Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Android app for G - Force monitoring?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 12:34 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,646 Likes on 982 Posts
Default Best Android app for G - Force monitoring?

Not looking for a race app, just a free app that monitors G-Force using Android phone.

Accuracy?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-10-2017, 05:19 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Serious question. Why do you want to measure G-forces; is there something you are atttempting to track or measure? Or is this just something fun and interesting to track?
Old 08-10-2017, 08:29 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:44 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:30 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jkw911
Serious question. Why do you want to measure G-forces; is there something you are atttempting to track or measure? Or is this just something fun and interesting to track?
First, I am a dork who finds this interesting. B, I have the DSC software and I am trying to understand what .3 G actually is.... .3 is a threshold in their software table and frankly, I don't know when I crest this.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-10-2017, 09:34 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Harry's laptimer, literally the best tracking, car performance App out there by a LONG SHOT... now, accuracy I am not so sure as it's phone dependent, etc... if you want super accurate probably best is to buy a dedicated track devices that measure 0-60, G-forces, etc... but if only want an App, Harry's Laptimer is by far the best!

One key factor is phone mount, I bought a military grade mount that holds the phone very steady (can't quite remember the brand), and without such a mount the measurements won't be anything accurate.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:40 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
First, I am a dork who finds this interesting. B, I have the DSC software and I am trying to understand what .3 G actually is.... .3 is a threshold in their software table and frankly, I don't know when I crest this.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Got it. Thanks
Old 08-11-2017, 03:03 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Hey Bruce - I think you're also saying there's no UI with the DSC app that shows G-force. I wonder if it logs it though (you could at least use the values to calibrate your phone's accelerometers)? In any case, you want a visual cue of the current G-force to then probably correlate to how the chassis tuning has changed programmatically (how it feels). If the phone accelerometers aren't good enough, I think some standalone GPS units come with them for lateral G-force. I use the Torque app for the OBD2 stuff and it shows that it can be extended to work with the three accelerometers (plus total). Try the Google Play Store.

Let us know what you find. I have some fairly large flat parking lots near me and would love to layout a skid pad and measure the Gs that could be pulled. And when varying tire pressures, for example.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:55 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jchapura
Hey Bruce - I think you're also saying there's no UI with the DSC app that shows G-force. I wonder if it logs it though (you could at least use the values to calibrate your phone's accelerometers)? In any case, you want a visual cue of the current G-force to then probably correlate to how the chassis tuning has changed programmatically (how it feels). If the phone accelerometers aren't good enough, I think some standalone GPS units come with them for lateral G-force. I use the Torque app for the OBD2 stuff and it shows that it can be extended to work with the three accelerometers (plus total). Try the Google Play Store.

Let us know what you find. I have some fairly large flat parking lots near me and would love to layout a skid pad and measure the Gs that could be pulled. And when varying tire pressures, for example.
I posted a question in the DSC Tuning thread where DSC staff reply..... I would love to just pull what g-values are buzzing through the CAN bus.

The way I understand it, there is an accelerometer in the car for the PASM system (2009 997.2 and later only) and the DSC (and OEM Bilstein) system reads to then determine shock settings (among other items). I beleive this g-value is passed along in the CAN system.... but I could be wrong, it may being fed directly to the PASM control module via a straight cable... I just don't know. When I read the DSC documenation and threads, they imply all the data needed is buzzing around in the CAN bus.

If it is in CAN bus, I asked if my Durametric can read it. If so, then I can be assured that I will see what the software uses as imput.... which is ideal.

I like your idea of zipping around in a parking lot..... that is exactly what I want to do.... then I can make the same manouvers each time and then learn how the DSC software works and make better adjustments.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-16-2017, 03:55 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Did you try Harry's laptimer?
Old 08-16-2017, 11:38 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
Did you try Harry's laptimer?
No, I will try it this weekend....... gotta figure how to anchor my phone... how to orient it for best results etc....

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-16-2017, 10:44 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

No, I will try it this weekend....... gotta figure how to anchor my phone... how to orient it for best results etc....

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Here's the mount I got, most ppl on trackdays with other mounts got vibrations on the videos and I get it won't help with accurate measurements.

http://www.rammount.com/device/phone-mounts
Old 08-19-2017, 02:00 AM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did a search and i cant find the thread for Harrys on an Android or crackberry, Is there one? Im going to ditch iOS for googleplay/android/blackberry?

Im thinking of a 130mmx90mm might help with mounting. Anyone use this Blackberry Passport for a one device does it all
Amazon Amazon
Old 08-19-2017, 11:26 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

The way I understand it, there is an accelerometer in the car for the PASM system (2009 997.2 and later only)...
997.1's with PASM have them too but only a two-axis flavor. The .2's have a three-axis flavor. The DSC box needs a three-axis version to operate properly. This is why .1's need to install a three-axis accelerometer to get the DSC box to work whereas the .2's do not.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:17 PM
FUNKBRO
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G-force audible warning

I'd like to have an accelerometer that emits a warning tone when a certain lateral G force is attained. I'd like to know this so that I can adjust my driving technique on curvy roads. It would be better than my current "seat-of-the-pants" sensor.

Quick Reply: Best Android app for G - Force monitoring?