured out on what is needed.

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2018, 06:48 PM
23bw
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this on my 997.2 GTS which came equipped with a Multi-function PDK wheel (with Heat). My car is equipped with Sport Chrono Plus so I ordered the appropriate Sport Design steering wheel from Suncoast for about $999. Installation was simply a plug and play without any need to reprogram the car.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:07 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 23bw
I did this on my 997.2 GTS which came equipped with a Multi-function PDK wheel (with Heat). My car is equipped with Sport Chrono Plus so I ordered the appropriate Sport Design steering wheel from Suncoast for about $999. Installation was simply a plug and play without any need to reprogram the car.
Thank you, that is exactly what I needed to know.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:32 AM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

i believe you need some programming to be done if you want the lights (sport, sport plus) on the steering wheel to work? if not its just plug and play.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:31 PM
23bw
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 997.2 GTS, the Sport and Sport Plus lights on the new steering wheel just worked without any need for programming.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:48 PM
kricci
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts

Agree with others - I have done two of these, one 6 speed multi function wheel on a 997.1, and one PDK on a 997.2 - the PDK was slightly more difficult than the 6 speed, however i would put both as a 3-4 on a 1-10 scale (10 being hardest).

I recommend, that you take a picture of everything once you pop off the airbag and before undoing anything. I find that is extremely helpful before i remove anything, snap a pic and then i have something to go back and reference. It always helps to have the basis if you forget what it should look like while installing.

Good luck!
Old 02-11-2018, 01:09 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Thank you, that is exactly what I needed to know.
Originally Posted by Presto
i believe you need some programming to be done if you want the lights (sport, sport plus) on the steering wheel to work? if not its just plug and play.
On my 997.2 GTS, the Sport and Sport Plus lights on the new steering wheel just worked without any need for programming.
Originally Posted by kricci
Agree with others - I have done two of these, one 6 speed multi function wheel on a 997.1, and one PDK on a 997.2 - the PDK was slightly more difficult than the 6 speed, however i would put both as a 3-4 on a 1-10 scale (10 being hardest).

I recommend, that you take a picture of everything once you pop off the airbag and before undoing anything. I find that is extremely helpful before i remove anything, snap a pic and then i have something to go back and reference. It always helps to have the basis if you forget what it should look like while installing.

Good luck!
Thanks for the help everyone. Does anyone happen to have the part number for the 997.2 wheel with sport chrono. I have a 2011 Carrera S with PDK.

Quick Reply: 997 Sport Design Steering Wheel Install