Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   High Mileage on 997.1 or 997.2 cars? Please post if you're 100K+ miles (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1040052-high-mileage-on-997-1-or-997-2-cars-please-post-if-youre-100k-miles.html)

alexb76 12-20-2017 05:23 AM

High Mileage on 997.1 or 997.2 cars? Please post if you're 100K+ miles

Trying to figure out who's got cars with 100K+ miles, if so, mileage, engine, and what what sort of maintenance have you had to perform... Should be fun and show how reliable/unreliable these cars maybe.

AND to find the person with the HIGHEST miles on 997 here on Rennlist... will find a crown or something for him/her as the champion! :)

UPDATE - Feb. 2020:
The current Champion seems to be gary11 at 204K miles!

If I missed another higher one, PM me, I will update this.

Originally Posted by gary11 (Post 16314490)
When are we going to call the winner then? Im on 204k now burns hardly oil only normal routine servicing at OPC from new.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...2800be50b7.jpg
snapped at key moment!

Wayne Smith 12-20-2017 01:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
2010 997.2 C4S with PDK ...

106K miles a week ago. Still running like new.

I acquired stewardship at 35K miles just over three years ago. Maintenance costs have been 13 cents a mile. See the attached chart for details.

Wayne Smith 12-20-2017 01:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Picture loaded faster than usual but with no resolution. I'll try it one more time ...

Also do this as picture direct ... angled to avoid a shadow.

Wayne Smith 12-20-2017 01:22 PM

Not impressed with the picture load. Seems a lot worse than usual. Samsung Note 5, FWIW.

jeebus31 12-20-2017 02:43 PM

The scientist in me loves the charting/data collection you do. I'm copying for my own 997 (currently at 42.6k miles daily driver)! Thanks!

ALEV8 12-20-2017 07:16 PM

111k mi here.
I’ve done the water pump and tstat, serpentine belt, all idler pulleys, new spark plugs.
Replaced any worn coolant lines.
Replaced AOS & 4 CV boots.
AWD unit oil changed, 6MT oil changed.
4 new MPSS tires.
LN spin-on filter kit added.
Cabin filter and intake filter replaced.
Everything else I’ve done has been cosmetic interior items that bugged me:
Numeric shifter and GT3 Alcantara shifter/boot.
Hexmat all weather mats
Lloyd Carrera mats
Changed all interior and license plate bulbs to leds.
Changed foglights to led units.
Changed tail lamps to led DEPO units.
Entire new suspension waiting to go in currently.

alexb76 12-20-2017 09:06 PM

Cool guys, keep it coming. I saw someone earlier posted he was at 138K, need his input. Looks pretty good to be honest based on 2 responses, mine at 40K and no major repairs apart from failed lock mechanism, front frunk struts, and horn gone.

MGuns 12-20-2017 09:36 PM

I have an 05 997.1 C2 with 158,XXX miles.
I would send a photo of the odometer but it is currently getting a bit of maintenance. Recently replaced tires, changed plugs, filters, coilpacks, belt, brake fluid, transmission fluid, and mass air meter. Currently getting a clutch, slave cylinder, and a new dual mass flywheel. While they are in there I had them install the LN IMSB solution and the rear main seal even though I had no observable leaks. Seemed like prudent insurance while the engine was exposed. Car is together and my tech is running all diagnostics and upgrading firmware and put a few miles on it in road testing today. Should have it back tomorrow or the next day, latest, after its detailed. That car has been described by two different shops as "bulletproof" and as I am a stickler for maintenance I intend to keep it that way. Only addition to the car is an XM radio receiver.

Tarek307 12-20-2017 10:19 PM

I know we should only post with under 100k, but let me interferer a bit, i'm a dealer and goto auctions and see 997's with 100k plus miles all the time and they still pull good money and seem to always be running well..these are great cars, i just sold my 2005 with 80k and bought another 2005 w 40k , on my 3rd 2005 997S now

TheBruce 12-21-2017 12:45 AM

I need to get to work. I've only got 51k miles, 10k of those are mine over the last year. Only $2.75 in repairs during that time.

@wayne - impressive! I need to put something like that together.

@ALEV8 - lots of questions: what symptoms led you to replace the coolant lines? At what miles did you replace the transmission fluid? Can you send details on the LED bulbs. I thought adding those caused a CEL.

@Mguns - amazing!! I want to see the pics when you roll 200k. First clutch? Burn any oil?

shyamvenky 12-21-2017 03:45 AM

It would be good if folks also mention year, config of their car.
2005 997 C2 6MT
I'm waiting to get back in the 997 game. My 05' 997 C2 had ~90k miles on the chassis when I sold it, engine was rebuilt at 50k after IMS failure.
Major things I had to get done were alternator cable, idler pulley + belt

Petza914 12-21-2017 11:39 AM

Wife's '05 997 C2S is knocking on the door at about 98,000 miles. We bought it at 39,000. 59,000 miles with $9,081 spent on maintenance items = $0.15 / mile
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...24e2fd084f.png

GTorTT 12-21-2017 12:06 PM

Great thread. I'd love to see similar on Ferrari's (LOL), bet very few ever make it to 100K (garage queens), and the maintenance costs would be incredible. So far my 997.2 TTS has been bulletproof, but I'm not close to 100K yet. As I never plan to sell the car, the input here is quite encouraging...

kellen 12-21-2017 01:24 PM

Im at 122k miles, bought at 106k miles 2.5 years ago for a great deal. Has been reliable since then, with only non regular maintenance being the water pump. Came with new tires, brakes, clear bra its whole life. Just about needs new rear tires and front brakes.

However it did have a new engine put in at 75k miles or so from Porsche. Have the full receipt for $30k or so. However no reason listed. Being a 2007 S I suspect bore scoring leading to chunking over IMS.

MGuns 12-21-2017 04:46 PM

@Bruce- I am happy to transmit a photo of the 200k milestone when it happens. Shouldn't be too far into the future as its my DD and I live 41 miles from my office. I'm hoping to keep her going until at least 356,911. Current oil burn rate is zero (knock on wood). I do need to make a small correction to the list of current maintenance. I stated the IMSB Solution when I should have stated Retrofit. Sorry for any confusion. While I am a new join I have known about Rennlist since about 2006 and occasionally stalked it. I certainly appreciate the dialogue generated by this forum.

alexb76 12-21-2017 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by MGuns (Post 14684381)
@Bruce- I am happy to transmit a photo of the 200k milestone when it happens. Shouldn't be too far into the future as its my DD and I live 41 miles from my office. I'm hoping to keep her going until at least 356,911. Current oil burn rate is zero (knock on wood). I do need to make a small correction to the list of current maintenance. I stated the IMSB Solution when I should have stated Retrofit. Sorry for any confusion. While I am a new join I have known about Rennlist since about 2006 and occasionally stalked it. I certainly appreciate the dialogue generated by this forum.

This is awesome! It's so cool to see ppl actually drive their Porsches instead of using them as garage queen. I just had my winter tires installed and it was awesome in the snow this week. These cars are meant to be driven, as not only they're fun to drive, they're also quite reliable!

MGuns 12-21-2017 08:48 PM

For Sure! My 06 Hummer H2 has really been the benchmark for reliability. I replaced a hub bearing and the exhaust after 2 years living in the snow but otherwise it has been a trouble free 162,xxx miles that includes towing an enclosed trailer while moving a family of 6 from NC to VA in 2014 and then from VA to LA in 2016. And yes, that Hummer does off road duty in support of my day job. Seeing as this isn't a Hummer forum; back to our regularly scheduled Porsche programing....

tomc_mets 12-21-2017 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by MGuns
I have an 05 997.1 C2 with 158,XXX miles.
I would send a photo of the odometer but it is currently getting a bit of maintenance. Recently replaced tires, changed plugs, filters, coilpacks, belt, brake fluid, transmission fluid, and mass air meter. Currently getting a clutch, slave cylinder, and a new dual mass flywheel. While they are in there I had them install the LN IMSB solution and the rear main seal even though I had no observable leaks. Seemed like prudent insurance while the engine was exposed. Car is together and my tech is running all diagnostics and upgrading firmware and put a few miles on it in road testing today. Should have it back tomorrow or the next day, latest, after its detailed. That car has been described by two different shops as "bulletproof" and as I am a stickler for maintenance I intend to keep it that way. Only addition to the car is an XM radio receiver.

Inspirational. I dub thee King of the 997 Subforum for today! :thumbup:
T

MGuns 12-21-2017 10:13 PM

Thanks brother!

cringely 12-21-2017 11:13 PM

Here's your target
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...4a767f559e.jpg

Wayne Smith 12-21-2017 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by cringely (Post 14685166)

Wow ... just wow!!!

tomc_mets 12-22-2017 09:23 AM

Details please, if you have them?
T

MGuns 12-22-2017 11:03 AM

That old school mechanical odometer with that particular score racked up on it is nothing less than awesome!

drockzcity 12-22-2017 02:28 PM

I'll play. Mine is an 06' with 126k+ on the chassis and about 38k on the motor. Original motor was swapped for brand new by dealership from previous owner due to bore scoring at 88k miles. Since purchasing the car over 2 years ago I've only replaced the springs for Eibachs to lower, new Michelin Pilot sport 4 S tires last month, and new front tie rod inners on both sides. This does't include other mods that I don't consider under the maintenance category. Car still handles great and pulls strong.

Devil Boy 12-22-2017 03:31 PM

2006 Carrera S... six-speed with 125K miles. Outside of routine maintenance and aesthetic mods, I have replaced cracked coolant reservoir, AOS, cracked front wheel fender liner, starter motor, alternator cable, and 2qt deep oil sump.

GBG 12-22-2017 05:31 PM

Just passed 100k miles. '07 997.1. Only service out of the ordinary:
- new clutch at 50k
- water pump (proactive at 65k)
- hot start cable at 80k
- trunk release
- headlight cleaning and car door dings
runs incredibly well and still very happy with her! https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...79c3e06384.jpg

-https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...53399ccb4e.jpg

cringely 12-22-2017 07:39 PM

"Here's your target"

Originally Posted by tomc_mets (Post 14685641)
Details please, if you have them?
T

Sorry, could't resist. That was my 1980 911SC. It made it to 375,000 before the #2 cylinder went soft. While I would love to put that kind of mileage on my 997.2, I now work out of state and only drive it on the weekends (only 5,000 miles this year instead of the 15,000+ a few years back). I did have the opportunity to drive an '86 Carrera for a number of weeks (while the owner was back east) and, with the exception of size and knowing exactly where the front tires were (more erect headlamps), the 997 is a far better car and I would't go back for all the tea in China. I do look forward to retirement (again) so that I can put more miles on the 997—the best daily driver yet.

