Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping sound from center speaker/dash when car off - amp/PCM disconnected

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 07:46 PM
Bigfish
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping sound from center speaker/dash when car off - amp/PCM disconnected

I have a 2005 997, and whenever I turn the car off and lock it, about every 15 seconds there is a static 'pop' from the center speaker in the dash (I have Bose).

I have the oldest version PCM 2.1 which is having an issue where it will not shut off when the car is turned off. You can hear the CD tray cycle about every 15 seconds. This is a common issue in early PCM 2.1, most of which were replaced. I am working to get it fixed, and assumed these issues were connected.

However, to save power from the PCM running itself, I pulled the PCM fuse and sure enough, hours later the static pop could still be heard (car locked, through open window). So, I disconnected the amp fuse - few hours later, same thing. Next, I disconnected the amp itself in the frunk -- still popping.

I used a Durametic to reset the ECU, just to see if some gremlin in the code was doing something weird. Nothing.

The car has a Denison 500, and I am wondering if that has an external power source that is not affected by the fuses, if it could be the culprit?

Otherwise, stray uninsulated power source is bridging, maybe?
Old 12-13-2017, 11:36 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same issue I think, and I can hear the power amp clicking.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:38 PM
Bigfish
Intermediate

Yeah, any ideas on a fix? We are thinking it could be an issue with the sub. But probably all goes back to the issues I've had with the PCM.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:40 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In my case I think the PCM is dead, or the fuse on it has gone. Will check this weekend.
The amp is clicking as if it tries to turn on and then decides not to, resulting in a popping sound in the speakers.
Removing the E10? fuse turns of the amp and the clicking and sound is gone.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:49 PM
Bigfish
Intermediate

Yeah, my PCM is dying which I think is causing a cascade of issues. Sometimes it shuts off when I turn off the car and other times the PCM keeps cycling. Even when I pull the fuse I get the popping sound. Very strange.

My steering control module just went out as well so keep an eye on that!

I guess it's better than an engine problem though.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:44 PM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigfish
Yeah, my PCM is dying which I think is causing a cascade of issues. Sometimes it shuts off when I turn off the car and other times the PCM keeps cycling. Even when I pull the fuse I get the popping sound. Very strange.

My steering control module just went out as well so keep an eye on that!

I guess it's better than an engine problem though.
I recently read about 997 ignition switches causing a variety of electronic problems.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:11 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

Funny I just read this thread as I’m about to search for LOUD static hiss coming from REAR speakers with the car shut off, when I first open the door. In fact mine kept on hissing AND the PCM was ON but no sound whatsoever, all the way to school drop and back home from it. 21F outside and Interstate battery needs replacing now. I pulled over on the way home and determined the drivers rear speaker is dead. I’ve removed the dead fried BOSE sub and enclosure long ago, and noticed that rear leather interior quarter panel was loose about a month and a half ago. It needed to be popped in. So an hour ago I restarted the car and sound is back. I guess my 06 PCM is kicking it? I’ll check the wiring to that rear speaker soon.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:32 PM
Bigfish
Intermediate

Alev, did you ever find a solution? Just curious. I have been pulling the D9 fuse on my car when it is parked for more than a few hours to turn off the PCM. Ghetto, but it works...

My car has a Dension Gateway 500 installed and it seems the installer wired the power to the battery direct rather than tapping into the PCM power. That could be causing some of the issues - the Dension stays powered even after I pull the D9.

Quick Reply: Popping sound from center speaker/dash when car off - amp/PCM disconnected