Sponsored by:

What fell from my rear panel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 10:36 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts
Default What fell from my rear panel?

I changed the transmission oil on my 08 C4 today (40k miles). It was mildly difficult because the drain and fill plugs were seized and I didn't have any PB blaster. I refilled with Mobilube PTX and the shifts are MUCH improved compared to the 10 year old gear oil that was in there previously. Most impressively, the 1-2 shift is significantly improved.

However, the topic of this thread, is trying to identify what fell from the second rear panel!

I was removing the first and second rear panels for access to the drain/fill plugs on the transmission, and when I removed the second panel, this part fell down... I couldn't tell where it was located, or if it was just sitting on the panel and some prior tech left it there? I'm at a loss! Anyone know? There was plenty of dried oil on the panels, too.... it was not mentioned during the PPI. I cleaned up the panels prior to tucking them back in.

Name:  jybnyje.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  736.4 KB

Name:  pzkTyFQ.jpg
Size:  507.8 KB

Name:  hC4hH0D.jpg
Size:  637.6 KB

Name:  a27c09J.jpg
Size:  520.1 KB
Old 11-12-2017, 10:24 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Looks like the rubber bushing on the transmission carrier mount. I'll see if I can dig up a picture.

edit: yup, #3 in the diagram below part number 997.375.255.00. Check your motor mounts too. The easiest way is to look at the tailpipe gaps to the rear fender. If they are uneven or large then there's a good chance the motor mounts are going as well.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:17 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

This would be a good time to add the FF trans mounts if you ever considered them....just be fore warned of the NVH increase.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:29 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

RIght on, thanks for digging that up. The insert basically crumbled in my hand... Engine mounts seem ok to me, tailpipes are even. Are the trans inserts a garage/jackstand DIY type of thing? Looks like I would need to get a transmission jack.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:54 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

It can be done in the garage with jack stacks/ramps. Be sure the car is safely lifted before crawling under. Use your floor jack and a block of wood to hold the tranny.

Function-First sells transmission inserts. Take a look at their website for install instructions to get an idea of how involved of a project. I did DIY trans gear oil, trans inserts and shifter cables on jack stands in my garage. The trans inserts are no more involved than the trans oil change.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:19 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Excellent, thanks for the speedy reply. Did you use a low profile pneumatic jack for the trans or a manually operated one?

The trans oil change was definitely doable, and I need to do the front diff oil and final drive fluid as well... shifter cables are on the to-do list as well! The list is growing!
Old 11-12-2017, 03:46 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Btw, this video is excellent - might change out my trans mount bushing too.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:06 AM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Well I changed out my transmission mount inserts with the soft (orange) ones from Function First. I wound up going to a DIY auto shop and using the lift and am SUPER happy that I did. I would not have been able to do this in my garage because the transmission brackets required an impact wrench to break loose the bolts. My indy, who repaired a leaky cardan drive shaft seal, really torqued down on the bolts... I was not happy about that.

In any case, the transmission mount inserts are nice and do the job. Shifting quality is improved, especially from 1-2. I also changed the gear oil and so getting into first is drastically improved as well. There is an increase in engine noise in cabin (see other thread), but it is tolerable. Overall, not too bad a job. Took me two hours on the lift struggling with the bracket, but for ~200 installed, I'm pleased.

Quick Reply: What fell from my rear panel?