MGuns 12-22-2017 10:41 PM

My car is back and the tech that worked on it (a PCA race team tech) called it a unicorn. My IMSB was still like new. I know he is telling the truth because I held it in my own hand. He walked me through the process with another engine belonging to a 996 Cab that was on the lift. Engine was out of that car for a for rebuild due to a catastrophic IMSB failure. He was amazed that I got such mileage out of it and didn't even really NEED to change it. That is great news and should be encouraging for other 997.1 owners.

The new flywheel and clutch have been immediately noticeable. I didn't realize I was working so hard with such a tough clutch. The freer revving and silky smooth and light shifting is back and my car, for lack of a better term, feels more agile. Smiled like an idiot for the whole the 60+ mile ride home.

ogun228 12-23-2017 07:24 PM

"I acquired stewardship at 35K miles just over three years ago. Maintenance costs have been 13 cents a mile. See the attached chart for details."
Please correct me if I am wrong: you do all or most of your maintenance, correct?
I cannot imagine a non-wrenching owner having this kind of maintenance cost over this amount of miles and time. I envy you unabashedly.

Wayne Smith 12-23-2017 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by ogun228 (Post 14688878)
"I acquired stewardship at 35K miles just over three years ago. Maintenance costs have been 13 cents a mile. See the attached chart for details."
Please correct me if I am wrong: you do all or most of your maintenance, correct?
I cannot imagine a non-wrenching owner having this kind of maintenance cost over this amount of miles and time. I envy you unabashedly.

Yes, mostly DIY. These cars make that easy, so long as you have a place to work on them.

You will notice the price on the first oil change, a non DIY, wherein the dealer over filled and I had to drain a quart out. FWIW, that implies the dealer used 8.5 quarts but still charged me for 10.

I went to a different dealer for the PDK oil change and over paid by $350 when they prematurely removed the entire oil pan rather than checking to see if the drain bolt could be removed (a 2009 possibility forced upon my 2010). Once removed the pan cannot be reused. They supposedly charged me their price on the pan, and then added an hour of labor.

I find myself avoiding make rights when I do the work myself. And it allows me to do things like cut open the oil filter for inspection. And I don't pay for parts I don't need.

I don't have access to tire changing or alignment equipment anymore so I pay for those.

A few weeks back after a group drive some 991 owners were talking about dealer charges for an oil change. That would definitely give one incentive to DIY!!! So much so that one DIY owner took some of us over to his car to demonstrate that you should not have to pay for rear bumper removal when your oil is changed.

With the money I've saved I'm planning on cutting out a part of my garage floor to repour with rebar and a steel fiber 6 bag mix. Then comes a two post lift. But that's after I finish the kitchen remodel.

Yes, I'm a tool junkie 8)

BTW ... It's not the money saved ... It's the enjoyment, bonding with your car, and peace of mind that matter most.

ogun228 12-24-2017 02:38 AM

Yes, I get it. The last car I worked on was my BMW 1976 2002. Nothing since then,. I can tell you that Through my ownership of 4 years, my 997 has cost me a new kitchen and a finished garage. Only unscheduled were the HPFP and 2 flats. Ayone who believes these cars are cheap to maintain properly must qualify the statement. I love mine though, wouldn't trade it for anything but a Turbo.

Comanche_699 12-27-2017 12:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Getting there... clicked to this number when I pulled into the garage tonight. I'd say it's been pretty damned reliable. Ol' Froggy has been a solid little car.

2006 C2S Cab, kind of a hot rod.

Wayne Smith 12-27-2017 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Comanche_699 (Post 14693477)
Getting there... clicked to this number when I pulled into the garage tonight. I'd say it's been pretty damned reliable. Ol' Froggy has been a solid little car.

2006 C2S Cab, kind of a hot rod.

It's tough trying to catch up to you!!!

We need to get out for an extended drive one of these days 8)

MGuns 12-28-2017 01:08 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...3f0dbab3b2.jpg

I thought it was fair to post the photographic proof of my claimed high mileage.

tomc_mets 12-28-2017 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by MGuns (Post 14696242)
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...3f0dbab3b2.jpg

I thought it was fair to post the photographic proof of my claimed high mileage.

Suh-weeet!!
T

MGuns 12-28-2017 03:00 PM

Sorry for the huge file size. I cropped it but apparently the resize didn't "take"....

Wayne Smith 12-28-2017 09:44 PM

What are the details on your car? Model. Maintenance. Etc.

Wayne Smith 12-28-2017 09:44 PM

BTW ... Impressive 8)

MGuns 12-28-2017 10:53 PM

@Wayne- I have a Black 2005 Carrera. Nothing Special except for being a Porsche. I am only the third owner. It was a short term lease bought by an old woman in Atlanta who owned it for a number of years and mostly drove it up and down 285. Maintenance was done by Jim Ellis Porsche of Atlanta and I drove away for just 22K. It was almost like finding the hemi in the barn. My maintenance is done by NolaSport here in New Orleans. One of the shop locations is actually at the track and they do GT3 cup cars in close coordination with the guys in Atlanta. I have had quite a bit of routine and preventive maintenance done to keep this car the "unicorn" the techs say it is. RMS, IMSB, DMFW, clutch, slave cylinder, coils, drive belt, and all the other stuff you find on a maintenance schedule. None of it is cheap but I got into the Porsche club rather inexpensively, albeit after 10 months of shopping for a 997. I really hadn't thought about it until now but I really don't have any photos of my car except for this one I took of both of my rides in the parking garage at work before going on a trip for insurance purposes.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...1ebdd35873.jpg

Wayne Smith 12-29-2017 03:39 AM

MGuns ... Inspiring. Keep doing what you are doing!!!

Bruce In Philly 12-29-2017 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith (Post 14689095)

BTW ... It's not the money saved ... It's the enjoyment, bonding with your car, and peace of mind that matter most.

Yes! (But I do like the money saved.....'cuz it is a bucket load of cash over time and more than pays for the tools)

2009 C2S 120K miles

Peace
Bruce in Philly

MGuns 12-29-2017 12:39 PM

I think that Bruce and Wayne are both correct in regards to the satisfaction of doing your own work and the money saved over time. Both approaches provide corollary benefits to each other. The Jeeps and Corvettes I built in my earlier years I had the time, money, and tools for. Now I have plenty of tools, some money, but no time.

hamdog 12-31-2017 07:43 PM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...873ed344af.png
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...d96e679c2.jpeg

‘06 S cab. 148,601 2nd clutch, original motor and trans, Onlins CO...original shocks shot All wheel bearings Front shock tower mounts only Inner and outer tie rods Engine mounts Front and rear sway bar end links, bushings and sleeves Air oil separator Water pump and drive belt Driver door cable and latch outside (auto window drop at open and close didn't work). Ignition switch replaced

speed_kills 01-01-2018 03:21 AM

Very nice numbers! I'm curious, how reliable has been the cab mechanism for you? Any major repairs so far? Actually, I'm more curious with a 991 Targa but concerned with long term reliability.

Had a Ferrari California in the past and despite having low mileage, I had to send it to the dealer a few times to realign the mechanism as trunk wouldn't close at times after operating the roof. I also had to get used to the roof squeaks while running the car. While Ferrari engines are very nice, built quality just doesn't compare with Porsche (or probably any other regular car brands) so it didn't last long with me.

hamdog 01-01-2018 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by speed_kills (Post 14702810)
Very nice numbers! I'm curious, how reliable has been the cab mechanism for you? Any major repairs so far? Actually, I'm more curious with a 991 Targa but concerned with long term reliability.

Had a Ferrari California in the past and despite having low mileage, I had to send it to the dealer a few times to realign the mechanism as trunk wouldn't close at times after operating the roof. I also had to get used to the roof squeaks while running the car. While Ferrari engines are very nice, built quality just doesn't compare with Porsche (or probably any other regular car brands) so it didn't last long with me.

fortunatly not a single issue with the top. As far as maintenance, everything listed above. Nothing more.

pmgoodwin 01-03-2018 06:55 PM

Love this thread, People who actually drive their cars.

C2S CAB. 114K

Car has been great for the past 5 years. I got it with 32K on it the day before I got married (easier than the day after).

Other than tires and brakes I had to have the left rear window regulator changed and I replaced the Hydraulic pistons for the top.

I just posted it for sale. I'm looking for another garage queen that is just broken in ;)

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...b7237c3d74.jpg

halperin45 01-03-2018 07:37 PM

i dont get some of these saying original motor. what car needs a new motor even with 100-200k miles?

Liste-Renn 01-11-2018 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by MGuns (Post 14697255)
@Wayne- I have a Black 2005 Carrera. Nothing Special except for being a Porsche. I am only the third owner. It was a short term lease bought by an old woman in Atlanta who owned it for a number of years and mostly drove it up and down 285. Maintenance was done by Jim Ellis Porsche of Atlanta and I drove away for just 22K. It was almost like finding the hemi in the barn. My maintenance is done by NolaSport here in New Orleans. One of the shop locations is actually at the track and they do GT3 cup cars in close coordination with the guys in Atlanta. I have had quite a bit of routine and preventive maintenance done to keep this car the "unicorn" the techs say it is. RMS, IMSB, DMFW, clutch, slave cylinder, coils, drive belt, and all the other stuff you find on a maintenance schedule. None of it is cheap but I got into the Porsche club rather inexpensively, albeit after 10 months of shopping for a 997. I really hadn't thought about it until now but I really don't have any photos of my car except for this one I took of both of my rides in the parking garage at work before going on a trip for insurance purposes.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...1ebdd35873.jpg

I have since sold this 2007 997.1 base Carerra. Just wanted you to see how cool the wheels look painted in body color black:
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...86a9c7cf56.jpg

kellen 01-11-2018 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by halperin45 (Post 14708134)
i dont get some of these saying original motor. what car needs a new motor even with 100-200k miles?

Search for IMS and bore scoring.

SoCal997_Carrera 01-14-2018 01:37 AM

Hello Alex and Members,
I just purchased this 2006 model year 997.1 Carrera 4 Coupe with Tiptronic and 125'k miles on the odometer.
So I am definitely in the "High Mileage Club"
It is blk/ blk with the 5 spoke 19'wheels, everything stock, SoCal car, only 1 owner, and a decent History on Carfax
Got it for $ 24'k, but had to spend 2'k on: new starter motor, battery cable, 1 new Remote Key and the PAS (entire Alarm Module needed to be replaced), Major Service.
Its running great, just has an annoying squirking noise from the rear passenger side wall panel - and I noticed that the passenger side wheel sticks out slightly more than the driver side after putting on spacers...

