Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder 1 Misfire P0301

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017 | 07:58 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Default Cylinder 1 Misfire P0301

Relevent backstory: Filled up with Chevron Super day before yesterday, drove home 7 miles. Today, I give the girl a hand bath and head out to run errands. Its a fairly steep downhill from my house for about the first 5 miles. When I hit the flats, the motor was bogging down under load and I could feel a slight stutter. My thoughts were either bad gas or water from her bath sneaked in somewhere.

Check Engine /visit dealer light came on. I pulled over, shut down at Chevron station (bought a bottle of Techron). Fired back up, no light until I put the engine under load. The light has 'latched' since then but the hesitation under load is gone now.

Cheepo OBD reader (wouldnt clear the code) spit out Cylinder 1 misfire P0301.

My hopes are A) Bad gas, B) Over enthusiastic washing. Im letting it sit overnight to see if its a cold/warm thing

I guess it time to buy a decent vehicle OBD reader clearer.

Last edited by captainbaker; 11-03-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-03-2017 | 09:31 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by captainbaker
Relevent backstory: Filled up with Chevron Super day before yesterday, drove home 7 miles. Today, I give the girl a hand bath and head out to run errands. Its a fairly steep downhill from my house for about the first 5 miles. When I hit the flats, the motor was bogging down under load and I could feel a slight stutter. My thoughts were either bad gas or water from her bath sneaked in somewhere.

Check Engine /visit dealer light came on. I pulled over, shut down at Chevron station (bought a bottle of Techron). Fired back up, no light until I put the engine under load. The light has 'latched' since then but the hesitation under load is gone now.

Cheepo OBD reader (wouldnt clear the code) spit out Cylinder 1 misfire P0301.

My hopes are A) Bad gas, B) Over enthusiastic washing. Im letting it sit overnight to see if its a cold/warm thing

I guess it time to buy a decent vehicle OBD reader clearer.
Water in a cracked coil? Have you changed coils...ever?
Old 11-03-2017 | 10:27 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Hahaha glad im in good company. Slight chance, but I dont wash the engine....although its possible todays wash was the culprit. I have an iCarsoft porII enroute. Talked to my Pcar master mech and he said to clear it and see if it comes back. If so, he will do the coils and plugs from age.

Yes the plugs and coils are OE and it was on my 'To Do' list after an engine out on the Testarossa. Guess the Pcar gets bumped to the front of the line.
Old 11-04-2017 | 12:39 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by captainbaker
Hahaha glad im in good company. Slight chance, but I dont wash the engine....although its possible todays wash was the culprit. I have an iCarsoft porII enroute. Talked to my Pcar master mech and he said to clear it and see if it comes back. If so, he will do the coils and plugs from age.

Yes the plugs and coils are OE and it was on my 'To Do' list after an engine out on the Testarossa. Guess the Pcar gets bumped to the front of the line.
I just had this same issue in another of my vehicles: P0301 is a misfire in cylinder #1. In my case, Wayne Smith and I swapped plugs with another cylinder and rotated coils and determined that the plug in the cylinder that threw the code was bad. Since the plugs had been replaced just a few thousands miles previously, purchased/installed new plug and all was well.
Old 11-04-2017 | 04:16 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

And.......she fired up/ran like normal. Zero lugging etc. Gonna clear the code on Monday and take it to Porsche later in the week for a 60k (fluids coils plugs etc) service due to age not miles.

Quick Reply: Cylinder 1 Misfire P0301