Sponsored by:

Two Questions for the group

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 09:14 AM
gtvr6
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Two Questions for the group

Good morning everyone - I have two questions that I hope to get feedback and help with.

So recently I picked up an '05 911. This is my first and I love it so far. I have been a BMW guy (and still am) for years. I will eventually do a more formal introduction, with pictures (I know it doesn't exist unless you have pictures), but I have a few questions that I could use some help with.

Question 1 - I took her out this weekend and noticed that my air vents tabs do not swivel the air vents, I have 3 that seem broken (Driver's side and both center). I thought I had seen something on here but now that I need it, I can't find it. I would love to get some thoughts on what my options are (other than buying new vents) - I am open to DIY kits or solutions. I found a company called Vent Tabs with a simple solution but I don't see one for the 997 - I have reached out to them to see if they can suggest something.

Question 2 - I am in NY and with the winter weather approaching, the car is going into storage. Anything "special" I need to do? All I can think of is:
- Increase the PSI for my tires a little over normal so they don't flat spot
- Fill the car with gas (Should I use an additive?)
- Go start the car every few weeks. (Does this hurt more than help?)

What else? The garage it's going to be parked doesn't have power, so I can't connect a trickle charger - would I be better to disconect the battery?

Thoughts?
Old 11-13-2017, 11:26 AM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts

Dunno about #1. #2, use additive. Do not start until ready to drive. Put a good battery tender on it.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:06 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

Also dunno about #1.
#2. Yes use additive don't start until spring. Leave one window cracked about a cm to let the leather breath. Disconnect the battery and put it on a tender in your garage or some place out of the way at home. I did this the first year I stored my car. Worked great.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:50 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gtvr6
The garage it's going to be parked doesn't have power, so I can't connect a trickle charger - would I be better to disconect the battery?

Thoughts?

I would pull the battery, take it home and put it on a smart/trickle charger.

protip: climb into the frunk to remove/replace battery. that sucker is heavy.

Quick Reply: Two Questions for the group