Petza914 01-14-2018 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by SoCal997_Carrera (Post 14729736)
Hello Alex and Members,
I just purchased this 2006 model year 997.1 Carrera 4 Coupe with Tiptronic and 125'k miles on the odometer.
So I am definitely in the "High Mileage Club"
It is blk/ blk with the 5 spoke 19'wheels, everything stock, SoCal car, only 1 owner, and a decent History on Carfax
Got it for $ 24'k, but had to spend 2'k on: new starter motor, battery cable, 1 new Remote Key and the PAS (entire Alarm Module needed to be replaced), Major Service.
Its running great, just has an annoying squirking noise from the rear passenger side wall panel - and I noticed that the passenger side wheel sticks out slightly more than the driver side after putting on spacers...

What a bargain for a 997. It's fairly common for 997 bodies to not be completely symmetrical and when they're not, the body is usually shifted slightly toward the left, making the passenger side wheels further out than the driver's side - nothing to worry about.

MGuns 01-14-2018 07:35 PM

Liste-Renn the black wheels look great. paint, dip, or powder coat? DIY?

Edgy01 01-15-2018 02:44 AM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...609913f2cd.jpg
I turned about 109,000 miles on or about New Years Eve. Car still running well. This has been the easiest 911 to maintain than any I have had over the decades.

And it still looks good. We're very lucky.

Wayne Smith 01-15-2018 03:38 AM

Wow Edgy01, I had no idea you were at that mileage. Your car still looks brand new!!!

wwilliams88 01-15-2018 09:02 AM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e2bd776525.jpg
Original owner of a 2009 Carrera base with PDK now just shy of 110000 miles. Still runs well. Mostly just regular maintenance performed on the car with the exception of the following:

1. Sunroof pan cracked and was leaking just shy of 50K miles. Replaced under warranty.

2. PCM died around 100K miles. Sent it to an independent shop for repair, then recoded at the dealership.

3. Bolt holding the belt tensioner to the engine block broke around 106K miles. Took it to an independent shop for repair/replacement and had a bunch of regular maintenance performed at the same time.

tomc_mets 01-15-2018 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by wwilliams88 (Post 14731652)
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e2bd776525.jpg
Original owner of a 2009 Carrera base with PDK now just shy of 110000 miles. Still runs well. Mostly just regular maintenance performed on the car with the exception of the following:

1. Sunroof pan cracked and was leaking just shy of 50K miles. Replaced under warranty.

2. PCM died around 100K miles. Sent it to an independent shop for repair, then recoded at the dealership.

3. Bolt holding the belt tensioner to the engine block broke around 106K miles. Took it to an independent shop for repair/replacement and had a bunch of regular;ar maintenance performed at the same time.

Photo on the day of delivery

Man, that is just a tasty color combo! Any pics in the bright FL sun?
T

wwilliams88 01-15-2018 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by tomc_mets (Post 14732367)
Man, that is just a tasty color combo! Any pics in the bright FL sun?
T

Here are a few more, day of delivery and a week or so later after I ditched the orange side markers

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c49431efe4.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...d6e52ccb28.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a6b9605c73.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...263d2b2451.jpg

tomc_mets 01-15-2018 07:19 PM

Ooo-wee! Those color matched interior bits are the cherry on the sundae. Gorgeous car...T

1FlossedM3 01-15-2018 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Edgy01 (Post 14731458)
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...609913f2cd.jpg
I turned about 109,000 miles on or about New Years Eve. Car still running well. This has been the easiest 911 to maintain than any I have had over the decades.

And it still looks good. We're very lucky.

Great photo, love that hard top cab.

Fbrooksr 07-30-2018 05:42 PM

This is great news!

I have a '12 997.2 Targa 4 with 62,xxx miles. It makes me feel really good to read about the miles placed on these cars by all of you. I love my car, but considered trading it on a '16 Targa 4S (991.1) with 22,xxx miles for concern for mileage. That's over! The stories read here will have me in the seat of my Targa for years to come. Thanks all!

alexb76 07-31-2018 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Fbrooksr (Post 15178390)
I have a '12 997.2 Targa 4 with 62,xxx miles. It makes me feel really good to read about the miles placed on these cars by all of you. I love my car, but considered trading it on a '16 Targa 4S (991.1) with 22,xxx miles for concern for mileage. That's over! The stories read here will have me in the seat of my Targa for years to come. Thanks all!

Keep it, 997 has proven to be one reliable platform with relatively easy maintenance and it still looks good, is fast enough and is still cool. I personally think the newer cars with more electronics, sensors, touch screen, etc... will be a lot more costly to maintain in the long run.

MGuns 01-06-2019 10:22 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ee055af613.jpg
Another 15k in the past year- and I was away for 3 months!

php 01-08-2019 03:40 PM

wow very impressive!!

ALEV8 01-08-2019 10:58 PM

118,275 on my 06 997.1 C4. I’ve done it all myself except RUF replacing clutch at 87,000 and alternator cable. No need for another car asking as my spine agrees......

Vincent713 01-08-2019 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by ALEV8 (Post 15552159)
118,275 on my 06 997.1 C4. I’ve done it all myself except RUF replacing clutch at 87,000 and alternator cable. No need for another car asking as my spine agrees......

Would love to see some photos of your C4, is it a manual or tiptronic?

groovzilla 01-09-2019 03:28 PM

Great thread! Have lots of catching up to do at 76K miles:cool:
2 of my 3 996 C4S's had close to 120K when I sold them - Still ran like new.

bella1 01-10-2019 12:29 PM

2012 C4S CAB 105,000 Miles

Sign me up for the over 100K club. I found this 2012 C4S CAB in Albany a month or so ago. Absolutely love the PDK. I had the PPI done at the dealership in Albany and it is a CPO thru January 2020 as sold to the second owner from Manhatten Motor Cars. First owner who put 95K on the car drove it to Fort Lauderdale every winter, and PPI confirmed no damage from winter driving road conditions. Receipts from 30K miles on from dealer. Took it to local detailer for full paint correction and ceramic coating on car, wheels, etc. Local Expel guy removed rock guards and replaced with Expel before paint correction. Original Paint even with no clear bra! Drive it to work every day!
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...0623cb23e8.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...02a0056d60.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a8074c2789.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...45c16b02b5.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...71f3decaa7.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...f3ca7e9111.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...1c48844806.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...81c25509bb.jpg

tomc_mets 01-10-2019 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by MGuns (Post 15546699)
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ee055af613.jpg
Another 15k in the past year- and I was away for 3 months!

Now, you're just showing off! :D
Awesome.
Passed 62K miles yesterday. This thread makes me feel like I'm neglecting my P-car!
T

MGuns 01-11-2019 12:36 PM

@ Bella- What a great find! Congratulations!

@tom_mets- these are great daily drivers. mine is definitely a road car, not a show car but thanks for noticing!

bella1 01-12-2019 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by MGuns (Post 15558360)
@ Bella- What a great find! Congratulations!

@tom_mets- these are great daily drivers. mine is definitely a road car, not a show car but thanks for noticing!

THANKS. I hope I keep mine long enough to get to 173,000 miles😀

latonnelier 01-13-2019 06:00 PM

My '06 C2S is doing well (knock on wood) at nearly 185K on the clock. So far no oil burning, but I am nervous everyday:)
I am attending the The Knowledge Gruppe's 102 class in a month as a remedy for when the time comes, almost looking forward to it (the rebuild.)
Besides regular maintenance I have replaced a few items since I got her: cables, AOS, added spin on filter, expansion tank and cap. I also have a set of shocks/struts on order and hoses to R and R on the cooling system. A 12 year old car has needs. I'll probably do all of the soft parts on the suspension in the next year or two also.
One more thing, the car is black so the front looks a bit like a teenager's face right now, but my paint guy is working on that as I type whole front end respray there. I'm happy to see there are some others out there with more than a few miles on them:)

MGuns 01-13-2019 08:54 PM

With 185k it looks like you are the new mileage king here!

Vincent713 01-13-2019 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by latonnelier (Post 15563409)
My '06 C2S is doing well (knock on wood) at nearly 185K on the clock. So far no oil burning, but I am nervous everyday:)
I am attending the The Knowledge Gruppe's 102 class in a month as a remedy for when the time comes, almost looking forward to it (the rebuild.)
Besides regular maintenance I have replaced a few items since I got her: cables, AOS, added spin on filter, expansion tank and cap. I also have a set of shocks/struts on order and hoses to R and R on the cooling system. A 12 year old car has needs. I'll probably do all of the soft parts on the suspension in the next year or two also.
One more thing, the car is black so the front looks a bit like a teenager's face right now, but my paint guy is working on that as I type whole front end respray there. I'm happy to see there are some others out there with more than a few miles on them:)

That's fantastic! Is your C2S a manual or tiptronic?

latonnelier 01-13-2019 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Vincent713 (Post 15563777)
That's fantastic! Is your C2S a manual or tiptronic?

Manual, I don't even know how to drive an automatic.

Petza914 01-13-2019 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by latonnelier (Post 15563409)

You'll love that 102 class - so informative. Enjoy!

TheBruce 01-14-2019 01:23 AM

My '06 C2S is doing well (knock on wood) at nearly 185K on the clock.
Amazing. Excited when you roll 200k. We need to have a forum celebration.

latonnelier 01-14-2019 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by TheBruce (Post 15564251)
Amazing. Excited when you roll 200k. We need to have a forum celebration.

Don't jinx me:) I'm hoping to make it there...
All I can do is drive it and keep up the maintenance...the rest is up to Hephaestus;)

latonnelier 01-14-2019 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Petza914 (Post 15563987)
You'll love that 102 class - so informative. Enjoy!

I'm excited to go, especially after the 101 class last week. That was a great experience by itself.

tomc_mets 01-14-2019 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by MGuns (Post 15563775)

The King has been dethroned, long live the new King! :)
Dang, I need to get off my duff and drive my 997.2 S more once this cold weather passes...T

latonnelier 01-14-2019 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by tomc_mets (Post 15564896)
The King has been dethroned, long live the new King! :)
Dang, I need to get off my duff and drive my 997.2 S more once this cold weather passes...T

I don't wanna be the King...too many responsibilities:D
I think I read on the 996 forum about a guy with 229K, but its a 996.

BradtheAg 01-16-2019 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by MGuns (Post 15563775)

77% of the way to the moon :)

tomc_mets 01-16-2019 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by latonnelier (Post 15566651)

But, Mel Brooks said, It's Good to King! :)
T

latonnelier 01-16-2019 06:06 PM

Nevermind

srcn 01-16-2019 09:00 PM

I'm getting there. 89.6k miles!

May be for sale soon though. I can't decide..

asonntag 02-11-2019 11:57 PM

2011 997.2 C2 PDK

This is my daily driver in Detroit, MI. I bought her 2.5 years ago with 38k miles and I just rolled 100k last week!

