Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   997.2 Prices (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1045327-997-2-prices.html)

doclouie 01-28-2018 06:42 PM

997.2 Prices

So in my search for an all wheel drive 997.2 I have come across that Porsche will be coming out with a new 911 in the Fall. So here are some questions for those out there who have been 911 owners and enthusiasts for a lot longer than me.

1. What month this year will the new 2019 911 model be available for purchase?

2. When a new model comes out do you see a big drop in prices of older models as many want to have the latest and greatest Porsche?

3. How much if any will coming out with a new model push down the cost of the current 997.2 market?

I will of course continue to look for what I am wanting, but wonder if I wait 12 months if the prices will go down significantly. Thanks for your help.

Austin997.2 01-28-2018 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by doclouie
So in my search for an all wheel drive 997.2 I have come across that Porsche will be coming out with a new 911 in the Fall. So here are some questions for those out there who have been 911 owners and enthusiasts for a lot longer than me.

2. When a new model comes out do you see a big drop in prices of older models as many want to have the latest and greatest Porsche?

3. How much if any will coming out with a new model push down the cost of the current 997.2 market?

I will of course continue to look for what I am wanting, but wonder if I wait 12 months if the prices will go down significantly. Thanks for your help.

The 997's besides Turbos has one big thing going for it long term: last naturally aspirated 911 with hydraulic steering

doclouie 01-28-2018 10:20 PM

Any idea what month the new Porsche will be available?

ltcjmramos 01-28-2018 10:33 PM

IMO, and, frankly, I don't pay much attention to the market, because there have already been two series that have come out since the 997.2, I don't believe the 992 will have much of an impact. In fact, if the 992 continues the slide torward GT-dom, the 997.2 should hold value. Of course, that might be wishful thinking on my part.

If you find the car that fits your specs, buy it. Enjoy it for the months you'd otherwise be waiting.

DC911S 01-28-2018 11:12 PM

Doubtful the new 992 will make 997 prices drop.

doclouie 01-28-2018 11:18 PM

I will continue to look for the exact one I want and will pull the trigger when I find it. I want a 4 wheel drive because I will probably live in cold country in the next couple of years and I love the wider stance too. So few and far between with any 4’s or 4S’s though. They just seem to be rare. I wish I could find out how many all wheel drives they made in a 997.2.

sandwedge 01-29-2018 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 14761347)

A lot of people don't care for the 991 so it almost seems like that car stabilized the prices of 997's rather than making them drop. And the fact that you (and others) have a hard time finding 997.2 C4's and C4S's may not be a coincidence either. Have no idea what the 992 will be all about but it seems like a new era was entered with the 991 and my guess is that they'll continue down that path.

mike cap 01-29-2018 07:43 AM

To the OP - you are way overthinking this. It’s hard enough finding a good car without a history or a story, let alone trying to factor in what a new model intro is going to do to pricing.

Spend your energy finding a good car that is well documented and if you pay a few thousand too
much just amortize it over the years you’ll own and enjoy the car. The extra cost will be less than a latte per day.

LISsailor 01-29-2018 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by mike cap (Post 14762206)
To the OP - you are way overthinking this. It’s hard enough finding a good car without a history or a story, let alone trying to factor in what a new model intro is going to do to pricing.

Spend your energy finding a good car that is well documented and if you pay a few thousand too
much just amortize it over the years you’ll own and enjoy the car. The extra cost will be less than a latte per day.

Lol. +1

ejdoherty911 01-29-2018 09:10 AM

1. May
2. No.
3. Zero

doclouie 01-29-2018 12:26 PM

Thank you for those who have posted. Yes being an engineer I overthink everything. In my line of work though everything must be overthought or something may be missed and people will die. Hard not to bring that type of thinking into my personal life. The reduced production numbers of the 997.2 don’t help much either. Cheers.

