Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tooki & NAV-TV iPod connector - Lightning compatible??

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 07:35 PM
Rampage
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Tooki & NAV-TV iPod connector - Lightning compatible??

Anyone that has a Tooki & NAV-TV iPod connection in their car ever tried a 30-pin to lighting adapter, Apple of aftermarket? Successful?

My car came with it installed, but the Apple 30-pin connector is broken and also very dated ...

Looks like the cable has an RJ-45 connector on the other end, so I'm wondering if I can repair the cable and covert it to a lightning plug while I'm at it. But before I go down that path, I'm wondering if it would even work and correcting interface with the PCM.

For reference, I'm referring to the white cable on the left side of the image below.

https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT14...che-combo.html
Old 12-27-2017, 11:15 PM
Fuggit
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rampage
Anyone that has a Tooki & NAV-TV iPod connection in their car ever tried a 30-pin to lighting adapter, Apple of aftermarket? Successful?

My car came with it installed, but the Apple 30-pin connector is broken and also very dated ...

Looks like the cable has an RJ-45 connector on the other end, so I'm wondering if I can repair the cable and covert it to a lightning plug while I'm at it. But before I go down that path, I'm wondering if it would even work and correcting interface with the PCM.

For reference, I'm referring to the white cable on the left side of the image below.

https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT14...che-combo.html
I run that setup in mine, with the adapter. It works, but like the original 30-pin there's no power supplied so no charging.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:38 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

Not to be a nudge but my recommendation would be to ditch it and buy the new LaPower bluetooth audio and handsfree calling unit. Its like $140 and integrates perfectly with the PCM 2.1.

If you search for the post called LaPower Bluetooth you will see where to purchase and install instructions.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:51 AM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 105 Posts

Even if you get the same 30 pin to RJ45, you'll need an adapter to convert to lightning. So might as well try a direct route.
I think you can get a generic 'Lightning Ethernet Cable' to begin with (around $20 online, maybe cheaper if you search).
If that doesn't work, you still can try TheBruce's suggestion.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:13 AM
Rampage
Racer

Originally Posted by Fuggit
I run that setup in mine, with the adapter. It works, but like the original 30-pin there's no power supplied so no charging.
Good to hear! However, I wasn't aware it didn't charge at the same time ... I just got the car in July and the 30pin connector was broken so I couldn't test it out myself

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Not to be a nudge but my recommendation would be to ditch it and buy the new LaPower bluetooth audio and handsfree calling unit. Its like $140 and integrates perfectly with the PCM 2.1.

If you search for the post called LaPower Bluetooth you will see where to purchase and install instructions.
Thanks, that's also an option. I was inclined to keep the current system without investing too much more, but I guess now that I have everything ripped apart for painting, now is the time to think about it.

Does the LaPower system also have charging functionality? I would mainly use it for bluetooth, how's the call quality? The Tooki is quite good.

Originally Posted by shyamvenky
Even if you get the same 30 pin to RJ45, you'll need an adapter to convert to lightning. So might as well try a direct route.
I think you can get a generic 'Lightning Ethernet Cable' to begin with (around $20 online, maybe cheaper if you search).
If that doesn't work, you still can try TheBruce's suggestion.
Thanks. I did find some "console cables" after searching but they were incredibly expensive at ~$90 USD and then shipping to Canada. The pin-out for the RJ45 is pretty simple, so I was first going to attempt making my own by splicing the current cable and the apple 30-pin to lightning adapter.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:02 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

Thanks, that's also an option. I was inclined to keep the current system without investing too much more, but I guess now that I have everything ripped apart for painting, now is the time to think about it. Does the LaPower system also have charging functionality? I would mainly use it for bluetooth, how's the call quality? The Tooki is quite good.
Hi, yes it does. Its fully integrated into the PCM and activates the "TEL" menu when installed so you can use factory controls for calls, address book, skipping songs, etc. It also adds your phone name and signal strength to the PCM main screen.

Call quality is very good. I just installed the mic under the steering wheel and everyone says it sounds fine. When you get in the car the bluetooth automatically connects and starts playing where you left off. It offers all the features of the Dension units at 1/4 of the price. Its the best ROI mod I have done to my car so far. I hated the PCM 2.1 until I installed this. Now it has all the conveniences of the PCM 3 with a little vintage charm.

The only thing I learned was if you tap the power socket in the passenger footwell you need to make sure you lock your doors overnight. That circuit stays powered up until the doors are locked so anything running off that will wear the battery down. If you tap the PCM power cable that will eliminate this minor issue. I found out the hard way...

Good luck.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:05 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

30-pin-to-lightning runs what, $30? And you won't be able to charge your iphone while you drive and still won't have BT. As long as you have the dash apart anyway, I would definitely go for something more modern. I've got a Tranzit BLU-HF, I did read a thread about the La Power unit which has on-screen integration (but somewhat limited functionality compared to a touchscreen) although I recall some people had issues setting it up, and of course there's always the option of replacing the head unit.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:27 AM
Rampage
Racer

Originally Posted by Ben Z
30-pin-to-lightning runs what, $30? And you won't be able to charge your iphone while you drive and still won't have BT. As long as you have the dash apart anyway, I would definitely go for something more modern. I've got a Tranzit BLU-HF, I did read a thread about the La Power unit which has on-screen integration (but somewhat limited functionality compared to a touchscreen) although I recall some people had issues setting it up, and of course there's always the option of replacing the head unit.
Actually I have Tooki already which is BT with the full integration into the PCM. So at this point I'm just missing the charging while driving.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:38 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

When I was researching options to add BT I considered the Tooki first, as NAV-TV's national HQ is across the street from my office. They said it would only do A2DP music streaming through some, not all of the speakers. I believe it was just the front ones, but it's been a long time. Perhaps later units overcame that shortcoming. Have you tried streaming and does it come out all the speakers?
Old 12-29-2017, 07:37 PM
Rampage
Racer

Originally Posted by Ben Z
When I was researching options to add BT I considered the Tooki first, as NAV-TV's national HQ is across the street from my office. They said it would only do A2DP music streaming through some, not all of the speakers. I believe it was just the front ones, but it's been a long time. Perhaps later units overcame that shortcoming. Have you tried streaming and does it come out all the speakers?
Interesting, I didn't even know that was a feature! I'll have to try that out.

I should really find some instructions on what features / functionality I actually have haha!

Quick Reply: Tooki & NAV-TV iPod connector - Lightning compatible??