I’ve spent about $9k on normal maintenance over that time. 2-3 sets of tires, 2 sets of brakes, 2 sets of plugs, 6 oil changes and a belt. I just encountered my first issue outside of the regular maintenance. My passenger mirror stopped working and is clicking continuously when I unlock the car. I’m thinking it’s just the motor, an easy, inexpensive fix. Anyone else with the same or similar mirror issue?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...187702687.jpeg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...4393585d9.jpeg

Aeromat209 02-12-2019 01:49 AM

My 2009 C2 S Cab PDK with 107,000 on clock

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...033a4b2242.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...b5daba0c7a.jpg
Just bought it in Oregon and drove down to Colorado. Had most service records . On the PPI could not verify the drive belt replace or plugs or PDK clutch oil . But might have been done . Not all Indy's will show all the maintenance. I went ahead and did those to be safer driving home . What a machine just wow!!!

tomc_mets 02-12-2019 06:58 AM

^Nice job guys. Congrats.
T

Vincent713 02-12-2019 02:14 PM

[QUOTE=asonntag;15632775]
This is my daily driver in Detroit, MI. I bought her 2.5 years ago with 38k miles and I just rolled 100k last week!

I’ve spent about $9k on normal maintenance over that time. 2-3 sets of tires, 2 sets of brakes, 2 sets of plugs, 6 oil changes and a belt. I just encountered my first issue outside of the regular maintenance. My passenger mirror stopped working and is clicking continuously when I unlock the car. I’m thinking it’s just the motor, an easy, inexpensive fix. Anyone else with the same or similar mirror issue?

/QUOTE]
I know the tires are expensive but $9k for regular maintenance seems high for 2.5 years.

Flat_Six_ 02-14-2019 11:51 AM

[QUOTE=Vincent713;15633925]

Originally Posted by asonntag (Post 15632775)

/QUOTE]
I know the tires are expensive but $9k for regular maintenance seems high for 2.5 years.

Not really. That’s over 60,000 miles of driving. Tires and balancing are $1,100 x 3. Plugs $500 x 2. $100 for oil changes x 6. Brakes $1,000 x 2, more if rotors are needed. Belt - unknown. But that adds up to $7k, and could easily be another $2k for labor/parts. These aren’t Honda’s. They cost money to keep on the road. Especially as a DD in Detroit.

ttreat 02-14-2019 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by latonnelier (Post 15566651)

I don't know how many here follow Hoovies Garage but Tyler Hoover had 248,000 miles on his 996 when it succumbed to oil starvation on the track.

​https://www.autotrader.com/car-video/i-killed-my-porsche-911-248000-miles-264984

​​​​​​This must be unfathomable to all the Rennlisters that can't sleep at night thinking their engine might die the next time they turn the key.

TheBruce 02-14-2019 12:41 PM

Man I thought I was putting a lot on mine with 30k in 2yrs as a DD, but you are next level. Well done! Its a great DD.

Yea those maintenance costs seem high, but about right if you are going to a dealer. It looks like the prior owner sold before the 40k maintenance so you got whacked with 2x brakes and plugs.

I could have spent over $10k on mine car if I had taken it to a dealer. Instead I did most myself, or brought it to my indy. Maintenance has been $3-4k over 30k miles, mostly for parts, including a clutch, water pump, expansion tank, alternator cable, ignition switch and strut mounts.

As for the mirror, mine is a bit flaky too. Your clicking is possibly a bad motor ($100-200 I think) or maybe the gears came off the track and the clicking is the mirror trying to readjust back to normal mode from backup mode while at the end of the gear track. I think you can just push the mirror back into position when that happens. Do you have backup mode selected?

As for mine, the backup mode only worked a few times and then would get stuck in the down position. I could no longer adjust it from the controls and would have to push it back up. Magically it would fix itself a few days later. I stopped using backup mode and stopped worrying about it.

Flat_Six_ 02-14-2019 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by TheBruce (Post 15638723)
Man I thought I was putting a lot on mine with 30k in 2yrs as a DD, but you are next level. Well done! Its a great DD.

Yea those maintenance costs seem high, but about right if you are going to a dealer. It looks like the prior owner sold before the 40k maintenance so you got whacked with 2x brakes and plugs.

I could have spent over $10k on mine car if I had taken it to a dealer. Instead I did most myself, or brought it to my indy. Maintenance has been $3-4k over 30k miles, mostly for parts, including a clutch, water pump, expansion tank, alternator cable, ignition switch and strut mounts.

As for the mirror, mine is a bit flaky too. Your clicking is possibly a bad motor ($100-200 I think) or maybe the gears came off the track and the clicking is the mirror trying to readjust back to normal mode from backup mode while at the end of the gear track. I think you can just push the mirror back into position when that happens. Do you have backup mode selected?

As for mine, the backup mode only worked a few times and then would get stuck in the down position. I could no longer adjust it from the controls and would have to push it back up. Magically it would fix itself a few days later. I stopped using backup mode and stopped worrying about it.

Bruce - you do a great job handling most of your own repairs. I'd venture to guess you are a lot more capable than many of us. So figure if you do it yourself, you will be around $6k-7k once you turn 60k miles, assuming spark plugs + oil changes + tires + brakes are all that is needed. A nice savings. Or do you think you can keep it a lot lower than that? A lot of what you did over the last 30k miles won't need to be duplicated (such as clutch).

TheBruce 02-14-2019 02:54 PM

@Flat_Six_ I wouldn't say capable, just persistent and had awesome teachers: @Wayne Smith, @Petza914 and my local indy. Funny thing is, I didnt' know what a torque wrench was when I bought the 997. I moved to Shanghai after college so missed out on the whole car culture thing for the last 10+ years, or even having a valid license for that matter.

As for budget, thats a good question. I did a writeup on my first year costs and most of it was mods and a set of PS4s. The second year I've had more repairs, but those were the typical items for all 997.1s: water pump, expansion tank, starter cable. None of those cost me more than $150 to DIY, but a dealer would have charged $2-3k for each. The clutch was definitely the biggest expense, but even that I got a very good deal on. I also spent ~$1800 on 2 sets PS4s in the rear and 1 set in front.

Im currently at 68k mile so over the next 2 years I expect the following:

- brakes and rotors @80k (thats one of the easiest DIYs you can do and I am looking forward to putting ceramic pads on it) = ~$1k
- plugs and coils @80k = I think around $600? with the coilpacks
- brake flush @70k: $50?
- maybe a 3rd radiator: $250
- strut mounts: $250
- front and rear tires @80k: $1200
- frunk switch: $100 whenever I get around to it
- idler pulleys: I think around $200
- 6 oil changes: $600

Probably missing something but yea, I would expect around $3k over the next 30k miles. If I can avg around $1k per 10k miles I think that would be awesome.

Wayne Smith 02-14-2019 10:27 PM

TheBruce may be a bit modest. He has fearlessly tackled jobs many would avoid. He's been very hands on. And his write ups have been great (doing write ups has the added benefit of teaching the author ... it's hard to write instructions for a repair without better understanding how you did it in the process).

No doubt, DIY helps cut the cost of ownership. I feel it also augments the pride and joy of ownership as well.

Vincent713 02-14-2019 10:36 PM

^^ +1 TheBruce is not an average wrencher, his how to DIY write up is excellent and informative. Him, Petza914 and a few others on this forum are rock stars! :rockon:

Aeromat209 02-14-2019 11:37 PM

That's a Keeper Congrat's and enjoy !!!!!

Popkid 03-01-2019 07:04 PM

Bought my 997.2 C2 with 115576 miles on it in July 2018, rolled past 123456 this week :) loving every minute

MGuns 04-18-2019 09:56 PM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...2411d97bcb.jpg
Halfway to 356, 911 on the clock!

nicogri 04-19-2019 05:12 AM

200000 kilometers so 124300 miles here (C2 PDK).

Still Porsche Approved but not renewable in july 2020 (must be less than 200000 at the time of purschasing)

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...0cf31e9641.jpg

austinreed21 04-19-2019 10:32 AM

I'm at 123K.... 2005 Carrera S, 6 Speed, Sport Chrono, etc.

4.0L - Engine rebuilt around 110K, using the LN Engineering Sleeves, etc.
IMS and everything else done then too...

Just replaced the entire suspension,

as it was tired, with GT3 coilover components and new control arms, end links, etc etc.

Beyond some rock chips, the car is great! Needs nothing now!

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c01532e6ac.jpg

Para82 04-19-2019 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by pmgoodwin (Post 14708055)
Love this thread, People who actually drive their cars.

C2S CAB. 114K

Car has been great for the past 5 years. I got it with 32K on it the day before I got married (easier than the day after).

Other than tires and brakes I had to have the left rear window regulator changed and I replaced the Hydraulic pistons for the top.

I just posted it for sale. I'm looking for another garage queen that is just broken in ;)

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...b7237c3d74.jpg

What an absolute stunner. The 997 body still remains my favorite of any 911, great picture.

GTS Daddy 04-24-2019 12:52 AM

Just traded out of my 982C for this gem of a 997.1 C4S in Meteor on Black Full-Leather. PASM, OEM short throw, PSE, Bose, etc. Great build, blown front diff, I just installed new clutch system, new brakes coming and more. Here's the kicker, 150,336 miles!
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...98d7ef49eb.jpg

scadams 04-24-2019 01:35 AM

09 C2S daily driven with 105k miles and still runs like a champ.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c6f0108e0a.jpg

SoCal997_Carrera 07-07-2019 02:23 AM

Hello,
update: now I got 143'k miles on my C4 997.1 - and no major issues.
I got it since 125'k miles and besides of the starting repair cost after purchase this Carrera has been very good to me!!!
And it still turns head at this age and mileage!

gary11 09-16-2019 07:05 AM

997.2 C4S 201k
Anyone got higher yet?
G

MGuns 09-16-2019 10:07 AM

I think you're it.

MGuns 09-16-2019 10:15 AM

I'm creeping up on 188k with over 4700 miles clocked in the last 7 weeks or so. Moved to Washington from New Orleans in my 997.1. I left, with my family still in NOLA with no idea how it was all going to unfold, and prepared to write a piece on the experience. I was going to title it Vagabond Porsche and started by taking photos of my prep work and of my car all packed out. Fortunately a buddy from years back is working at DHS and let me stay at his place while my house sold and my family could move up. I did take him to Virginia International Raceway for the IMSA race on Aug 25 and the parade laps were some of the best time either of us have had in along time. It was such a bonus that Porsche placed 1-2 overall in that race.

gary11 09-16-2019 10:19 AM

1 owner full OPC history £39992 in routine lifetime servicing since 09 ! Still going strong!!

gary11 09-16-2019 10:24 AM

Thats just run in!

