Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something you discovered about your 997?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017 | 09:22 AM
JCGMS
Instructor

Originally Posted by cosm3os
gas door pull in the door jam.
What????? Must go check....
Old 08-05-2017 | 03:19 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

I was pretty surprised when I found the secret ink pen slot in the glovebox. Kind of handy.
Old 08-05-2017 | 03:44 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Skwerl
I was pretty surprised when I found the secret ink pen slot in the glovebox. Kind of handy.
Better for a tire pressure gauge.
Old 08-06-2017 | 01:14 AM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jack667
on my sunroof 997.1, I can hit the button a second time, after it retracts, to have it retract even more fully.
I remembered this post when I was driving around today. Holy hell it works. Mine's a 997.2. Had it over a year and didn't know this.

Also, when you leaving the side view switch on the right mirror, it will tilt down when you engage reverse. Re-center the switch to cancel the tilt. Figured this out last week.
Old 08-07-2017 | 11:44 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Sometimes I wonder if the 911 is the first car some of you guys have ever owned.

Sunroof opening more after a second button push is very common. Manufacturers design the roof, then in pre-production testing, they figure out where the least amount of wind noise happens and have the roof stop at that point. A second push opens it to the originally-designed limit. Our 2011 GX460 did it, and I think my son's '06 Avalon does that, too. And the deal with the mirror switches activating the auto tilt function has been a thing for fifteen or twenty years on almost every car with that feature. I recommend a bottle of scotch, a good cigar and about two hours of reading the manual. You'd be surprised what's in there. :P

As for the OP's weird warning tone at 100mph--do you have a hard-wired radar detector or GPS in the car? Many of these systems have their own speed limit warnings and I wonder if this is what you are hearing?

For my part, the things that took the longest to get used to involved simple ergonomic items in the car. The Porsche was my first modern European car. Everything before that was either American or Japanese. I found these items required me to get used to them:

1. The key on the left side of the column. I like it now, and I actually bought a '72 Ford F100 about two years ago that has the key on the left side. It's handy.

2. The cruise control stalk functions the same way that all of our Toyota/Lexus stalks do, but the functions are different depending on which way you push the stalk. The Porsche controls actually make sense if you think about it, but after years of Lexus ownership, they were maddening.

3. When scrolling through a list, zooming in or out on the nav, scrolling through functions on the PCM, I find the direction of travel of the cursor to be opposite of how I would have done it. After five years with the car as my daily driver, I still find myself going the wrong way when I zoom in or out on the nav. It just does not make sense to me.

4. The gas cap on the passenger side still makes me pause to think about before I pull up to a gas pump. It makes perfect sense, but after owning American cars most of my life, having the filler on the passenger side still causes problems. If I drive our Suburban for a few days, then get back into my 911, the first time I fill it up I will almost always pull up to the pump on the wrong side.

But do I still love the car? Absolutely!
Old 08-07-2017 | 11:46 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

If I jack up the rear wheel , the same side front wheel will come up off the ground as well!

If I jack up the front wheel on one side , the wheel on the other side comes up off the ground as well!

Thats a stiff frame!
Old 08-07-2017 | 01:49 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Driving fast in Mexico is so much fun....
It's the only way to dodge bullets from the cartels, that's my excuse when I get stopped, you are welcome to use the same excuse.
Old 08-07-2017 | 03:13 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Iceter

1. The key on the left side of the column.

3. When scrolling through a list, zooming in or out on the nav, scrolling through functions on the PCM, I find the direction of travel of the cursor to be opposite of how I would have done it.
For those that are new to Porsche lore, the key is on the left side as homage to Porsche's Le Mans racing history. Watch some old vids of Le Mans starts.... the drivers run to their cars.... they jump in, start the car with their left hand while shifting into first with the right. Belts don't go on until the car is moving.

Everything is backasswards RPN on that Nav.... after four years of ownership, I still zoom in when I want to zoom out.

The AC OFF light switch is goofy.

Your Bose premium system plays 5.1 DVDs (DVD A).... try out a movie DVD with surround.... Try a newer musical.

A few times after I jacked my car.... I would get an "off road" or something like that on my dash... would go away once I started driving... I have no idea what sensor is at play here.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-07-2017 | 08:24 PM
Jlewis1436
Instructor

Originally Posted by Iceter
As for the OP's weird warning tone at 100mph--do you have a hard-wired radar detector or GPS in the car? Many of these systems have their own speed limit warnings and I wonder if this is what you are hearing?
Nope. No aftermarket GPS or radar in the car at all. There's actually no sound from the warning. It just shows up, and goes away. I don't really know what speed it goes off at. I don't look at the MPH too often...while in Mexico...
Old 08-08-2017 | 02:32 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jlewis1436
Nope. No aftermarket GPS or radar in the car at all. There's actually no sound from the warning. It just shows up, and goes away. I don't really know what speed it goes off at. I don't look at the MPH too often...while in Mexico...
Weird. That was my last idea.

Quick Reply: Something you discovered about your 997?