Sponsored by:

Wheel Painting Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 07:51 PM
Bradinthe56
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Wheel Painting Advice

I've searched rennlist thoroughly and couldn't find any threads on this subject, so will try here...

Who has any experience with DYI wheel painting. I just picked up some lobster claws for track tires and want to paint them black/graphite/or something close. There's various solutions in the interwebs - Plasti-coat, VHT, the list goes on. I'm interested in Porsche owners who have done this themselves: what product, pleased with results/durability, what to watch out for, what steps in the process, etc.

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2017, 09:14 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

unless you are wanting to end up with a bad amature looking job, go on youtube and get some complete lessons on automotive painting. Painting a wheel is no less technical. The inevitable problem with wheels is that when you take a tire on and off, it will scrape the paint off the lip, thats why factory wheels are powder coated or have some special baking and hardening if paint is used
Old 10-26-2017, 09:23 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

unless this is for track purpose, I wouldn't even bother. Pay a few hundred bucks and have them properly powder coated. Its not a Honda Civic.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:53 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 97 Posts

I used Plasti on my Cayenne wheels for a few years. Just Matte Black so I didn't have to deal with a gloss coat. There is something of an art to getting a good finish. Too thin and it's difficult to peal off. Too much and you don't get a good finish. Lots of Youtube on this but it will take some practice. I'm not much of an artist and have little patience so I never got a professional look. Luckily, I have low standards. I also used it in the winter. It held up to a lot of abuse but eventually looked ratty. okbarnett is right, taking them on and off and getting them bolted will scrape a bit of paint off. It can be touched up but again takes a bit of skill. It becomes a pain and after a few seasons I stopped.

If you are still interested in Plasti, check out Dip Your Car

Also check out Auto Dip. They have a similar product that is supposed to be more better

Coincidentally, I just had my winter setup powder-coated for my 997. Got the call from the shop today to pick them up. $550 for gloss black. Plus $190 for OEM gloss black center caps from Suncoast Porsche (those pirates).

Last edited by Hula; 10-27-2017 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Added Info
Old 10-27-2017, 11:17 AM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Recently DIY painted these.
I removed the tires from the wheels, only because I have access to tire mounting machine, probably can do a decent job with tires on if you deflate and mask throughly.

Cleaned throughly with solvent to remove all traces of silicone and wax.

Scuffed throughly with scotchbrite pad to etch surface.

Used rattle can Rustoleum. Can and half for this job, 4 wheels. Only painted the spokes and rim, not the barrels.

Let cure for 2 days

Lightly scuff again

Apply 2K rattle can clear https://www.autobodytoolmart.com//sp...All%20Products

I allowed two weeks for the clear to cure before remounting the tires. Very pleased with this two part clear, it appears to be as durable as factory applied paint. Was able to wet sand and polish out any blemishes.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:33 AM
KeepItTidy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid someone to plasti dip my lobesters, dropped the car in the morning and collected it that afternoon. Cost me about $150.
Ive had one track day with them so far and a couple of washes, They still look good

Quick Reply: Wheel Painting Advice