JQ911 09-16-2019 03:28 PM

I have 105k miles on my 997.2 base 6MT;

1. replaced HPFP twice already
2. clutch micro switch
3. coolant reservoir tank

Aside from regular oil changes and a few mods (coilovers, exhaust and wheels) that is about it. Looks like rotors and pads needs replacements

latonnelier 09-16-2019 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by gary11 (Post 16107060)
997.2 C4S 201k
Anyone got higher yet?
G

Wow, if yours is miles, then I relinquish my crown to you. I'm at 189k and moving up. Long live the king!

415CPA 09-18-2019 02:22 AM

Does anyone want to sell their high mileage 997?

Bruce In Philly 09-18-2019 09:34 AM

2009 C2S 142K miles

I think the better metric of high miles is miles per year average, or maybe usage. Hard to get exactly accurate as month of manufacture is very important, but..... 142K for 10 years = 14K miles per year.

Hmmm.... maybe a new thread on this...

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Wayne Smith 09-18-2019 11:40 AM

On Bruce's comment ... Bought used at 35K miles. Other than an infrequently driven F250 and Pam's GLA45 the 2010 C4S PDK has been my commute and trip car for 5 years and 92K miles or 19K miles per year. At 127K miles this remains the most reliable (and lowest per mile costs) of the 50 plus cars I've owned.

Ajsp7 09-18-2019 02:47 PM

2006 Carrera 70,500 miles
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e2b8d89f0.jpeg
Not quite over 100k, but in the past 7 months of ownership I have put 11k miles on her. Extremely reassuring seeing fellow p car owners drive these things like they’re meant to be! Happy driving!

Petza914 09-18-2019 03:40 PM

My wife's 05 C2S 6MT is at 107k mi or so.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...239d76d94c.jpg

gary11 11-08-2019 05:55 AM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...50243897d9.jpg
Yes I have a photo 201997 !! I am in awe of this car,total OPC history burns next to no oil no rattles or knocks interior looks 40k just routine servicing annual OPC inspection and warranty from new,only repairs replaced throttle body, though I would add the routine serving and warranty bills combine to £39,000 since new (10yrs),I love this car!

gary11 11-08-2019 06:06 AM

Ive added a photo at a key moment! Thank you

TheTorch 11-08-2019 10:13 AM

Thanks for starting this topic --- this is a refreshing thread. The bore scoring or rare major failures seem to get disproportionate ink here, day after day. I understand those that are misfortunate want to share and we all want to understand best practices, etc., but ... I can see, especially among the younger owners, a creeping fear and anxiety about rare illnesses that are antithetical to why most of us bought these amazing cars.

Looking forward to seeing all the posts here...

doclouie 11-08-2019 08:49 PM

I am at 97,000 so I will be part of the club soon enough. Mine is a daily driver so it will not take any time at all to hit 100,000.

alexb76 11-09-2019 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by TheTorch (Post 16217953)
Thanks for starting this topic --- this is a refreshing thread. The bore scoring or rare major failures seem to get disproportionate ink here, day after day. I understand those that are misfortunate want to share and we all want to understand best practices, etc., but ... I can see, especially among the younger owners, a creeping fear and anxiety about rare illnesses that are antithetical to why most of us bought these amazing cars.

Looking forward to seeing all the posts here...

No worries, 997 is actually THE MOST reliable car I've ever owned, period! It's actually the most reliable model in the Porsche range according to multiple dealers and shops I've talked to. Those major failures do happen, VERY RARELY, but are reported all over forums and they aren't even a drop in the bucket considering the number of 997s on the road. I also think some of the videos by "repair shops" for bore scoring are actually making it sound a lot worse just to drum up business.

Just maintain you car well, drive and enjoy it!

MGuns 11-09-2019 04:04 PM

Torch- Are you the same Torch who used to post prodigiously on Digital Corvettes?

TheTorch 11-09-2019 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by MGuns (Post 16220416)
Torch- Are you the same Torch who used to post prodigiously on Digital Corvettes?

Alas, that is a different Torch. I believe he is still active there, though.

Steph1 11-09-2019 07:42 PM

And if you ever want to revert that....
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...d8b6241994.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...bb35b83d3c.jpgit was a Nice older black Speedster.. ..

bheit1 11-10-2019 11:10 PM

I was on club ride three years ago with a guy who just traded in his Turbo (on a new one) with over 500k miles. He purchased it new. I believe it was 996 with that many miles - water cooled at any rate. Keep in mind his Turbo had a Mezger engine. Someone from the dealership where it was traded recently mentioned it was resold and now had over 580k miles.

Edgy01 11-12-2019 02:18 AM

Put over 3000 miles on her in Europe and then just kept driving!

Now sits at 119,056 in my garage. Thanks to PCCBs, am still on factory pads!

shyamvenky 11-22-2019 12:57 AM

Just crossed 100000 miles:)

Just crossed 100k miles on my 2005 997 C2. Of course, only some 10k are my miles in the past year. But I've done over 90k cumulatively across my previous 911s.. 😜 Need to think about service items with the impending oil change..

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...fb2d53a64.jpeg
How could I miss 997 😀
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...1b9e3364d.jpeg

Wayne Smith 11-23-2019 01:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
From earlier today ... Added another 500 miles.

Still original everything except for front upper strut mounts, one front axle boot (road fault ... chip seal damage), and front diff seals. Well ... Brakes, tires, wiper blades, & lubricants as well.

Mizman113 12-06-2019 05:02 PM

Just bought a 2009 911 cab with 111k miles. It lived in Florida us so no snow.

Originally Posted by alexb76 (Post 14680827)
Trying to figure out who's got cars with 100K+ miles, if so, mileage, engine, and what what sort of maintenance have you had to perform... Should be fun and show how reliable/unreliable these cars maybe.

AND to find the person with the HIGHEST miles on 997 here on Rennlist... will find a crown or something for him/her as the champion! :)

ju

Mizman113 12-06-2019 05:03 PM

Just bought a 2009 911 cab with 111k miles. It lived in Florida us so no snow. Ever

ju

ALEV8 12-06-2019 07:36 PM

We (C4) are coming up on 126,000mi now.

Just DIY'd passenger interior latch switch and lock actuator unit (drivers side replaced both at 95k).
I have a seeping o-ring between the power steering upper and lower reservoirs.
Serpentine belt tensioner bearing makes a chirp sometimes I dislike.
Jonesing for a CarPlay HU, some PDR and fresh tint.

Might go back to stock struts in 2020........

I have no complaints other than I wish my herniated disc would go away OR all the roads in Dallas immediately repaired. Urban 997 driving on 19s can be hellish.

Popkid 12-22-2019 09:00 PM

Just passed 130k on my 997.2 C2 this week

gary11 12-23-2019 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Popkid (Post 16306760)
Just passed 130k on my 997.2 C2 this week

aaah a low mileage example!

chamilton83 12-23-2019 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by gary11 (Post 16307186)

78K and going strong!

Popkid 12-23-2019 01:56 PM

Yes, but I'm working on that ;)
​​​​

Popkid 12-23-2019 06:32 PM

Yep, don't worry though, I'm working on it!

Vincent713 12-24-2019 02:43 AM

Would love to see a 200+ miles on here.

gary11 12-24-2019 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Vincent713 (Post 16309223)
Would love to see a 200+ miles on here.

i have posted mine a few posts back at over 200k.

TheBruce 12-26-2019 02:20 PM

Just turned 75k, with 35k of those being mine over the past ~3yrs. The car is fully dialed in. I had to do some mods this year because nothing broke. Very boring.

On my radar are driver side strut mounts (already replaced passenger side), 80k service, rotors, and brake flush.

Henrik964 12-26-2019 03:41 PM

+140 000 km. Original brake discs still. Driven like a Fiat according to the DME...

sparta 12-26-2019 07:19 PM

Hey folks.

I wanted to add my experience to the forum for everything it’s taught me.

The day before I got married, In 2015, I bought a atlas gray, tan interior, C2, with Manual transmission. MY 2007, It had 35k miles on it.

I have officially had it 50 months. In that time I have put 40k miles on it, it’s my daily driver and I love it.

In the time I have owned it. It has needed a new clutch, a new water pump, and normal maintenance.

It’s truly been an honor to drive it and makes me smile every day. I recently paid it off and am proud to have the title.

I have often felt it might be time to upgrade to something new, and then I drive it, it’s perfection to me.

So.... I did a ceramic coat, paint correction, clear side markers, and an appointment for an 80k mile inspection.

I’m taking it to 100k miles.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ff1b10e8f.jpeg

gary11 12-27-2019 08:06 AM

When are we going to call the winner then? Im on 204k now burns hardly oil only normal routine servicing at OPC from new.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...2800be50b7.jpg
snapped at key moment!

Vincent713 12-28-2019 02:20 AM

gary11 - that is super impressive! What year and model is your car? Got a photo of the exterior?

platinum997 12-28-2019 07:43 AM

Agree.. that's getting up there.

Would be nice to know how folks with the higher mileage have changed there driving habits.

Where you always a spirted driver and still are or do you know not drive it as hard ?

gary11 12-28-2019 08:52 AM

Hi mine is a 2009 997.2 C4S Atlas Grey with Black, will post a few pics its just having a set of tyres fitted at the moment! Its a joy to own it really is.

Wayne Smith 12-28-2019 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by platinum997 (Post 16316702)
Agree.. that's getting up there.

Would be nice to know how folks with the higher mileage have changed there driving habits.

Where you always a spirted driver and still are or do you know not drive it as hard ?

2010 C4S PDK 132K miles ...

I don't get sideways every day any more (especially with the all wheel drive ... My mid and front engine cars were simply a natural to drift). But I do generally approach (at least) triple digit mph each day. Absolutely baby the car until it warms up. But never afraid to attack a corner.

But yes, I don't drive nearly as fast or hard as I used to.

Maintenance and repair costs are at 14 cents a mile at this point. Truly the most reliable car I've ever owned.

Qwksnke 12-30-2019 01:33 AM

Great thread to read in its entirety after reading and responding in another thread earlier today.
Nice to see there are plenty of owners like me that daily drive and enjoy their 997s.
My 09 S is only at 67k miles now (bought at 48k miles 2 years ago) but is daily driven.
Its nice to see that if I decide to keep it, it should last like any other car I have owned

sandwedge 12-30-2019 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Qwksnke (Post 16320374)
Great thread to read in its entirety after reading and responding in another thread earlier today.
Nice to see there are plenty of owners like me that daily drive and enjoy their 997s.
My 09 S is only at 67k miles now (bought at 48k miles 2 years ago) but is daily driven.
Its nice to see that if I decide to keep it, it should last like any other car I have owned

Here's another one. At just over 64K miles now on my GTS. May be something to the old saying that "these cars want to be driven".

