Sponsored by:

Major issue w new Dunlop Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 11:26 PM
Lahainabry
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Major issue w new Dunlop Tires

Hi Guys, First, let me say this is not a set of tires installed on my P Car.

Second, if this is the wrong forum, please move it to the appropriate forum.

Here is the back story, My wife purchased 4 new Dunlop tires for her car less than 2 months ago.
We drove our daughter to AZ last week, my wife driving. Arrived in Needles CA about 1 in the afternoon.

I took the wheel to Kingman. Lots of construction and rough road signs going from Needles to Kingman.

The car felt a little rough. However, there were road signs stating rough road for 20 or so miles.
(I need to add, I never drive my wife's car).

About 10 minutes into my driving, I knew something didn't feel right. Even with the rough road signs posted.
Got to the top of the incline heading to Flagstaff AZ. I noticed the car felt like the wheels weights were gone.

It was Friday afternoon and I slowed the car to 50 MPH and cruised into Seligman.

The tire shop was closed. We headed to Flagstaff AZ. Again driving about 50 mph. Arrived about 8 pm.

The very next am, I called the tire shop in Flagstaff. He said come on down.
He proceeded to inspect the tires and found 3 tires coming apart.
(Bulges in the tread). The 4th tire had a wider line down the center of the tread. (Like it too is coming apart, just not there yet).

I called our tire service guy back in CA and he gave me the warranty number for Goodyear/Dunlop tires.

They, of course, were closed. We needed the car working so, I took photos and bought 4 new tires. (Small town store, not a lot of choices).

I emailed them Saturday pm after arriving home. I called them Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, Not 1 reply. I again emailed them, told them my concerns, I also told them I had to purchase 4 new tires just to get home.

I received a very canned response today. She stated the tires must be returned to a dealer for the warranty claim. The representative from Goodyear/Dunlop actually had no idea, I think, About my previous emails and calls.

Now, I can dispute this on our CC, not an issue. However, I feel it is Dunlop that needs to step up and refund me, not our local dealer where we purchased the tires.

It seems there is a major issue with the Dunlop tires, ours were a 17? week build date difference.

I am a little mad given the fact if the tire came apart, we might not be here today.
The lack of care has me the most upset. The representative acting like it's not a big deal.

You guys always seem to have great answers, Should I just contest the charge? Keep in mind, I have records of all the calls, emails and photos of the separated tires.
It is my thought that Goodyear/Dunlop needs to make this right?

Thanks in advance,

Bryan
Old 08-31-2017, 11:50 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

you would always go back to the dealer you bought them from. If you have a problem with your car, you dont call germany and expect porsche to try to remedy it
Old 09-01-2017, 12:16 AM
Lahainabry
Racer

Originally Posted by okbarnett
you would always go back to the dealer you bought them from. If you have a problem with your car, you dont call germany and expect porsche to try to remedy it
Good point. We were over 500 miles away from our dealer and the tires were very unsafe. It was late Friday and Saturday. "Our" dealer was closed until Monday.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:33 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 91 Posts

As much as you would like Dunlop to reimburse you directly, I'd think addressing this through your tire dealer is the right place to start. It's up to him to do right by you then argue with Dunlop. Only if he doesn't satisfy you do you go up the chain yourself. IMO
Old 09-01-2017, 01:39 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

It's not your tire guy's fault (probably) but dealing with warranty issues is his responsibility. If the tires are crap, he'll get reimbursed by Dunlop.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:20 PM
Lahainabry
Racer

Originally Posted by Iceter
It's not your tire guy's fault (probably) but dealing with warranty issues is his responsibility. If the tires are crap, he'll get reimbursed by Dunlop.

Yes, I took the photos and receipt to our local dealer this am.
They issued a credit immediately to my card.
It sounds like, by the way, they were talking, they will not be selling Dunlop tires in the future.
Apparently, this is not the only issue they are having.

Hopefully, by me posting our problem, it saves someone the headache we went through.

Thanks for the reply's I appreciate it.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:25 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Had similar issue (belt separation) from Discount Tire. They had no clue. Tire Discounters about 200 yards away figured it out in five minutes. Went back to Discount Tire who immediately replaced the tire.

Quick Reply: Major issue w new Dunlop Tires