DC911S 01-29-2018 12:38 PM

I'm an engineer, but in two years or so if the market does well...I'll no longer be one. But yes, quit over thinking things as most engineers do.

jhbrennan 01-29-2018 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 14762643)
Thank you for those who have posted. Yes being an engineer I overthink everything. In my line of work though everything must be overthought or something may be missed and people will die. Hard not to bring that type of thinking into my personal life. The reduced production numbers of the 997.2 don’t help much either. Cheers.

You say you'll "probably" live in cold country so you really don't need a C4 now but I understand the desire of the wide look so don't forget the GTS - wide body in both C2 and C4 versions.

WhipE350 01-29-2018 10:26 PM

I agree with the others. Forget about the 992 or whatever it is or whenever it will come out. If you find the 'right' C4S buy it, you live once and if you really want one get it and don't worry how much it will cost a year from now. A really nice C4S meeting your requirements could take a little while to find. If you were simply looking for say a C2 you could wait and maybe save a couple grand.

As for 992 impact on 997.2 prices, it is more likely to continue to impact the 991.1 prices.

ElectricChair 01-29-2018 11:38 PM

1. Probably August or September/2018.
2. Not much. You see big drops right after warranty expiration.
3. 992 will push down 991's price, not 997.2.

> I will of course continue to look for what I am wanting, but wonder if I wait 12 months if the prices will go down significantly.
Clean and low mileage examples of 997.2 will appreciate in value.

promocop 01-29-2018 11:57 PM

Wishfull thinking ALL cars DEPRECIATE Period And the closer we get to the mission E, even more so. The world is clearly going electric...dont want to be the guy with $200k in a car thats a garage queen when the music stops...

Austin997.2 01-30-2018 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by promocop
Wishfull thinking ALL cars DEPRECIATE Period And the closer we get to the mission E, even more so. The world is clearly going electric...dont want to be the guy with $200k in a car thats a garage queen when the music stops...

Before the music stops (no gasoline) I'll be long gone and I'm not even 40.

Ben Z 01-30-2018 01:16 PM

The runup in air-cooled prices, the red-headded-stepchild syndrome affecting the 996 (perhaps undeserved, but nonetheless a fact), and the significant bump in MSRP and paradigm shift of the 991 all conspire to limit the depreciation of the 997. Plus, the low production numbers and 9A1 engine give the .2 an even greater shielding. Unless the 992 comes in at another huge bump in MSRP, the 991's will see the greatest hit in depreciation, so anyone wanting a 991 might be wise to wait, but I don't think it pays to do so with the 997.2. Also, in practical terms, finding just the one you want may very well take you past the intro of the 992 anway.

Hula 02-01-2018 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 14761885)
I will continue to look for the exact one I want and will pull the trigger when I find it. I want a 4 wheel drive because I will probably live in cold country in the next couple of years and I love the wider stance too. So few and far between with any 4’s or 4S’s though. They just seem to be rare. I wish I could find out how many all wheel drives they made in a 997.2.

997.2 AWD Production numbers (world-wide)

C4 - 1748
C4 Cab - 1244
C4S - 9188
C4S Cab - 7775
C4 GTS - 1321
C4 GTS Cab - 957
Targa 4 - 1046
Targa 4S - 2560
Turbo - 3301
Turbo Cab - 1752
Turbo S - 3095
Turbo S Cab - 2055

dgjks6 02-01-2018 09:02 PM

Woohoo! 1200 997.2 Carrera 4 cabs! My car is now worth $1,000, 000!

I'll take the first $50k.

doclouie 02-01-2018 09:19 PM

Thank you for all the replies. I have now realized it is going to take some time to find the car I want. I am actually not very picky with what I want so hopefully it will not be too difficult. I have the cash set aside so I won’t have to deal with financing so as soon as I find it I will pull the trigger. It just must be a 997.2 all wheel drive. A 4s or even a plain 4 will do as long as it is a stick. Beyond that I don’t really have a list of options I want that are not run of the mill. I have my daily routine of checking several apps and websites to see if my car is out there. I will of course ask for pointers when I find one. Thanks.