I know a guy in Sweden with a 2007 997 C2S with 7,000 miles on it. Seems like he's having some kind of issue every time on those rare occasions he takes it for a drive. Nothing big so far but enough for a trip to the shop more often than should be normal. Last I heard he had to replace the serpentine belt. At 7,000 miles? I've got 64,000 miles + on my current and original belt. Guess his dried out and got brittle from just sitting there in the cold year in and year out. Don't know what else could have caused it to deteriorate to the point where it had to be replaced.

RangerRick 12-31-2019 09:35 AM

One of the main reasons why I picked up another 911, was due to how great my 03 996 Targa Aero aged, I have 192,441 miles and Zero mechanical issues, all services performed via my local INDY - to date, She still drives awesome. My hope is to hold it for when I have a grandchild as a gift :-)

987.3 01-17-2020 02:07 PM

This thread is pretty amazing... I am looking for my first 911 and with a budget of 40k many 997.2 are at around 90k miles. Was wondering if this is wise, despite encouraging words many 997.1s in this thread had engine replacements or rebuilds.

Bruce In Philly 01-17-2020 03:20 PM

2009 C2S 150K miles MT

Read about it here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...2s-woohoo.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Wayne Smith 01-17-2020 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by 987.3 (Post 16360223)
This thread is pretty amazing... I am looking for my first 911 and with a budget of 40k many 997.2 are at around 90k miles. Was wondering if this is wise, despite encouraging words many 997.1s in this thread had engine replacements or rebuilds.

I know of only one 997.2 9A1 motor in North America being rebuilt although Jake may have seen another one or two. Speaking for Baz in England and warning I may be incorrect or incomplete, as I see it he feels the 9A1 failures have been cold seizure only and the motors are generally extremely reliable (especially when correctly warmed up).

IMHO Porsche got tired of failures and finally had some spare change for engineering, thanks to the SUV line, and the 9A1 and 997.2 in general received a lot of effort and perhaps even over kill on testing, endurance, and life expectancy.

With 131K miles on mine, with the exception of a "marble" rolling around occasionally in the passenger's door, it remains like new. I have replaced a front axle boot, the front diff seals, and motor mounts (just recently) along with doing basic maintenance. In other words, the car remains effectively original.

Vincent713 01-17-2020 11:42 PM

I know that the 997.2 9A1 engine carried over to the 991 but did it made it to the 992?

Chris M. 01-18-2020 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by gary11 (Post 16314490)

Mobil 1?

jeebus31 01-20-2020 09:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Right as I pulled into the garage

Attachment 1344005

gary11 02-19-2020 07:53 AM

Mobil 3000 now no issues

alexb76 02-19-2020 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by gary11 (Post 16430719)
Mobil 3000 now no issues

I added your post to top of the page as current winner with 204K miles! Congrats! :cheers:

gary11 02-19-2020 04:49 PM

Yahooo

Originally Posted by alexb76 (Post 16431886)
I added your post to top of the page as current winner with 204K miles! Congrats! :cheers:

great thanks!!

Balr14 02-20-2020 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Vincent713 (Post 16361409)
I know that the 997.2 9A1 engine carried over to the 991 but did it made it to the 992?

The motor was changed in 2017 (991.2). Displacement was reduced to 3.0 and all "NA" engines are now turbo-charged. They now use an iron wire spray method to line the cylinders. The turbo motor is still 3.8, however.

bheit1 02-26-2020 02:07 AM

Not directly meeting the OP's question but for comparison: I was on a P club outing with a guy who just traded in his 996 Turbo with over 500k miles on it. One of the techs bought it and had nearly 600k last I heard. Those Turbos had the legendary Mezger engines, but still.....

Petza914 02-26-2020 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by bheit1 (Post 16445391)
Not directly meeting the OP's question but for comparison: I was on a P club outing with a guy who just traded in his 996 Turbo with over 500k miles on it. One of the techs bought it and had nearly 600k last I heard. Those Turbos had the legendary Mezger engines, but still.....

Was the turbo silver?

scadams 02-26-2020 02:12 PM

Wow!! If mine lasts that long I’ll be stoked. My primary reference for long term reliability is from a number of Porsche mechanics I know that say in their experience of working on 911s all day long that the ones that get driven regularly tend to have the fewest issues. These cars, it would seem, generally don’t like to sit.

bheit1 02-26-2020 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Petza914 (Post 16445570)
Was the turbo silver?

I never saw the high mileage one, just heard about it. His new one was black/black.

Vincent713 02-26-2020 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by scadams (Post 16446303)
Wow!! If mine lasts that long I’ll be stoked. My primary reference for long term reliability is from a number of Porsche mechanics I know that say in their experience of working on 911s all day long that the ones that get driven regularly tend to have the fewest issues. These cars, it would seem, generally don’t like to sit.

When you say generally don't like to sit, how long do you think a typical 911 have to sit before they start breaking down? Mine is a weekend car and I try to drive it at least once or twice a week.

scadams 02-26-2020 07:33 PM

By sit I'm mainly referring to garage queens that need maintenance performed when the prescribed number of months have passed rather than being due from usage miles.

Fahrer 02-27-2020 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Vincent713 (Post 16446750)
When you say generally don't like to sit, how long do you think a typical 911 have to sit before they start breaking down? Mine is a weekend car and I try to drive it at least once or twice a week.

Driving you car once or twice per week is fine. I would simply drive it for at least an hour each time. This is what I have done with my car over a 10 year period before I was retired and never experience any issues such as leaking seals. The only repair was a water pump replacement. The car now has 34K miles.

Fahrer 02-27-2020 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by scadams (Post 16446957)
By sit I'm mainly referring to garage queens that need maintenance performed when the prescribed number of months have passed rather than being due from usage miles.

I agree except for spark plugs. Mileage should be the overriding factor. My Porsche dealer said they never have seen a problem with plugs ( or with the process of replacing them) when the car has exceeded the recommended time. I had the plugs replaced ( first time) at well beyond the time limit but at the recommended mileage and the dealer said the old plus looked great. They had no problem getting them out of the engine.

Wayne Smith 02-27-2020 02:14 PM

FWIW regarding cars sitting ...

I was traveling 28 days a month during my stewardship of one of my Lotus cars. When I would get home for a few days and had a chance to drive that car it would leak oil out of the top of the motor for a couple of days until the seals could expand. Then all was good, until the next time the car sat and the seals dried out again. I can't see any way that was good for the seals or the motor.

Now that I'm retired and not commuting 50 plus miles a day the car can sit for a week in the garage. I'm getting anxious and nervous!!!

But to this car's credit it always responds in the best of ways each time I insert the key and drive off 8)

2010 C4S PDK ... 133K miles with multiple long range trips scheduled for the near future.

Vincent713 02-27-2020 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Fahrer (Post 16447915)
Driving you car once or twice per week is fine. I would simply drive it for at least an hour each time. This is what I have done with my car over a 10 year period before I was retired and never experience any issues such as leaking seals. The only repair was a water pump replacement. The car now has 34K miles.

Thank you for your feedback, yeah I drive it for a couple of hours each time. What year is your car? 34k miles is pretty low. Mine is 2009 at 55k miles.

Fahrer 02-28-2020 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Vincent713 (Post 16449376)
Thank you for your feedback, yeah I drive it for a couple of hours each time. What year is your car? 34k miles is pretty low. Mine is 2009 at 55k miles.

It's a 2008 C2S. I have read numerous posts that state if you do not drive your car often it will start to develop leaks. Depending on the weather conditions in the winter, my car has been driven in winter ( good weather, no snow or salt) a few times ( 2-4 times) or the car sat for months without being driven ( lots of snow and salt). The car has always rune perfectly and without any fluid leaks. Oil leaks are generally the result of poorly designed seals, worn out seals or a poor choice of seal material ( rubber type). We know that Porsche had to switch to a different seal design for the RMS some time ago due to leaks.

Petza914 02-28-2020 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Fahrer (Post 16449902)
We know that Porsche had to switch to a different seal design for the RMS some time ago due to leaks.

And that redesigned seal has multiple sealing ribs on the edges instead of a single one so harder for oil to leak past what effectively becomes multiple sealing rings.

Vincent713 02-28-2020 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Petza914 (Post 16449906)
And that redesigned seal has multiple sealing ribs on the edges instead of a single one so harder for oil to leak past what effectively becomes multiple sealing rings.

Do you happen to know what year Porsche change to this redesign seal with multiple sealing ribs?

Petza914 02-28-2020 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Vincent713 (Post 16451133)
Do you happen to know what year Porsche change to this redesign seal with multiple sealing ribs?

I don't, but think it was done as a retro-design after 997.1 production had ended, so after 2008. I don't know if the 997.2 uses the same RMS or not. So, I don't think any 997.1 cars have the multi rib RMS as original fitment.

Bruce In Philly 02-29-2020 11:19 AM

That RMS design had evolved since the watercooled engine in '97. Back then, if the RMS was leaking, they had a policy to check the ovality of the hole... if it was out, you got a new engine. If they fixed it twice and it leaked for the third time, you got a new engine. RMS issues and its design have a pretty grim history since '97.

Those engines leaked and dripped so much, the "joke" back then was something like "it's just marking its territory." Yea, funny. My two Boxster S engines didn't leak so much as they drooled. I did find that running heavier oil mitigated the issue. I always kept a sheet of cardboard under that car.

[corrected IMS to RMS]... I meant RMS]

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Fahrer 02-29-2020 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly (Post 16452048)
That IMS design had evolved since the watercooled engine in '97. Back then, if the IMS was leaking, they had a policy to check the ovality of the hole... if it was out, you got a new engine. If they fixed it twice and it leaked for the third time, you got a new engine. IMS issues and its design have a pretty grim history since '97.

Those engines leaked and dripped so much, the "joke" back then was something like "it's just marking its territory." Yea, funny. My two Boxster S engines didn't leak so much as they drooled. I did find that running heavier oil mitigated the issue. I always kept a sheet of cardboard under that car.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

I think you are getting RMS and IMS mixed up.

Bruce In Philly 02-29-2020 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Fahrer (Post 16452290)
I think you are getting RMS and IMS mixed up.

