Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   997.2 Prices (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1045327-997-2-prices.html)

doclouie 01-28-2018 06:42 PM

997.2 Prices

So in my search for an all wheel drive 997.2 I have come across that Porsche will be coming out with a new 911 in the Fall. So here are some questions for those out there who have been 911 owners and enthusiasts for a lot longer than me.

1. What month this year will the new 2019 911 model be available for purchase?

2. When a new model comes out do you see a big drop in prices of older models as many want to have the latest and greatest Porsche?

3. How much if any will coming out with a new model push down the cost of the current 997.2 market?

I will of course continue to look for what I am wanting, but wonder if I wait 12 months if the prices will go down significantly. Thanks for your help.

Austin997.2 01-28-2018 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by doclouie
So in my search for an all wheel drive 997.2 I have come across that Porsche will be coming out with a new 911 in the Fall. So here are some questions for those out there who have been 911 owners and enthusiasts for a lot longer than me.

2. When a new model comes out do you see a big drop in prices of older models as many want to have the latest and greatest Porsche?

3. How much if any will coming out with a new model push down the cost of the current 997.2 market?

I will of course continue to look for what I am wanting, but wonder if I wait 12 months if the prices will go down significantly. Thanks for your help.

The 997's besides Turbos has one big thing going for it long term: last naturally aspirated 911 with hydraulic steering

doclouie 01-28-2018 10:20 PM

Any idea what month the new Porsche will be available?

ltcjmramos 01-28-2018 10:33 PM

IMO, and, frankly, I don't pay much attention to the market, because there have already been two series that have come out since the 997.2, I don't believe the 992 will have much of an impact. In fact, if the 992 continues the slide torward GT-dom, the 997.2 should hold value. Of course, that might be wishful thinking on my part.

If you find the car that fits your specs, buy it. Enjoy it for the months you'd otherwise be waiting.

DC911S 01-28-2018 11:12 PM

Doubtful the new 992 will make 997 prices drop.

doclouie 01-28-2018 11:18 PM

I will continue to look for the exact one I want and will pull the trigger when I find it. I want a 4 wheel drive because I will probably live in cold country in the next couple of years and I love the wider stance too. So few and far between with any 4’s or 4S’s though. They just seem to be rare. I wish I could find out how many all wheel drives they made in a 997.2.

sandwedge 01-29-2018 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 14761347)

A lot of people don't care for the 991 so it almost seems like that car stabilized the prices of 997's rather than making them drop. And the fact that you (and others) have a hard time finding 997.2 C4's and C4S's may not be a coincidence either. Have no idea what the 992 will be all about but it seems like a new era was entered with the 991 and my guess is that they'll continue down that path.

mike cap 01-29-2018 07:43 AM

To the OP - you are way overthinking this. It’s hard enough finding a good car without a history or a story, let alone trying to factor in what a new model intro is going to do to pricing.

Spend your energy finding a good car that is well documented and if you pay a few thousand too
much just amortize it over the years you’ll own and enjoy the car. The extra cost will be less than a latte per day.

LISsailor 01-29-2018 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by mike cap (Post 14762206)
To the OP - you are way overthinking this. It’s hard enough finding a good car without a history or a story, let alone trying to factor in what a new model intro is going to do to pricing.

Spend your energy finding a good car that is well documented and if you pay a few thousand too
much just amortize it over the years you’ll own and enjoy the car. The extra cost will be less than a latte per day.

Lol. +1

ejdoherty911 01-29-2018 09:10 AM

1. May
2. No.
3. Zero

doclouie 01-29-2018 12:26 PM

Thank you for those who have posted. Yes being an engineer I overthink everything. In my line of work though everything must be overthought or something may be missed and people will die. Hard not to bring that type of thinking into my personal life. The reduced production numbers of the 997.2 don’t help much either. Cheers.

DC911S 01-29-2018 12:38 PM

I'm an engineer, but in two years or so if the market does well...I'll no longer be one. But yes, quit over thinking things as most engineers do.

jhbrennan 01-29-2018 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 14762643)
Thank you for those who have posted. Yes being an engineer I overthink everything. In my line of work though everything must be overthought or something may be missed and people will die. Hard not to bring that type of thinking into my personal life. The reduced production numbers of the 997.2 don’t help much either. Cheers.

You say you'll "probably" live in cold country so you really don't need a C4 now but I understand the desire of the wide look so don't forget the GTS - wide body in both C2 and C4 versions.

WhipE350 01-29-2018 10:26 PM

I agree with the others. Forget about the 992 or whatever it is or whenever it will come out. If you find the 'right' C4S buy it, you live once and if you really want one get it and don't worry how much it will cost a year from now. A really nice C4S meeting your requirements could take a little while to find. If you were simply looking for say a C2 you could wait and maybe save a couple grand.

As for 992 impact on 997.2 prices, it is more likely to continue to impact the 991.1 prices.

ElectricChair 01-29-2018 11:38 PM

1. Probably August or September/2018.
2. Not much. You see big drops right after warranty expiration.
3. 992 will push down 991's price, not 997.2.

> I will of course continue to look for what I am wanting, but wonder if I wait 12 months if the prices will go down significantly.
Clean and low mileage examples of 997.2 will appreciate in value.