OWLY 02-02-2018 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Hula (Post 14771119)
997.2 AWD Production numbers (world-wide)

C4 - 1748
C4 Cab - 1244
C4S - 9188
C4S Cab - 7775
C4 GTS - 1321
C4 GTS Cab - 957
Targa 4 - 1046
Targa 4S - 2560
Turbo - 3301
Turbo Cab - 1752
Turbo S - 3095
Turbo S Cab - 2055

Thanks for sharing. It would be interesting to see the split between PDK and manual.

On a side note...local Porsche dealer recently offered me what I paid for my C4S 997.2 five years ago.

Airbag997 02-02-2018 09:28 AM

997.2 values definitely exhibiting an upward trend it appears. My local dealer doesn't even post a full ad when they get one in, because he said clean ones typically sell in a matter of hours sight unseen.

Tcc1999 02-02-2018 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 14771172)
Thank you for all the replies. I have now realized it is going to take some time to find the car I want. I am actually not very picky with what I want so hopefully it will not be too difficult. I have the cash set aside so I won’t have to deal with financing so as soon as I find it I will pull the trigger. It just must be a 997.2 all wheel drive. A 4s or even a plain 4 will do as long as it is a stick. Beyond that I don’t really have a list of options I want that are not run of the mill. I have my daily routine of checking several apps and websites to see if my car is out there. I will of course ask for pointers when I find one. Thanks.

Good luck in your search (that was not meant sarcastically). Act quickly when you find something as there were not a lot of C4 or C4S models made and, add to that only 10 to 15 percent may have been manuals (and most of these also may have been ordered by enthusiasts who could be less likely to part with their cars). The thing that you’ll notice, that I notice, is how analog the 997.2 feels compared to other cars in general and the 991 specifically - I guess that is the draw.

doclouie 02-03-2018 07:05 PM

Okay so as I continue my search I come to a question that I am not sure of what to do. I want a AWD no matter what. The 997.2 ones are 50k or more. The 997.1 are 10-15k less, but they have the possibility of bore scoring. IMS is an issue, but is fixable with pulling the tranny and doing a mod. I know you always buy the best car you can. I would die if my 997.1 had to have an engine replaced because then I would be above the 997.2 price point and that is what I really want. They are just barely out of what I want to pay. Thanks.

LISsailor 02-03-2018 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 14775299)
Okay so as I continue my search I come to a question that I am not sure of what to do. I want a AWD no matter what. The 997.2 ones are 50k or more. The 997.1 are 10-15k less, but they have the possibility of bore scoring. IMS is an issue, but is fixable with pulling the tranny and doing a mod. I know you always buy the best car you can. I would die if my 997.1 had to have an engine replaced because then I would be above the 997.2 price point and that is what I really want. They are just barely out of what I want to pay. Thanks.

You need to compromise somewhere. If you must have a .2 then you need to drop the AWD, PDK/Manaul, and/or coupe/cab requirements. If you are indifferent to all of those criteria and still cannot get a .2 you need to save a few more bucks.

FWIW, I don't see these cars getting cheaper.

doclouie 02-03-2018 07:48 PM

Sailor- I think you are right. I think I may need to drop the AWD. Market really opens then. I could never own an automatic sports car. I purchased my first car at 15. An old 924. Speed wise I see that the base 997.2 Carrera is a little faster than the old 997.1 S versions.

docdrs 02-03-2018 08:19 PM

Up here in Canada, it would cost me 5-10 more to by my 2011 C4S cab today, then when I purchased it 2 years ago in Jan 2016.

raidersfan 02-03-2018 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 14775386)
Sailor- I think you are right. I think I may need to drop the AWD. Market really opens then. I could never own an automatic sports car. I purchased my first car at 15. An old 924. Speed wise I see that the base 997.2 Carrera is a little faster than the old 997.1 S versions.

Why 4S, aside from the wider body? I agree, it looks marginally better! But it doesn't drive as well, having owned both a 2S and 4. Just when things get a little fun, the front wheels engage and pull you out of the corner: it isn't a true rear-engine, classic 911 feel. If winter traction is an issue, get snow tires and you will be fine. Plus, you save weight and complexity with the 2S.