Oops, I corrected my post. I am referring to the rear main seal, not the IMS..... I haven't posted about the RMS for a long time... IMS is the trigger finger... sorry.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

doclouie 02-29-2020 07:43 PM

2009 997.2 base. Just in my way to Dallas for cars and Coffee this morning I joined the club. Motul 5w-40 every 5,000 miles. 15,000 miles a year is pretty average for me as it is a daily driver.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...1b1446818.jpeg

Martin Arias 03-02-2020 04:29 PM

Hello there. I was part of the 930 forum years ago. I rarely post here but my fabulous 997.2 C4s is almost at 170,000 miles. Original engine. I drive it all year round in Philly and to the Jersey Shore on weekends. This thing is more reliable than my old 1989 Honda prelude. And yes, I still have the original water pump running. It is a properly driven and maintained 911. Changed the clutch at 150,000, shocks replaced at 120000. coils at 90k. I think my AOS is next. And, yes, I had my front axles refurbished at 120k. Great car. I just can't get myself to trade it in because it keeps on going. However, the Corvette C8 is quite tempting.

Wayne Smith 03-02-2020 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Martin Arias (Post 16456397)
Hello there. I was part of the 930 forum years ago. I rarely post here but my fabulous 997.2 C4s is almost at 170,000 miles. Original engine. I drive it all year round in Philly and to the Jersey Shore on weekends. This thing is more reliable than my old 1989 Honda prelude. And yes, I still have the original water pump running. It is a properly driven and maintained 911. Changed the clutch at 150,000, shocks replaced at 120000. coils at 90k. I think my AOS is next. And, yes, I had my front axles refurbished at 120k. Great car. I just can't get myself to trade it in because it keeps on going. However, the Corvette C8 is quite tempting.

Well done and inspiring. I'll admit to some psychological impact as I crossed 100K miles but now at 134K miles I'm back to being amazed and impressed every time I get out for another drive. We are a fortunate bunch!!!

alexb76 03-03-2020 04:12 AM

awesome. Congrats. It’s so cool to see so many actually use their cars. I think you’re the second highest mileage I’ve seen here. Keep it up. Oh, and Corvette C8 absolutely looks like an amazing option. Newer 911s have become more of a luxury GT car for the rich and ppl with new money And not so much for petrol heads anymore. I seriously have lost interest in the latest and greatest 911s. They’re too big, heavy, not easy to work on anymore, way too much luxury and waaaayy too expensive for an enthusiast.

Dr.H 04-19-2020 12:50 PM

http://www.amusainc.com/vehicle-deta...826d1ceced4811

2009 base with 176k for sale.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...42196b8c1.jpeg

groovzilla 04-19-2020 01:13 PM

^^That sale will be interesting
Hard to imagine a Base PDK w/176K selling for anything more than $19K

Climarepair.com 04-19-2020 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by groovzilla (Post 16560404)
^^That sale will be interesting
Hard to imagine a Base PDK w/176K selling for anything more than $19K

In Europe that would sell for around 32,000€ ($34,000)

Edgy01 04-25-2020 01:16 AM

I finally hit 120,000 miles the other day. (I’ve been slowing down). The other good story—I’m still on (PCCBs) factory installed pads.

DanielW 05-23-2020 12:48 AM

Seems like I see alot of people replace the motor mounts after ~70K miles or so. I replace mine recently. Good point about the water pump, I need to do that.

Wayne Smith 05-23-2020 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by DanielW (Post 16648889)
Seems like I see alot of people replace the motor mounts after ~70K miles or so. I replace mine recently. Good point about the water pump, I need to do that.

Don't know if you have a 997.1 or a 997.2. If the 2 then I wouldn't worry about the water pump.

Ironman88 05-23-2020 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith (Post 16649120)
Don't know if you have a 997.1 or a 997.2. If the 2 then I wouldn't worry about the water pump.

Sorry to side-step the main topic of the thread - but I'm curious to get any additional info on the 997.2 water pump not being of similar concern to the 997.1.
Reason being - the Indy that I have spoken with was pushing a pre-emptive water pump replacement for my 997.2 (currently has 27k miles.) He also suggested to have
it replaced every 4 years... (I'm thinking that may possibly apply to a 997.1 based on what is being said here...)

Thanks.

DanielW 05-23-2020 12:49 PM

I have a 997.1....so it sounds like I better get the new water pump before mine dies......

Vince Vincent 05-23-2020 01:12 PM

Wow, Im over here slighly freaking out about my car hitting 98k on my 997.1 S, as of now, things on my list:
Clutch
Starter while upgrading the plenum/throttle body
Suspension upgrade
Brake pad/rotor swap

Recently did:
Plugs/coils
Full service
Serpentine belt
Cabin and Air Filter
Cleaned out front bumper/radiators
Cleaned battery/cables/pin

Anyone have any advice for a 997.1 S (manual) hitting its 99k range?

Wayne Smith 05-23-2020 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ironman88 (Post 16649649)
Sorry to side-step the main topic of the thread - but I'm curious to get any additional info on the 997.2 water pump not being of similar concern to the 997.1.
Reason being - the Indy that I have spoken with was pushing a pre-emptive water pump replacement for my 997.2 (currently has 27k miles.) He also suggested to have
it replaced every 4 years... (I'm thinking that may possibly apply to a 997.1 based on what is being said here...)

Thanks.

While a few have replaced the 9A1 water pumps pre-emptively I can't remember anyone actually having a pump fail. The M9X water pump was different and that may be what is concerning your Indie.

Same for the AOS and other parts. There was a lot of testing and design that went into the 997.2.

Para82 05-23-2020 03:24 PM

101,560 miles (The original motor actually grenaded at 98,041 miles last year) I have it back from LN Engineering they did a 4.0 build.

Also have 101,560 miles on original PCCB pads from factory they've been just fantastic over the last 12 years.

-2005 997S Launch Edition

Bruce In Philly 05-23-2020 04:21 PM

2009 C2S 155K miles

Your indy is either ripping you off or very misinformed... the 997.2 has a very different pump design... heck, many of the components on these .2 engines are very different... and more robust given the lack of failures and or tow trucks.

This thread has a pic of the .1 and .2 pumps..... very different designs....

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...er-pump-2.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly

alexb76 05-23-2020 04:31 PM

My 2007 997.1 is very low milage, I am at about 32K miles. What do you guys recommend to do preemptively? The one thing I've done is serpentine belt, as it was cheap and basically dangerous if it fails. Everything else so far, just regular maintenance, filters, battery, fluids, brake, etc... I haven't done plugs, coils, or anything else.

Fahrer 05-23-2020 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by alexb76 (Post 16650143)
My 2007 997.1 is very low milage, I am at about 32K miles. What do you guys recommend to do preemptively? The one thing I've done is serpentine belt, as it was cheap and basically dangerous if it fails. Everything else so far, just regular maintenance, filters, battery, fluids, brake, etc... I haven't done plugs, coils, or anything else.

My 2008 has about 34K miles. I changed the plugs at about 28K miles and the dealer tech said they had not problem getting them out and that they were in good shape. The only repair I have had done so far was the replacement of a failed water pump and new belt at 24K miles. Some say to replace teh water pump every 40-50K miles. I have the oil changed every year and the brake fluid changed every two years. I replaced the cabin filter and the engine air filter myself. Battery seems to get weak every 4 yrs. No new coils yet.

Ironman88 05-23-2020 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly (Post 16650116)
2009 C2S 155K miles

Your indy is either ripping you off or very misinformed... the 997.2 has a very different pump design... heck, many of the components on these .2 engines are very different... and more robust given the lack of failures and or tow trucks.

This thread has a pic of the .1 and .2 pumps..... very different designs....

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...er-pump-2.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly

While trying to rip me off is certainly a possibility, I think he was probably not clear on the model year of my 911 (our conversation was on the phone) - although ... he never asked me what year it was... So you may be right.

That weasel.

Martin Arias 05-26-2020 05:23 PM

I still have the original water pump. 171k miles. 2010 C4S. No need to change it.

Wayne Smith 05-26-2020 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Martin Arias (Post 16657067)
I still have the original water pump. 171k miles. 2010 C4S. No need to change it.

I'm at 134K and am almost completely on original parts. Just curious what you've replaced under your stewardship.

Martin Arias 05-27-2020 02:29 PM

Replaced shocks at 120k
Clutch around 130k
Coils around 100k
Had front axles refurbished and reinstalled at 110k
AOS and brittle hose lines at 168K
MAS at 130k
Sun Roof stopped working around 120k (probably easy fix but I don't feel like dealing with it)
Battery around 120k
Belt tensioner 130k
So yes, these are the big things you need to deal with after 100k miles. But basically, my car should last to at least 250k no sweat. And I don't baby it. I had a 930 turbo I daily drove for many miles too. You just have to maintain these things and they will outlast you.

alexb76 05-27-2020 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Martin Arias (Post 16659356)
Replaced shocks at 120k
Clutch around 130k
Coils around 100k
Had front axles refurbished and reinstalled at 110k
AOS and brittle hose lines at 168K
MAS at 130k
Sun Roof stopped working around 120k (probably easy fix but I don't feel like dealing with it)
Battery around 120k
Belt tensioner 130k
So yes, these are the big things you need to deal with after 100k miles. But basically, my car should last to at least 250k no sweat. And I don't baby it. I had a 930 turbo I daily drove for many miles too. You just have to maintain these things and they will outlast you.

What year and model is yours?

PS. Never mind, scrolled and found 2010 C4S!

misterdega 03-22-2022 11:02 PM

Reviving this thread.

my 2007 just hit 109k

any updates on the early posters that are likely beyond 200k?

Petza914 03-22-2022 11:40 PM

Friend of mine has 473k miles on his 40th anniversary 996 !

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c875ab8ae6.jpg

misterdega 03-23-2022 12:25 AM

wow! That’s incredible. Do you know if that is the original engine? Even still. Amazing.

Originally Posted by Petza914 (Post 18045324)
Friend of mine has 473k miles on his 40th anniversary 996 !

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c875ab8ae6.jpg

Vincent713 03-23-2022 01:14 AM

The 473k mile 996 has a check engine light on? Yes still impressive!

groovzilla 03-23-2022 03:44 AM

2006 C4 --->106,700 miles
New Coils. Water Pump, Thermostat, Spark Plugs done at 104K

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...90cc33c870.jpg

:cool:

Popkid 03-23-2022 06:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow, 473k is going some! Just hit 140k (miles) on my 997.2 a couple of weeks back

Petza914 03-23-2022 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Vincent713 (Post 18045435)
The 473k mile 996 has a check engine light on? Yes still impressive!

Probably because the car can't believe it either and wants the owner to make sure it's still an M96 engine back there LOL.

Petza914 03-23-2022 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by misterdega (Post 18045380)
wow! That’s incredible. Do you know if that is the original engine? Even still. Amazing.

Yes, I believe it is.

MGuns 03-23-2022 10:56 AM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...394d877a9.jpeg
As she sits in the garage right now.

ejabour 03-23-2022 11:13 AM

I'm at 131k. I have had it for the last 40K. The only thing I have had to do was the AOS and that was because of a coolant leak. It has been amazingly reliable.

I am about to do clutch, flywheel, rms and IMS solution.

