Sponsored by:

New 997.1 Owner!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 01:04 AM
Chumaco
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 997.1 Owner!

I'm joining many others as a first-time Porsche owner to post on rennlist! I purchased a 2007 midnight blue 911 C2S recently. Everything is stock except for an Alcantara shifter that the previous owner had installed.

As seems common to other 911 shoppers, I searched casually for a few years while I was saving money and drove 911's that belonged to friends or to used car dealers to feed the hunger until my time came. Then I searched more intensely over the past 6-8 months before pulling the trigger on a car that was for sale on the other side of the country (I live in Portland, OR).

The pre-purchase went relatively well given I knew I'd be making a purchase decision without seeing the car in person. I debated options to actually travel to see it or to have my brother-in-law that lives in the area go see it for me, but in the end I trusted a pre-purchase inspection, multiple phone calls with the seller, and a couple FaceTime calls as well to look the car over. It was a risk but I took it. It was a higher mileage car but still had two years and lots of miles left on an aftermarket bumper to bumper warranty. I also was able to speak with the Porsche dealer that had serviced the car for most of its life.

I arranged an open trailer transport via Montway, a car transport broker. Then the hard part of waiting. It took just under a week to get across the country, though it seemed like longer. I was super excited when I heard it arrive outside the house. I looked it over and was giddy enough that I wasn't too disappointed in how dirty with road and what looked like oil residue all over the car from its long, stormy trip. The truck driver told me he tried to wipe away one of the oil smudges with a towel to see if it was bad or not. Not a good idea. You can see in the image the scratches that he put in the paint because of it.

Fresh upon arrival.

The scratches after a careful wash.

Fortunately they were cool about having it taken care of and paid to have it repaired. I paid to have the leather seats treated/detailed and was really impressed with the outcome. The bolsters had some normal ware and tare before but the detailer did a great job.

I drive it almost everyday as my commuter (about 15 miles each way) and am in love with the driving experience. I put on Pirelli Sottozero winter tires and they've been fantastic in the winter rain. I have no regrets whatsoever.

One small thing I noticed on my first few fuel fill ups is that the automatic pump feature at most gas stations would trip prematurely. I live in Oregon so I have to rely on paid attendants to fill the car and almost every time the pump would stop pumping at about three quarter tank. It was a little frustrating to have to explain to the attendant that it wasn't full and needed more. They would be concerned about topping off. Then via a little research on the forums helped me discover the beauty little adapter that Porsche made. Evidently the environmentally friendly plastic cover on the pump tips traps the gasoline vapors and creates a vacuum that trips the automatic pump. Anyway, the little $7 adapter solved the problem. (See images below.) It just snaps right over the fuel pipe and doesn't impede any normal operation of the cap. It's great.

Anyway, I'll share more over time about maintenance and the like but in the meantime I'll enjoy the ride. I do appreciate all the fantastic information, advice, and experiences of others on this forum. It's been a great help already in my short time of ownership.

Last edited by Chumaco; 02-02-2018 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-02-2018, 02:04 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

Welcome! Great looking car. I have the same wheels. They are classic but a bitch to clean.

Re the transport, that sucks! I used Montway as well and they upgraded me for free to an enclosed carrier because they were a couple days late. I originally said it didn't matter since my car had 40k miles on it anyway, but I stand corrected. Thats a bummer to have a car arrive like that.

Re the gas cap adapter, amazing! I forgot to mention that on my list of annoyances in my recent post "first year of 997 ownership by the numbers". I never can get my car 100% full.

How did the detail the seat? Just cleaned it or did they re-dye it as well?

Enjoy it! You will have a blast.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:13 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Enjoy the new car. She's a beauty...T
Old 02-02-2018, 08:21 AM
Hams911
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

Welcome and best of luck with your new ride! Looks like my c4s twin. Love the midnight blue it has so many different shades depending on how the light hits it. Enjoy!
Old 02-02-2018, 08:58 AM
gtvr6
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I love that Color

Congratulations on the new (to you) 997 - I really love the way that color combination looks. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:04 AM
b0rderman
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats! I got my first just last week. Glad to hear the shipping company is making it right. This is the only time in my life where I am jealous of someone's longer commute.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:15 AM
Chumaco
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Welcome! Great looking car. I have the same wheels. They are classic but a bitch to clean.

Re the transport, that sucks! I used Montway as well and they upgraded me for free to an enclosed carrier because they were a couple days late. I originally said it didn't matter since my car had 40k miles on it anyway, but I stand corrected. Thats a bummer to have a car arrive like that.

Re the gas cap adapter, amazing! I forgot to mention that on my list of annoyances in my recent post "first year of 997 ownership by the numbers". I never can get my car 100% full.

How did the detail the seat? Just cleaned it or did they re-dye it as well?

Enjoy it! You will have a blast.
Thanks! Re: the seats they cleaned and dyed as well. It seems to be holding up well but will see over time. And yes, I'm with you on the wheels. My solution thus far has been to just not clean the car.

Quick Reply: New 997.1 Owner!