I was a die-hard manual guy too, but PDK is something I could live with on these; I don't think you will be disappointed with a 2-pedal car. I had some time in a PDK a week back, about 80 miles, and was surprised how I didn't get bored. Granted, it was a 991, but I was impressed.

Hula 02-03-2018 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 14775386)

You can also go for higher millage 997.2 or an accident history. A PPI can verify the mechanicals or a proper repair. No time bombs to worry about. Since it's already far down on the depreciation curve racking up miles as a DD would be worry free.

doclouie 02-03-2018 08:55 PM

I do like the wider body look, but it is more about winter driving. This will be a DD and I will keep it as long as possible. I think I am going to need to look for an S instead of a 4 or 4s. I am fine with higher mileage ones, but it does not seem like there are many out there. It must be a stick though. My boys need to learn to drive a stick and I just love it anyway. I appreciate all the comments and help.

sandwedge 02-04-2018 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 14775517)
I do like the wider body look, but it is more about winter driving. This will be a DD and I will keep it as long as possible. I think I am going to need to look for an S instead of a 4 or 4s. I am fine with higher mileage ones, but it does not seem like there are many out there. It must be a stick though. My boys need to learn to drive a stick and I just love it anyway. I appreciate all the comments and help.

FWIW.....I've been in similar situations a number of times but never compromised. I would hate to spend what's considerable money to most people and then have regrets. Like sitting in traffic, next to or behind the car I REALLY wanted would make me pissed off at myself I think. Just me but I would finance the difference (which isn't huge) or just wait a bit and save up for what's missing. I hope those who say the 997.2's are done depreciating are right but I'm not so sure. My GTS has 56K miles on it now. It's my DD and I just can't imagine it'll be worth the same a year from now with another 8K miles on it.

raidersfan 02-04-2018 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by sandwedge (Post 14775944)
FWIW.....I've been in similar situations a number of times but never compromised. I would hate to spend what's considerable money to most people and then have regrets. Like sitting in traffic, next to or behind the car I REALLY wanted would make me pissed off at myself I think. Just me but I would finance the difference (which isn't huge) or just wait a bit and save up for what's missing. I hope those who say the 997.2's are done depreciating are right but I'm not so sure. My GTS has 56K miles on it now. It's my DD and I just can't imagine it'll be worth the same a year from now with another 8K miles on it.

Might be done depreciating until we hit another recession. You could buy a 993 back in 2009 for around 25-30% of today's prices. When **** hits the fan, sports cars, pleasure boats, RV's, and vacation houses are the first to get liquidated.

shekmark 02-04-2018 09:50 AM

All this talk makes me feel lucky to have found my 4S cab MT ( 50K mi), for 53K, and local no less. In did not realize they were rare. In fact I did not really want or need the and, but liked the color and features so went with it.

doclouie 02-04-2018 11:45 AM

Sand wedge, I totally get the regret things and I like you may feel it if I did pull up to that car I really wanted to buy.

I will continue to search each day. Two things that I must have is a stick and I don’t want a IMS or piston/cylinder wall scraping so that puts me in a 997.2. Hard decisions. I want to enjoy life and right now with the kids being younger I have more disposable income. Once they hit college in a few years that disposable income will all disappear and who knows if I will ever buy my 911 until I would be too old to really enjoy it. Just thinking as I type. Thanks for humoring me.

sandwedge 02-05-2018 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by shekmark (Post 14776311)
All this talk makes me feel lucky to have found my 4S cab MT ( 50K mi), for 53K, and local no less. In did not realize they were rare. In fact I did not really want or need the and, but liked the color and features so went with it.

Great buy and one of the best colors too. Love Atlas. Looks black sometimes and at other times black with a dark bluish or gunmetal streak to it.

sandwedge 02-05-2018 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 14776497)
Sand wedge, I totally get the regret things and I like you may feel it if I did pull up to that car I really wanted to buy.

