Sponsored by:

Your Experience With Discount Tire Direct

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 08:54 AM
jrthe1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your Experience With Discount Tire Direct

I will need to replace tires soon on the 911 and I have used Discount Tire with success on my 5 series and the wife's X3. Have always used the Porsche dealer in the past for the P car.

My local Discount Tire Direct is new and seems to have state-of-the-art equipment. Please share your good or bad experiences using Discount Tire for mounting, balancing, and handling your Porsche with care while in their shop.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:07 AM
JayRace
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrthe1
I will need to replace tires soon on the 911 and I have used Discount Tire with success on my 5 series and the wife's X3. Have always used the Porsche dealer in the past for the P car.

My local Discount Tire Direct is new and seems to have state-of-the-art equipment. Please share your good or bad experiences using Discount Tire for mounting, balancing, and handling your Porsche with care while in their shop.

Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure you are going to get meaningful responses to this. Your experience will greatly depend on the individual assigned to your car. Discount Tire hires very green people and they do the most basic wheel balancing possible. I would never take my 911 to them but have used them for other cars with mixed success. They have damaged wheels in the past. I even had the manager write that there was no marks on the wheel lips when I brought it in and 2 wheels were severely scrapped on the lips when I picked up. I had to argue with them and refuse to pickup the car until they agreed the marks happened there. It was a major pain.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:47 AM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no direct experiences with Discount Tire because I would not use them. I have heard (i.e. second-hand) stories similar to JayRace's experiences.

I believe the old saying, "you get what you pay for" applies in this case. I put Discount Tire in the same category as Jiffy-Lube...YMMV.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:18 AM
JJ 88 Cab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used them several times and so did the PO of my 997; we both had great experiences with them.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:40 AM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JayRace
I'm not sure you are going to get meaningful responses to this. Your experience will greatly depend on the individual assigned to your car.
And store to store. I used discount tire for several years with no issues. Since moving I have been disappointed by the store nearest me on multiple occasions.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:33 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

I'd not trust them. MIL used Discount Tire, and they were slow and not exactly a great bargain. I order tires from Costco for wife's truck. For the fun cars, order from Tire Rack, drop ship to local Ferrari dealer, they install. Actually worked out cheaper than sourcing entirely from the dealer for a set of MPSS...T
Old 11-28-2017, 02:14 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I usually take my SUV's and minivans to them but when I took my 997's when I had 20"s to a custom wheel shop, they said they don't have machines wide enough (12" rears) to install my tires and suggest Discount tires. I was hesitant to take my 997 there but I did and had no issues. I have taken my 997 there twice to the same discount and each time I watched the technician replaced my tires through their glass windows and he seems very careful with the installation. It's a crap shoot, I've had great experience, YMMV.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:50 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

I have anything done with the wheels/tires done at my porsche indy shop. I have centerlocks though so I wouldn't end up considering anything else besides that or the dealer
Old 11-28-2017, 08:54 PM
morefun
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I’ve purchased a lot of Nitto NT01’s from them from over the years without any issues. Most competitive price on this popular R compound. Mounted on track wheels but, I never had any mounting damage or issues.

Last edited by morefun; 11-28-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:46 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

I have purchased from them many times when they beat Tire Rack prices....I pick up the tires and take them to my Indy for install.

I gave them one chance on a former MBZ I had with HRE wheels and they scratched each wheel. Lucky for me I had the Manager inspect each wheel before the install and had him tell me that they were perfect...so afterwards the claim was met with no questions and a new set arrived in a week.

No, they didn’t get a chance to install on the new wheels.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:37 PM
Rampage
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Bought a set of tires online from DTD and had them shipped to me across the border to Canada a few years ago for my BMW. Advan Neova AD08, couldn't beat the price anywhere else and the shipping, import, etc went very smoothly - overall I was quite happy. Then had them mounted somewhere I trust locally.

Quick Reply: Your Experience With Discount Tire Direct