Sponsored by:

Upshift indicator / economy assist arrow

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 07:44 PM
Instarand
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upshift indicator / economy assist arrow

Is this the funniest little quirk of the entire car? This economy assist indicator is basically in a perpetual state of “upshift please” until you get to 6th gear or unless your off the gas and decelerating. Like, they could have saved money and put a little sticker on the center console that says “if trying to save gas, please get to 6th ASAP.”
Old 10-23-2017, 09:50 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

Yeah, I think it is great. I just start out in 6th. Car has enough torque to get you moving.... I just love saving money. Sometimes, I don't even use the car..... and just revel in the money I am saving.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 10-24-2017, 12:13 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I try to up-shift as fast as possible, but I usually get scared coming out of 4th at redline. Not sure how people use 6th.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:24 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Instarand
Is this the funniest little quirk of the entire car? This economy assist indicator is basically in a perpetual state of “upshift please” until you get to 6th gear or unless your off the gas and decelerating. Like, they could have saved money and put a little sticker on the center console that says “if trying to save gas, please get to 6th ASAP.”
Porsche began putting those on their 911s way back in 1984 with the introduction of the 3.2 Carrera. Under pressure for better EPA mileage figures. Silly, useless, and a major distraction. Of course, it's always going to suggest that you upshift!
Old 10-25-2017, 11:21 AM
tuxkilla
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Yeah, I think it is great. I just start out in 6th. Car has enough torque to get you moving.... I just love saving money. Sometimes, I don't even use the car..... and just revel in the money I am saving.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Agreed Bruce. I also find that you can just leave the car in 6th while coming to a stop and unlock the hidden feature of auto engine stop at a traffic light 😀
Old 10-25-2017, 01:47 PM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had no idea they were still putting the "upshift" lamp in the newer cars. My '84 911 Carrera had it, but the indicator bulb mysteriously disappeared shortly after I bought the car.

Quick Reply: Upshift indicator / economy assist arrow