I will continue to search each day. Two things that I must have is a stick and I don’t want a IMS or piston/cylinder wall scraping so that puts me in a 997.2. Hard decisions. I want to enjoy life and right now with the kids being younger I have more disposable income. Once they hit college in a few years that disposable income will all disappear and who knows if I will ever buy my 911 until I would be too old to really enjoy it. Just thinking as I type. Thanks for humoring me.

Exactly my point. I've been there and I did not want to find myself thinking back on what it would have been like to drive the car I really wanted but never bought. So I financed part of some purchases to get what I wanted and just made it work. Heck, the way some guys are talking here now you may get more than you paid for it down the road if you have to sell it. I'm sure you've worked hard like I have so nothing wrong with fulfilling a dream now and then within financial reason.

ElectricChair 02-05-2018 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by dgjks6 (Post 14771144)
Woohoo! 1200 997.2 Carrera 4 cabs! My car is now worth $1,000, 000!

I'll take the first $50k.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e61db292f3.jpg

drstenso 02-05-2018 05:19 PM

Anyone know where we might find 997.2 MT production numbers?

Cheers,

nwGTS 02-05-2018 07:03 PM

^^^^ not made public by Porsche

mrhebert 02-05-2018 07:12 PM

I found out a long time ago,1986 to be exact, that living in snow and ice country, watching your beautiful 911 get blasted by the rocks and crap they throw down for traction, will make one start thinking, we need another car$ wheel or all wheel drive. Sacrifice a beater to the snow Gods, not a 911.Try buying a 911 windshield sometime. You might drive a C4S in the winter, but you won't drive it long, I promise.

doclouie 02-05-2018 07:17 PM

Never thought about that. I currently live in Texas where we don’t get snow. I love the cold. Thanks for the thought. I appreciate it.

urbanscribe 02-05-2018 08:42 PM

Rules 1. and 2.
1. Don't under research
2. Don't over think
If you find a well documented, properly PPIed or CPOed, within budget car you enjoy driving you will get three things:
A. It will make you happy to drive it
B. You will start understanding how you would improve the model you want next, NA v. Turbo, RWD vs AWD, manual vs. PDK, 997/991.X etc
C. You will get a bid when you go to the next car

You also need to figure - importantly - if you are the type of person who can be happy with multiple solutions or will only be happy finding the exact checklist clearing car. Some people can be happy with either a 997 Turbo S or a 991 C4S dropping $90-100k, some will only be happy with the one car.

GLWP

Hula 02-05-2018 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by mrhebert (Post 14779671)
I found out a long time ago,1986 to be exact, that living in snow and ice country, watching your beautiful 911 get blasted by the rocks and crap they throw down for traction, will make one start thinking, we need another car$ wheel or all wheel drive. Sacrifice a beater to the snow Gods, not a 911.Try buying a 911 windshield sometime. You might drive a C4S in the winter, but you won't drive it long, I promise.

mrhebert speaks the truth but I'm just a fool for a 911 in the snow. My Cayenne is a much better option for hauling up and down the mountains but I'm committed to using my C4S for skiing. Or maybe I should be committed for using my C4S for skiing. I Xpel'ed the whole front of the car and it's doing its job against the gritty sand but low ground clearance is an issue when the snow gets deep. I've cracked my side skirts and lost a brake duct after two seasons but both were in severe conditions. Damage wasn't too serious and easily fixable but if you want it for winter duty you've got to be at peace with some risk. Same with guys who take the 911 to the track. After all, "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

5 inches forecasted tonight and another 3 in the morning. I might change my opinion tomorrow.

doclouie 02-05-2018 09:48 PM

I am a sucker for speed, but that is what happens when you grow up in Detroit. Had a strip car that did the quarter in a little over 9 seconds. That is fast. Looks like I will be looking for a 997.2 sport here on out. Not sure if a base will fit my fancy always knowing for a little more I could have had a faster car.

