Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continental ExtremeContact DWS as a winter tire?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017 | 11:11 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cgaites
I think I know the answer to my own question, but am going to ask anyway.

This is my first winter with my 997.2 C2. I’m using the 911 as my daily. I’m currently running Michigan Pilot Super Sports on the OEM 18” inch wheels (Carrera IVs). The PSSs obviously are a non-starter for winter driving. So, I went to Tirerack to buy some winter tires to mount on my 18s. Unfortunately, the only option offered is out of stock (Pirelli Sottozero Serie II). The next best option I could find was a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06s. These are billed as ultra high performance all season, and according to Tireracks reviews have best in category snow performance.

I live in Denver, so get real - if infrequent - snow. I plan to continue to drive the 911 through the winter, but have a beater SUV for real inclement weather days. The main case for snow usage of the 911 is if I get caught at the office (~5 miles from home) or the airport (~15 miles from home) by an unexpected storm.

My question is, given my intended winter use of the 911, are the Conti’s sufficient as a winter tire?
I am in a similar situation to you; living in the mountains, and having a dedicated bad-weather truck, but having driven sportscars in the shoulder seasons.

I wouldn't hesitate for a DWS as a "winter" tire, but if you are only going to use them in the winter, you might as well get real winter tires. If you are going to leave them on all year, then buy the best all-season you can find; that is, the highest performing all-season. Most people don't need an absolute top end summertime tire for daily driving. With that said, if you have a set of summers, then a set of all-seasons in the winter isn't going to give you much over a proper winter tire, unless you are going to leave them on till May and put them back on in September when temps cool a bit.
Old 11-17-2017 | 12:44 AM
Greyghost230
Instructor

I drive the DWS on my Mercedes Coupe RWD. I leave them on all year in the Vancouver Canada climate. They are a nice tire, but get sketchy in the rain when close to the wear bars.

I agree with above, that for a 2nd set, go with a winter tire. You should have better control in the rain and slush - and then be properly set up for snow.
Old 11-19-2017 | 12:59 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

I have them, on my X3 for the occasional trip to Tahoe to go snowboarding.
they are supposed to be good in snow, they are NOT
Old 11-19-2017 | 06:57 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Check your messages. I have a set of snows and wheels for sale in Fort Collins:
18x8" & 18"x10" Porsche Carrera 3 wheels 57 offset front, 58 back.
With Conti Wintercontact snow tires. 7/32" tread left in front and 4/32" in the rear. Includes lug bolts.
Wheels are used but in good shape, no curb rash. Rear tires probably have a season left in them, fronts are probably good for a couple more.

Prefer pick up in Fort Collins, CO $800 obo.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 11-20-2017 | 12:30 PM
cgaites
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ColoradoMark
Check your messages. I have a set of snows and wheels for sale in Fort Collins:
18x8" & 18"x10" Porsche Carrera 3 wheels 57 offset front, 58 back.
With Conti Wintercontact snow tires. 7/32" tread left in front and 4/32" in the rear. Includes lug bolts.
Wheels are used but in good shape, no curb rash. Rear tires probably have a season left in them, fronts are probably good for a couple more.

Prefer pick up in Fort Collins, CO $800 obo.

Thanks,
Mark
Hey Mark,

I'm interested, but didn't get your PM. Could you give it another shot? If it doesn't work again, I'll set-up a burner gmail account an post it here.

Thanks,
Craig
Old 11-20-2017 | 04:13 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgaites
Hey Mark,

I'm interested, but didn't get your PM. Could you give it another shot? If it doesn't work again, I'll set-up a burner gmail account an post it here.

Thanks,
Craig
look in your rennlist private messages in your profile
Old 11-20-2017 | 05:51 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

I put a set of ExtremeContact DWS on my TTRS for some very snowy winters in St. Louis. They were great in cold, wet, snowy, and icy conditions. The only thing I didn't care for them for was summer. They just don't have the grip I was looking for and the sidewalls are a bit soft. I understand that Continental has improved the tire quite a bit since I put a set on the Audi. I would purchase another set for use in the fall, winter, and spring. But I wouldn't use them year around. I will say that they wore a bit quicker than I'd have liked. Otherwise they were pretty good for all seasons. Think I'm going to try some Michelin AS3+ on the 128i this winter.

Quick Reply: Continental ExtremeContact DWS as a winter tire?