Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail lights protection film

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017 | 11:02 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Default Tail lights protection film

Finally bit the bullet and bought a new pair of tail lights for my 997.2. those things are damn expensive. Anyways, mine developed mini cracks inside the lens that seem to rediate from near the engine hood towards the sides. Happened for both lights... Now before installing the new lights I wanted to get ideas how to protect them from having the same defect again... The new lights have updated part numbers which hopefully have better quality plastics... Nevertheless I would like to put clear protection film on them... Do these things actually provide any protection? I understand its use for headlights but for taillights????
Old 10-02-2017 | 11:09 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

here's a link to my previous post so some would see the condition of the tails..https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...scratches.html
Old 10-10-2017 | 06:02 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Say Yes to PPF

Originally Posted by slicky rick

Finally bit the bullet and bought a new pair of tail lights for my 997.2. those things are damn expensive. Anyways, mine developed mini cracks inside the lens that seem to rediate from near the engine hood towards the sides. Happened for both lights... Now before installing the new lights I wanted to get ideas how to protect them from having the same defect again... The new lights have updated part numbers which hopefully have better quality plastics... Nevertheless I would like to put clear protection film on them... Do these things actually provide any protection? I understand its use for headlights but for taillights????
Congrats on the new tail lights. You're on the right track wanting to get them protected. Locate an installer nearest you -- XPEL Installer Locator -- and they'll be able to put some ULTIMATE paint protection film on them to protect them from scratches and cracking. It'll also make them easier to clean too.

Hope this info helps. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Old 10-10-2017 | 09:08 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

i have ppf on my tails as they were next to knew when i bought them.
Old 10-10-2017 | 11:42 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Maybe I will just think it prevents uv attack, which seldom happens for taillights, but... I guess it won't hurt to put... I'm just concerned at what caused the crazing before and would want to be more proactive to prevent it from happening again if at all possible. Though I'm highly suspicious it's a material problem as I've seen it on panameras and as some said here cayennes
Old 10-12-2017 | 07:43 AM
dspill
Intermediate

I have the same problem on my 2010. The left side has now cracked across the lens and is forcing my hand. Mine is a daily driver so UV damage is my guess.

Were you able to locate parts for less than $1K per set? I will definitely protect the new ones with UV film. Something is wrong with the material spec.

Quick Reply: Tail lights protection film