997Pilot 03-23-2022 02:47 PM

I’m almost there 90k plus on mine and almost 10 years ownership without any major issues

groovzilla 03-23-2022 03:07 PM

If cared for and serviced properly these 996 & 997's can look excellent cosmetically and feel tight as new on the road.

:thumbup:

Jack667 03-24-2022 10:54 PM

my 06C2S 6MT has 113k on it. I bought it with 12k miles in 2010, CPO. I've been lucky on repairs - only needed a water pump. I added some things - tons of mods - such as a mechanical LSD and swapped thee clutch while they were in there. I'm not too good at keeping records - trying to be better... Change the oild every 5k, but sometimes it's almost 10k miles. Always use Motul Excess. Changed plugs 2x. Changed out to Wevo engine mounts and then back to new stock. Had 3rd radiator and deep sump oil pan added. Did the FF tranny mount add-on thing, Have Bilstein damptronics since just after I bought it and I have the DSSC Sport as well. Also, RSS sways, drop links, Rear dog bones and toe kit. I change engine and cabin filters when I do oil changes - using Mann ones from Amazon. Have the spin-on oil filter thing and use the napa gold filters. Have the numeric shifter, LED running lights and tails - did the mod for always on front led's. Use Hankook tires Ventus V12 Evo tires - they're great IMO... After-market high end deck and sound, batteries regularly from Autozone. Has fabspeed headers, TopGear cats, Dfisters mufflers, and got codes - changed O2 sensors - still codes - then added cheap cat/O2 extenders from Amazon and now it's all good. Had some clunking in rear suspension and changed rear upper shock mounts, rear sway bushings - Added 5 more pounds of air to rear tires to get up closer to door jamb label settings - seems to be better now. Car is quite low and has GT3 OEM front and rear bumpers, better bodies side skirts, and custom routed center exhaust. OZ Wheels.
Car has seen some quality track time at road atlanta and atlanta motorsports park, running well in the instructor group. Racking my brain here... I had the windshield replaced once or twice. I swapped the steering wheel to an OEM sport one. Home-made hacky DIY mods are a sun visor extender and a soft lip (EZ Lip Pro) for the front bumper. I touch up the black wheels an paint with a sharpie... I do my own brakes, pads and rotors. Have gyro discs in the front. Use OEM-ish tektar pads for street and Sabro slotted rotors for the rear. Pagid Yellow (fr) and Black (rear) for track. OZ Allegerita 18s with Nitto NT01s on track - use them to drive to/from since I sold the trailer. Need to get back out here again...

EDIT: I just got the dipped beam message for the right headlight. I removed and replaced the headlight, and still getting the message, and the light turns off after about a minute of being on. I ordered in two new bulbs (PHILIPS Xenon X-TremeVision Gen2), some spray contact cleaner and dielectric grease and I'm hoping to get it sorted out this week. I think I installed bulbs previously but not certain

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...1fd8d4136.jpeg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...b941952bf.jpeg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...9f64942229.png

gary11 03-28-2022 08:56 AM

NOW 213K

UPDATE - Feb. 2020:
The current Champion seems to be gary11 at 204K miles!

If I missed another higher one, PM me, I will update this.

Now up to 213k no further expenses other than 1 variocam actuator solenoid and centre heatshield (pig to fit) oh and 2 tyres and yet another pair of front discs!

9INE97 03-29-2022 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by gary11 (Post 18054890)
Now up to 213k no further expenses other than 1 variocam actuator solenoid and centre heatshield (pig to fit) oh and 2 tyres and yet another pair of front discs!

:cheers:

Edgy01 04-03-2022 02:42 AM

I’m not keeping up! I have 8 cars to chose from so it is very hard to rack up the miles like I used to. It’s still a blast to drive. Maintenance has been relatively simple—a premature clutch failure (due probably to a failed hydraulic clutch assist) and am in my third water pump. (I never had a water pump failure on any other Porsche I’ve owned—all air cooled!). Am still on factory brake pads at about 126,000. (PCCBs).

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...4b13b579d.jpeg

TerrestrialFlyte 07-13-2022 07:46 PM

Saw this today, thought it was interesting:

https://apple.news/Agkw6c8rGRziK1Eynn-EZTA

andino 07-13-2022 08:34 PM

I posted that black 300k mile car for sale in another thread. Limited info on what rebuild motor they went with but seems like a pretty nicely optioned car. Miles will be the biggest hurdle for most at the price but could be a good entry for the right buyer.

Vincent713 07-13-2022 08:37 PM

The fact that the black 300k mile 997 had an engine out rebuild kinda broke my heart. Assumed it was unmolested with the 300k mile.

TerrestrialFlyte 07-13-2022 10:06 PM

This 07 Carrera S went for $35,750 with 1/3 of the mileage on BaT yesterday. Obviously there could be unknown/undisclosed issues with either, but all things being equal, I’d pay $6K more for 200K less miles.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...era-s-coupe-6/

griebs 02-04-2023 03:15 PM

163K and kounting

'07 Targa 4. No rebuild. Unfortunately past FSI eligibility, but no issues as a daily driver and 8+ trips/year between Tahoe and Southern California. 395 is a brutal but beautiful stretch-- it needs more non-Macans!
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...72ba9dc658.jpg

groovzilla 02-04-2023 03:52 PM

We will soon hit the timeline where I was at with my 996 C4S ownership, where my 996's had 115K-120K miles when I owned them. And many for sale were 100K miles+
My cars always looked/drove close to new and were well cared for/garaged.
I've always been an advocate for higher mileage Porsche's.

groovzilla 02-04-2023 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by TerrestrialFlyte (Post 18247800)
This 07 Carrera S went for $35,750 with 1/3 of the mileage on BaT yesterday. Obviously there could be unknown/undisclosed issues with either, but all things being equal, I’d pay $6K more for 200K less miles.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...era-s-coupe-6/

That car had 2 accidents and horrible paint. Obviously winning bid reflects this.

tegraphile 02-06-2023 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by TerrestrialFlyte (Post 18247569)
Saw this today, thought it was interesting:

https://apple.news/Agkw6c8rGRziK1Eynn-EZTA

Driving a Polestar 2 to pick up a 997.1 Carrera. Funny, that's my current setup.

Antonio 02-07-2023 12:41 AM

Joined the club!

Just rolled over 100k! 2005 C2 with coil overs, upgraded brakes and a few other goodies. Not a garage queen. Original engine with LN Engineering IMS bearing at 78K. It does not use a drop of oil between changes. Blackstone reports have been excellent so far. Totally reliable. The key is to stay on top of preventive maintenance and regular exercise. Not a difficult car to work on.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...09088e7d94.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e5a01835e7.jpg

groovzilla 02-07-2023 08:20 PM

^^Lookin Good!! :thumbup:
Nice garage/property - Westchester Ny??

Antonio 02-07-2023 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by groovzilla (Post 18618158)
^^Lookin Good!! :thumbup:
Nice garage/property - Westchester Ny??

Thank you! Southern Columbia County. About 1 hour north of Westchester.

groovzilla 02-08-2023 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Antonio (Post 18618181)
Thank you! Southern Columbia County. About 1 hour north of Westchester.

I was born in NYC/Bronx and raised in Westchester. My Italian Grandfather was friends with Tom Carvel and built most of the early 1950's-1960's self standing stores.
We owned Store #59 in Westchester/Cortland.since 1952. Is now demo'd and property for sale.

All the best!

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...9b4c4c0571.jpg

Optionman1 02-08-2023 02:16 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...2ed0339c3.jpeg
997.2 4s sitting on 104,250 miles of which I’ve contributed 24,250. 63k on the 996.2.

Bwoy1981 02-08-2023 03:37 PM

2005 997.1 Base manual
110k on the clock. Bought her with 70k back in 2017.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...213aa68cef.jpg

krazykarl 05-05-2023 07:09 PM

Hit 100k on the way home from work today, though only ~4k are under my ownership.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...7a372e8868.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...3af73c3374.jpg

Antonio 05-05-2023 10:33 PM

Congrats!! Love the color.

HermosaEd 10-18-2023 06:55 PM

2006 997.1 C2S triptronic, it had just under 100k miles when I got it a few years ago.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...1282341a16.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...9db9555420.jpg

voidopolis 10-19-2023 01:14 AM

pic before i flipped over to 100k. Currently sitting around 105k. 09 997.2 C2S. Had it for 3 years - started out at 83k miles. and yes, I didn't reset my trip to match... :P

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...f0a995a58b.jpg

Popkid 11-04-2023 10:56 PM

Update

Nearing 153k now on my 997.2 base 3.6 (early one, from September 08) will pass 153k next weekend on a drive to Scotland and back. Had the crank end accessory belt pulley explode on me at around 147500 earlier this year and had to have it trailered (no power steering or engine cooling!) But fortunately there was no collateral damage beyond that. Maintenance wise, apart from regular servicing, I keep it topped up with mobil 3000 (has always used a fair bit, had it for 5 years, and 40k miles in my ownership), had front coffin arms replaced earlier this year and it is booked in for new rear diagonal arms the week after next. Pauly

azmousss 04-20-2024 06:41 AM

207k km / 205k km

manual
carrera
127K miles
Switzerland

spessx 04-20-2024 11:13 AM

Just past this by a bit now. I did a lot of maintenance stuff right when I got it and added an IMS Solution. I’ve got other cars but this has turned into my daily and I love it.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...fb98895df.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...9e1033f36.jpeg

groovzilla 04-20-2024 01:41 PM

I think most members on this thread will agree that if you are purchasing a 997, do your due diligence performing PPI & Bore Scope Inspection thru spark plug holes, and car has been well maintained and serviced/garaged, these cars feel & drive close to new.
At 107,400 miles my 997 C4 is extremely tight & quiet. Looks amazing as well.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...15f5cd8834.jpg

azmousss 04-21-2024 03:01 AM

Reply to pop kid

I had this exact same thing happen some weeks ago
Had the crank end accessory belt pulley explode on me at around 147500 earlier this year and had to have it trailered (no power steering or engine cooling!)”

they replaced the belt and pulleys however I was dissapointed as I had a big service some months ago and would have thought they would have checked the belt? Luckily no further or collateral damage was caused . Now all is back working wonderfully

groovzilla 04-21-2024 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by azmousss (Post 19397415)
I had this exact same thing happen some weeks ago
Had the crank end accessory belt pulley explode on me at around 147500 earlier this year and had to have it trailered (no power steering or engine cooling!)”

they replaced the belt and pulleys however I was dissapointed as I had a big service some months ago and would have thought they would have checked the belt? Luckily no further or collateral damage was caused . Now all is back working wonderfully

Always important to change out Idler Pulleys and belt at minimum every 60-70K miles