Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 08:42 PM
mocohead
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Questions

Hi All,

I am about to take delivery of an 05 C2 and am super excited to join the P-car club. After weeks of reading I believe I have a good idea of what I am getting but have a couple of questions. I know that these topics have been discussed ad nauseum, and apologize in advance for beating dead horses. I have searched and been unable to find answers to my questions.

What I can tell is that the chassis has 40,000 miles on it. The engine number suggests that the motor is a 2008 motor (M95 05698...) so I am guessing the motor was changed some time 2008/9. So I am not worried about IMS at this point. I don't have service records for most of the car's life. So for the purpose of this discussion I am assuming the motor was changed 20,000 miles ago.

Here are my questions -

1. If you subscribe to the prophylactic water pump replacement school of thought, is it based on age or mileage? Assuming I have a 20,000 mile 9 year old motor, should I change it now or wait for 30,000?
2. The car has an aftermarket decklid with fixed spoiler. Is there an aftermarket software package that can program the DME to eliminate the spoiler error?
3. I am a HPDE instructor for BMW CCA. Do I need oiling mods if I run street tires?
4. Has anybody had any luck getting redacted service records from PCNA? If so, what is your secret?

Thank you all in advance for your input and patience. I
Old 11-25-2017, 09:38 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't subscribe to prophylactic change, so I won't answer that.

A dealer or someone with a durametric pro tools can clear that error

In run Rcomps and haven't seen concerning drops I'm oil pressure due to sloshing oil. I know there are baffled/deeper pans available.

My previous owner was a to figure out where the original owner serviced the car and they told him over the phone what was done. I think that's hit or miss.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:19 PM
mocohead
Rennlist Member

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2017, 11:53 AM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

On the water pump issue, I've seen heard on here of them failing at 20k and still strong at 100k, so how anyone could tell you I don't know. Hence why I don't subscribe.

I assume you are coming from the BMW world, too. You'll find the Pcar guys are a special breed . I have treated my 997 like any of my BMWs (including racecars) for the last 18mos, 25k miles and it hasn't burned to the ground and it definitely doesn't need bigger brakes on track. Have fun! Spend more time driving/tracking than reading RL!!
Old 11-26-2017, 12:33 PM
mocohead
Rennlist Member

Thanks! That's great advice. once I actually have possession of the car i will stop reading! For now this will have to do.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:45 PM
r_32
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the first pcar. It’s an awesome feeling for sure. So enjoy it in good health.

On your #4 I had luck compiling from two sources. The previous dealer was nice enough to actually mail me a copy and they cut off the portion with the owner’s name. Don’t call when they might be busy though.
Filled in a couple missing pieces through my own dealer after building a decent relationship through a bit of time.

Honey>vinegar definitely applies as you have no leverage and they have no incentive!
Old 11-26-2017, 02:33 PM
Shred
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

If you will track the car hard, you must install the underdrive pulley and Power Steering fluid cooler into the line. Look it up on the 'power steering weakness' or the m96/m97 motor platform. Guess how I found out? lol
You can install the FVD deep oil pan for oil starvation if you do long high G left(?) turns as on California Speed Car Oval section.

To get old records? Tell a P-car dealer you want to upgrade to a new car but need to sell the old one first. 'Can you send me the old records so I can sell it quicker?'
Old 11-26-2017, 04:20 PM
mocohead
Rennlist Member

All of your feedback is greatly appreciated!

I'm not doing Auto Club speedway anymore. The last time I instructed there I realized the speeds were very high in street cars with no cages. There are just too many walls. so I'll stick to Buttonwillow, Chuckwalla and WSIR.

Quick Reply: Newbie Questions