Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY service? Porsche Dealer? Good Quality Independent?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 02:07 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm game to tackle anything that doesn't require a hoist, specialized equipment, heavy lifting or a second pair of hands. I've got ramps, tools including air tools, and been turning wrenches since I was 14. I've done ground-up restos on a couple cars.

For all else I either use an indy, or as a last resort, dealer. Their labor rate is higher than an indy, but the killer is their parts markup. I'm sure the service writer would assure me only their top tech will touch my car, however since I'm not back there in the shop there's no way I could oversee that. At least with an indy I know who's working on the car...IF it's a small shop where the owner is hands-on. Some indies in my area are run like the dealer shop...owner sits at a desk, employees do the actual work.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:57 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Indy in almost all cases where I do not or cannot do the work myself. The dealer overhead structure is cost prohibitive. find an indy with a previous dealer shop background, and is/was a certified Porsche tech.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:44 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 51 Posts

Don't be scared of not trusting your DIY skills. After I got my Cayenne, I started doing small stuff like oil changes, air filter changes, etc. Thanks to people on these forums, Pelican Parts Tech Articles, Renntech.org, 6 Speed Online, a durametric, an icarscan tool, a quick jack lift, and a handy subscription to alldatadiy.com, I'm comfortable doing much more. I changed diff and transfer case fluid, brakes, brake flush, bumper removal on my Carrera, and so much more! But I love getting in there and learning how to do it, so it's been a lot of fun for me and allows me to share my love of cars with my 2 boys. When I cant do something, I take it to my Indy, and they have done a great job. The dealer is hit or miss. Just when I think they do a good job at something, they screw up bad.

About 1000 miles after I took my cayenne for routine service, I decided to change the txfr case and diff fluids. The cayenne has an plastic underside protector just like their other Porsche siblings. When I removed it, there was oil everywhere. It was not a new leak. Needless to say, I took it to the indy and they diagnosed and upper AND lower engine main seal leak. Cost was covered by xtended warranty, but they fixed it. I wonder what the tech at the dealer was thinking about the leak when HE saw it. I called my SA to explain the fact that I wasn't happy and his answer to me was to bring it back in and they would give me a loaner.

So I guess, it just matters where you live, how reputable the dealers are, the quality of indy mechanics in your area, etc. Ask around and if you can find a true enthusiast like yourself and they trust a certain shop to take care of their baby, go with the word of mouth!!! Usually one to 4 shops will repeatedly come up. Good luck@!
Old 12-02-2017, 10:47 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 139 Posts

Dealers in DC region will give you a 10 percent discount if you are a PCA member and some will give discounts if your mileage is over 50k. Lots of people like me live in condos or apartments in the city and we can’t do our own wrenching in the garage. No fluids or taking things apart. Wax and clean is about it. When I retire in two years I’ll move to the deep Northwoods of Mn and I’ll have to do it all. Closest dealer will be five hours away and no Indy shops either. I’ll get a lift and have at it. But for now it’s dealer service.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:39 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal RJ
East of Riverside in Beaumont, 92223. RJ
Probably a little too far....my Indy is in Canoga Park.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:12 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

I do a mixture of all 3. Oil changes and the like.. I DIY. Critical services (or things that will be better for future resale) like PDK fluid change.. dealer. Hardware upgrades like coilover suspension.. Indy shop.

Quick Reply: DIY service? Porsche Dealer? Good Quality Independent?