Oh oh what I would give to live back in cold country and ski the powder at Alta or Grand Targhee.

fyn 02-05-2018 10:29 PM

Edit - nevermind

raidersfan 02-05-2018 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by mrhebert (Post 14779671)

I remember a guy with a beautiful 993 C4S back when I was a kid. Jet black, skis on top every day driving up to the mountain. He probably needed a full respray after 2 years. Poor car! This is exactly why I have a 1st-gen Tacoma. Ironically, the paint is in great shape, with only a few rock chips. Must have something to do with the toxic materials in older paint.

Austin997.2 02-05-2018 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 14779680)
Never thought about that. I currently live in Texas where we don’t get snow. I love the cold. Thanks for the thought. I appreciate it.

My wife is from the Michigan, I am from Texas. She said we don’t get snow here is Texas. I said nu-uh wife yes we do. And the she said no we don’t. And then it snowed a lot and she said it does snow here....and I won:rockon: https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...6622bf504.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...cee844985.jpeg

drstenso 02-08-2018 06:32 PM

Oh lord, I am glad you made it home in one piece!

Abe Froman 02-08-2018 09:32 PM

A 996 Carrera 4 would make a nice winter beater.

doclouie 02-08-2018 10:22 PM

Well the search may be over. I had a car checked out in California yesterday and today. Now I just am going to fly out there and check it out in person. If all checks out I will drive it back to Texas. If not I will visit friends for the weekend and fly home. Wish me luck.

ATSR 02-09-2018 10:29 AM

Good luck with the car OP! Tell us how it goes.

Regarding the 997 prices, I saw this small article in the latest issue of Total 911 magazine:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ca66161e1.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...03ed9ca9a.jpeg

DC911S 02-09-2018 10:58 AM

Using the term bloated in the article...will make our 991 brothers a bit upset. Sort of like the wife or GF asking...does this dress make me look fat?

Fined 02-09-2018 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by DC911S (Post 14788713)
Using the term bloated in the article...will make our 991 brothers a bit upset. Sort of like the wife or GF asking...does this dress make me look fat?

:D its a trap!!

sandwedge 02-10-2018 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by ATSR (Post 14788651)
Good luck with the car OP! Tell us how it goes.

Regarding the 997 prices, I saw this small article in the latest issue of Total 911 magazine:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ca66161e1.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...03ed9ca9a.jpeg

Great. Thanks for posting. If enough people read it my current car may turn into an investment or at least a non depreciating asset.

ATSR 02-10-2018 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by sandwedge (Post 14790432)
Great. Thanks for posting. If enough people read it my current car may turn into an investment or at least a non depreciating asset.

I think the GTS is already at the non-depreciating level. Even my lowly .2 Carrera seems to be holding pretty strong.

urbanscribe 02-10-2018 07:44 PM

A recap of the Total 911 article on the rarest 997 (or most collectible)

Sport Classic
GT2
GT3RS4.0
Spyder

But also
Turbo S (relatively few made, say compared to the 991 numbers)
And GTS

drstenso 02-12-2018 05:23 PM

that video really made me start doing some more research, I think now we can all justify the Turbo S purchase as an investment rather than a luxury!

bstmusic 02-12-2018 05:31 PM

delete

Mr.Bourne 02-12-2018 05:37 PM

Love my 997.2 but debating selling to help finance a new 991.2 GT3 Touring. Oh the decisions!

drstenso 02-12-2018 05:57 PM

Pictures to follow I hope!

eagle1960 02-12-2018 06:01 PM

My 997.2 S for sale. See details in the Marketplace.https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a0feed0cdb.jpg

linderpat 02-12-2018 06:20 PM

Dear Jaysus eagle 1960; that thing is beautiful! What a color combination.

As to current values, I think the low mark was set today, with a .1 gen, high miles, tip car. See Bat: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...gn=2018-02-12. Fairly bought in my view. Not much further to slide from that. I think the .2's may have a bit more to go down before bottom hits, but who knows?

doclouie 02-19-2018 04:28 PM

Well I am now the owner of a 997.2 that I flew to California to pick up over the weekend. I drive it 1700 miles home to Texas. Love the car. Even ran into a Porsche track event outside Deming New Mexico. Now it is time to figure out how to care for Sloan. Yes that is her name. https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e9269d64e.jpeg

911Dreamer 02-19-2018 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by linderpat (Post 14797233)
Dear Jaysus eagle 1960; that thing is beautiful! What a color combination.

