Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone try new Valentine V1?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 09:19 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I bought the new V1 hoping it was better than the one I had many years ago. It is better but still falses so much that I found it useless. Many times it was falsing hard on K band and then i'd miss a real Ka threat because of it. I ended up with a Max 360 and it is much much better.

Mike
Old 12-26-2017, 08:21 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,254 Posts

I got one (a V1) for my birthday last summer, and love it. Far superior to the Bell, and much fewer false K band reads.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:01 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,418 Likes on 860 Posts

While I own an updated V1 and am happy with it, I see no reason these systems can't all be near equal... it is just a sophisticated radio. I was going to dump V1 due to its falsing but they adapted and now they are back to having a good unit. So I ignore these arguments in general.

Valentine notes, however battery units are by their nature, inferior. Are they? Something to consider.... http://www.valentine1.com/V1Info/Cor...rDetectors.asp

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-26-2017, 07:51 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,966 Likes on 2,045 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
While I own an updated V1 and am happy with it, I see no reason these systems can't all be near equal... it is just a sophisticated radio. I was going to dump V1 due to its falsing but they adapted and now they are back to having a good unit. So I ignore these arguments in general.

Valentine notes, however battery units are by their nature, inferior. Are they? Something to consider.... http://www.valentine1.com/V1Info/Cor...rDetectors.asp

Peace
Bruce in Philly
I wouldn't use a battery powered unit. That article is very correct. If you want a plug and play easy to use and quiet detector with arrows, the Max 360 is going to be your go to. Want arrows and be able to customize your detector quite a bit and lock out false alerts with an app, the V1 is great. The new Uniden R3 is great for a quiet detector that has great range and can manually lock out false alarms.

There is a difference even among the $300-600 units, but it is a difference among whats important to you. For example, my family members might value the simplicity of the Max 360, but if you want to play around, the R3 or V1 is a solid choice.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:02 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,247 Likes on 783 Posts

I bought a Passport Max 360, but it wasn’t compatible with Mac computers for the database updates. That may have changed. I have the Passport Max II, and it works quite well. The TSR settings do a nice job of eliminating most false alerts, but not all.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:57 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Where I live in SC, the police only really use Ka band so on my older Passport 8500s I've deactivated all of the other bands and rely on Ka detection only supplemented by Waze.

NC still shoots with a pulse X band so I re-enable that when I go into NC but since that's usually highway driving, not a lot of false X alerts around.

The absolute worst false offender is the Cadillac / Chevy / GMC belies setting off full strength K band warnings about every 10 seconds when you're behind them. Other high end vehicles like Audis are using laser for something, maybe adaptive cruise control. So far the only brand of vehicle I get false Ka on are Kias.

My v1 with Junk fighter is the quietest of all my detectors.

Before disabling the bands except Ka, I was about ready to pull them from my cars.
I got pulled over in SC last spring break driving down to FL on 95S pinged with a X band. Got written up doing 75 in a 70 but was actually 88 and going faster earlier...

Traffic school followed and all is right in the world.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:56 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 259 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
I bought the new V1 hoping it was better than the one I had many years ago. It is better but still falses so much that I found it useless. Many times it was falsing hard on K band and then i'd miss a real Ka threat because of it. I ended up with a Max 360 and it is much much better.

Mike

Sell me your V1
Old 12-27-2017, 04:32 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Mike
Have you set its filters correctly? The default settings do not filter K band... Set per Valentine's instructions the number of false alarms is virtually nill.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:24 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Have you set its filters correctly? The default settings do not filter K band... Set per Valentine's instructions the number of false alarms is virtually nill.
but of course. I even set it on L logic mode which puts your k-band sensitivity much lower. The V1 never shuts up for me and the K band falsing actually overshadows true KA band kits. Now you can turn off K-band and thats really they only way to get that thing to shut up.

Dont get me wrong, the new V1 is much better than the one I had 10 years ago but it is still worthless to me bc of the many falses that make you ignore it as an actual threat detector. People are hilarious how they have had to get this thing to be quite. L logic mode kills k-band sensitivity. People taking up their OBD port to quiet the detector under a certain speed and connecting their smart phones to it etc. Setting up profiles for different driving situations. Segmenting bands. Its crazy. You can just buy a 5 year old 9500ix that has GPS and be done. The max 360 is the best of both worlds. GPS and arrows.

mike
Old 12-27-2017, 07:59 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Setting the junk-K filter on K band false alarms are rare (for me).
Old 12-27-2017, 08:08 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 97 Posts

You can just buy a 5 year old 9500ix that has GPS and be done. The max 360 is the best of both worlds. GPS and arrows.

mike
I'll second that. I understand why V1 doesn't want to incorporate GPS but the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. They use X, K, and Ka in Colorado so had to keep them all on. Stuck the Valentine in a drawer after using the 9500. I also use Waze for the heads up on speed traps. Tempted to upgrade to the 360 since I missed the arrows.

Last edited by Hula; 12-27-2017 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:24 PM
Shred
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 3-4 years old V1 with the Bluetooth module connected to Yavi1 app on my Android phone running on custom scan channels specific for SoCal. It works great!
Old 12-28-2017, 09:51 PM
too tall
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a 10 year old V1 custom installed to the shifter console and rear view mirror. Is it possible to get this updated and if anyone knows who could do this in MD/DC/VA please let me know.
FWIIW Even as it is the V1 is invaluable even in it's current form.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:36 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by too tall
I've got a 10 year old V1 custom installed to the shifter console and rear view mirror. Is it possible to get this updated and if anyone knows who could do this in MD/DC/VA please let me know.
FWIIW Even as it is the V1 is invaluable even in it's current form.
V1 upgrade will probably cost you $289 - I am trashing my V1 - too many false alerts and a call to Valentine tells me that turning off K makes you vulnerable to k-pop. I am considering the Uniden R3. (funny how a couple of very cheap brands have turned around - Uniden was a joke just like Lucky Gold Star - now known as LG)
Old 05-19-2018, 11:24 AM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still love my two Valentines. I had my old one upgraded. I don't recall it being even close to $300, but that is with checking, because I don't remember. I do admit that I , personally, have no comparison to any other brands . I have one in each car, and along with Waze , I am nearly :-) invincible !

Quick Reply: Anyone try new Valentine V1?