As to current values, I think the low mark was set today, with a .1 gen, high miles, tip car. See Bat: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...gn=2018-02-12. Fairly bought in my view. Not much further to slide from that. I think the .2's may have a bit more to go down before bottom hits, but who knows?

That 06 is not the norm, I was looking to get into a 996 than I started seeing the 997.1s around the low 30s, 997.2 still seem to around $40k+ Wanted the Aero kit car but Ive decided to go back to the 996.1 aero car, prices are too good to pass up for a well sorted car, especially with the engines sharing the same platform (S) not included.

Hula 02-19-2018 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 14813381)
Well I am now the owner of a 997.2 that I flew to California to pick up over the weekend. I drive it 1700 miles home to Texas. Love the car. Even ran into a Porsche track event outside Deming New Mexico. Now it is time to figure out how to care for Sloan. Yes that is her name.

She's a beauty. Sounds like fun adventure driving it home. Since this thread started with pricing, any details on Sloan?

doclouie 02-19-2018 09:40 PM

Sloan had 72,000 miles. No accident although the front end had been prayed. Tack on another grand to have her inspected and fly to California to pick her up. Love it. It checked out just like the inspection and even the dealer said. There are a couple things that came up in the inspection, but they are minor. The washer pump motor doesn't work and the rear fog lights only light on the drivers side. Relatively minor issues that I will dig into to find out.

Wayne Smith 02-19-2018 10:07 PM

Congrats on tree new ride!!!

The rear fog light is supposed to light on the driver's side only. Don't waste time on that. Most USA drivers have no idea what a rear fog is and most will figure you have electrical problems of you use it.

Some have written that the washer pump motor (or lines) plug up if non Porsche fluid is used.

Good luck, and enjoy.

Hula 02-19-2018 10:22 PM

Woo-hoo! Good deal and getting to drive it back through the American Southwest was a bonus. Wayne Smith is right, the fog light is a weird German thing. Now you get to spend your free-time learning all kinds of weird 911 things.

doclouie 02-19-2018 10:23 PM

Wayne, um I am one of those clueless Americans that had no idea what a rear fog light was and neither did I know that only the drivers side is the only one that should light. I am feeling pretty stupid about that.I do appreciate the info though.

Wayne Smith 02-19-2018 11:35 PM

The rule of thumb is that the rear fog light stays off if you can see two delineators ahead of you. Delineators are the metal posts with reflectors you see on many freeways. In England the other side lights up, since they drive on the other side of the road.

Likewise for European cars if you leave your turn signal on when you shut off the motor you will get a message that you left your parking lights on. You will also find that the turn signal light stays on ... to warn approaching cars on narrow streets that there is a car parked.

Lots of things to learn 8)

dan! 02-21-2018 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 14813381)
Well I am now the owner of a 997.2 that I flew to California to pick up over the weekend. I drive it 1700 miles home to Texas. Love the car. Even ran into a Porsche track event outside Deming New Mexico. Now it is time to figure out how to care for Sloan. Yes that is her name. https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e9269d64e.jpeg

Sloan?

Is that a Ferris Bueller reference?

doclouie 02-21-2018 01:24 AM

Absolutely. All my vehicles are named after characters from that movie. My all time favorite.

dan! 02-21-2018 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 14817431)
Absolutely. All my vehicles are named after characters from that movie. My all time favorite.

Couldn't have told you this without looking it up, but apparently, "Sloane" has an "e" at the end of it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mia_Sara
Also, that actress was married to one of Sean Connery's sons and later, one of Jim Henson's sons. Weird. Is there a dating app for that?

Now that's relevant and on topic!

doclouie 02-21-2018 09:10 AM

How embarrassing that I spelled her name wrong. LOL. I will keep it without the “e” and we can keep that little secret between You and me.